John Deere (36 inch Rototiller) Pulley

WilliamKrohmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a John Deere pulley that i'm having a hard time finding, it's on a J.D. rototiller #F033J420911M, the pulley locked up, and shredded 2 drive belts on the rototiller. I have pictures of the pulley. Does anyone know where i could get on?
[ATTACHREUSE]

000_0401.JPG000_0397.JPG

Attachments

• 000_0402.JPG
    000_0402.JPG
    617.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 000_0398.JPG
    000_0398.JPG
    667.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 000_0399.JPG
    000_0399.JPG
    656.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Is tiller tow behind tractor mechanical or hydraulic type tiller? Is F033J420911M from small data plate riveted to tiller? Can you provide us with tiller width & any other numbers or information? Thanks for your patience. Size of pulley?

Last edited:

WilliamKrohmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is tiller tow behind tractor mechanical or hydraulic type tiller? Is F033J420911M from small data plate riveted to tiller? Can you provide us with tiller width & any other numbers or information? Thanks for your patience. Size of pulley?
It's a 36 inch tiller that attaches to my John Deere 317 tractor, has 2 belts that engage the tiller, by a lever. What i measured was 3-1/2 inch pulley.... Wide, enough to accomodate 2 belts on the same pulley.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All of the quality aftermarket parts suppliers have a table of idler pulleys by size and most break them down into heavy duty , light duty & V
So measure the major diameter ( flange ) & minor diameter ( where the belt runs ) then the width and go down the lists to find one that is as close as possible.
As this is the clutching pulley a perfect match is not necessary.
Most pulleys use standard bearings with a custom bush where the bolt mounts so you can push the old one out & reuse it.

Now if you want genuine JD their parts manuals on line but you will need the model number of the tiller to find the IPL .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OK, two threads here so it is getting confusing
William actually put the sizes on the on the other thread, Scrubby can you toss it before we go mad
From the information he gave looks like a Stens 280-529 should fit
Just in case we can get the other one deleted and to keep it all together the reply sent previously follows
Click on this link for a Stens 280-529 .
Click on the right thumbnail on the left of the page under the photo when the page opens to see how it measures up to your pulley
Ignore the BS showing a double row ball bearing, no one has done that for decades
Have a close look at your pulley because way back when it was made, quality was important so a lot of pulleys back then used custom made inner races.
Now days it is all std deep groove ball bearings with a custom bush to fit the bolt and regulate the amount of stand off .( cheapness )

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When I took over part of the stock was a pulley assortment pegboard from Stens, Oregon, Prime Line, Rotary & Jack Max + a 25 Litre bin full of other pulleys.
The previous owner did not have either a press nor lathe so probably had around 200 different pulleys.
I have whittled that down to around 60 and usually press the new bush out with the old bush after turning a thin walled spacer so I can press against the inner race
After belts, getting my head around pulleys was the next hardest thing to do .
Down here we get ripped for OES Branded parts like pulleys
A deck idler for a Dixie Chopper was listed for $ 172 ( Aus ) & I found a standard one that fitted for $ 30 .
makes for happy customers.

WilliamKrohmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I took over part of the stock was a pulley assortment pegboard from Stens, Oregon, Prime Line, Rotary & Jack Max + a 25 Litre bin full of other pulleys.
The previous owner did not have either a press nor lathe so probably had around 200 different pulleys.
I have whittled that down to around 60 and usually press the new bush out with the old bush after turning a thin walled spacer so I can press against the inner race
After belts, getting my head around pulleys was the next hardest thing to do .
Down here we get ripped for OES Branded parts like pulleys
A deck idler for a Dixie Chopper was listed for $ 172 ( Aus ) & I found a standard one that fitted for $ 30 .
makes for happy customers.
Wow! I still can not find a pulley OEM :(

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Without the actual JD model number for the tiller you have very little chance of finding the JD pulley.
The days of parts counter staff saying"Oh yeah, I know them , that would be an xyz, I go check the box " are long gone
Pimple faced nimble thumbs will just look at you like your are a store dummy and say
"How do you expect me to look it up with no model number "
And remember JD did not make the pulley they bought it from a pulley factory
How close was that Stens pulley