john deere 160

robsfun62

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought this 160 to fix up and resell, it wouldnt start with out priming, I found the choke was not closing and fixed that, then it would start but only after turning over a zillion times each time trying but not starting. I put a new battery in, changed the flywheel key though it didnt look bad, compression was at 48 which im told would pass but I put a head gasket in anyway, cleaned the valves while I was there both were closing tight and opening, still no change in the starting, so I kitted and cleaned the carb, still no change then I bought a used carb, and kitted it and still no change, then I bought a relay kit for hard starting john deeres and installed it, no it starts right up but runs a little rough, the fuel jet is fixed and is new, the air jet is adjustable but Im finding it runs better when it is completely out meaning open hole? any ideas

robsfun62

Forum Newbie
Threads
I sprayed carb cleaner around all gaskets and no change except around the adjustable jet, the only other vacume is the short pcv connection, which i put grease on to make a tighter seal. Fuel lines seem tight.

PJ

Threads
If you say that it runs better open hole that means more air make it runs better? Basics air fuel ratio is not correct, is it fuel or is it air? If it is fuel could be a leak or a stuck needle valve. Or fuel jet to large. If it is air check inlet manifold for crack or gaskets leaking.

PJ

Sent from my iPad using LMF

robsfun62

Forum Newbie
Threads
it is air because when I put the kit in it, I sprayed air and cleaner through it and could trace the port from the jet entrance to the intake throat of the carburater and it has a brass bead which I believe is the air intake for the jet. is there any way to remove the bead and clean there or way to check if that is working? This is the only carb they put on the Kaw. FB460V engine and it is discontinued (for good reason I'm thinking). I was checking for carb leaks by spraying carb cleaner all around the intake gaskets while running and no change was noticed so I believe there are no vacume leaks. Choke is wide open so it can't get any more air, so to much fuel this is a non adjustable jet that came with the kit and was replaced. Should I plug a couple of its holes?

robsfun62

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey could it be the spark trigger? I checked the coil but didn't do anything with the trigger?