John Deere 14SB

rtm1141

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 14 SB and it gets grass build up around the drive pulley. How can I stop that? I use a plug and mulch my grass. It is completely open under the drive pulley.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Mow your lawn when grass is dry, preferably afternoon or evening.
I would purchase first two items non-stick mower protectant & scraper. Clean underside of deck with scraper first then apply protectant. Let us know how protectant works, may have to purchase some myself, thanks, Mark
You may have to fabricate cover for drive pulley.

Last edited:

rtm1141

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am not a rookie. The lawnmower is all open under that pulley and I think there should be a cover.

D

Deleted member 97405

There is a cover over the pulley area, but not under it. Over time, debris will build up in this area. This is normal. Part of your maintenance is to blow that area out occasionally with a leaf blower or air compressor.

rtm1141

Forum Newbie
Threads
I do that and it packs in very quickly like 15 min. just thought mine might be missing a cover under there. I use a plug and mulch the grass

rtm1141

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mow your lawn when grass is dry, preferably afternoon or evening.
I would purchase first two items non-stick mower protectant & scraper. Clean underside of deck with scraper first then apply protectant. Let us know how protectant works, may have to purchase some myself, thanks, Mark
You may have to fabricate cover for drive pulley.
I thought about fabricating something. When it packs in, then the spring that pulls the trans to neutral can't do it's job and hard to pull the mower backwards. I have put a new spring.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
I thought about fabricating something. When it packs in, then the spring that pulls the trans to neutral can't do it's job and hard to pull the mower backwards. I have put a new spring.
A used inner tube from tire store are usually free, easy to work with, & will usually work when fabricating, just think about it for a while. I once fabricated a shift boot for a steel truck with a used tube from our tire bay at Ryder Truck Rental. The injector line at rear of International DT466 engine was loose & spraying diesel fuel directly onto shift boot with inside of cab reaking of diesel fuel. I first tightened injector line, removed old shift boot & drove truck into wash bay. I sprayed inside cab floor & engine with high pressure hot water & soap mixture to get rid of diesel fuel smell. I believe I used a 24.5 tire tube because shift boot area to cover was very large on steel truck. Anyway it worked covering hole completely & was a tight fit making driver happy.

D

Deleted member 97405

Did the plastic bottom of the discharge chute break off? It is screwed to the rear of the deck and directs the grass up into the discharge opening where your mulch plug is. I have seen the thin metal piece at the rear of the deck get broken off and the plastic piece fall out. Then, the blade will throw grass directly onto the transmission. The blue area is the metal piece that breaks. The red area is the bottom of the discharge chute. Maybe this is what you have going on?

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 11

rtm1141

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did the plastic bottom of the discharge chute break off? It is screwed to the rear of the deck and directs the grass up into the discharge opening where your mulch plug is. I have seen the thin metal piece at the rear of the deck get broken off and the plastic piece fall out. Then, the blade will throw grass directly onto the transmission. The blue area is the metal piece that breaks. The red area is the bottom of the discharge chute. Maybe this is what you have going on?
I think you hit the nail on the head. Can it be replaced and would you have a part #