JD X330 with 2Bag Material Collection System: need more efficiency!

Stangl

Threads
  • / JD X330 with 2Bag Material Collection System: need more efficiency!
Will: I ordered my bags from JD dealer in Norwich , Ontario today. I was surprised; they were $85.00 CAD each. I had a productive talk with the JD technician. Interestingly he and his father both have the same machine; his father has no problem with frontal blowout because he has a thick lawn and the deck pretty well skims over the grass effectively creating a "seal". The technician has a sparse yard,like myself, and has the same blowout condition. They have the 48" deck with Power Flow and cut at 2 1/2". I neglected to ask if they had the Loose Weave option themselves. My bags should arrive this week!.
Ta ta for now,
Russ

Stangl

Threads
Will: I installed the bags. They almost work the same with somewhat of an improvement on the left side. I do believe that it is the condition of my yard. A lot of trees and sparse grass; so much so that there is too much space between the deck and the yard. I tried bagging at a shorter deck height.....same difference. I will be looking into the deflector kit or adding a rubber flap.
Russ

D

Deleted member 97405

Another trick I learned over the years is this: Remove your bagger chute. Blow the leaves into rows. Not too high that the deck drags them. With the blades on, BACK over the leaves. This makes the leaves enter the back of the deck, which means the blades will circulate them around underneath, which will grind them up into small pieces. It's essentially an instant mulcher!(also works with grass clippings) Then put your chute on and bag them up in the forward direction. We did exactly this over the weekend here at my inlaws place. They live in the mountain and have tons of leaves and very light grass. I dont like the flap idea because if you lower the front lip of your deck, you're just gonna be pushing the leaves in front of you, and you don't want to pile them up there because of the hot muffler. This reverse mowing trick works with all makes and models of mowers(my inlaws have a Craftsman). I have utilized it a ton over the years both with leaves and grass clippings. FYI, I mow with the old 1964 model 110 in my profile pic. That's proof that it works because that machine does not have a mulcher or bagger on it, and it works just fine with this trick! Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:

Stangl

Threads
Another trick I learned over the years is this: Remove your bagger chute. Blow the leaves into rows. Not too high that the deck drags them. With the blades on, BACK over the leaves. This makes the leaves enter the back of the deck, which means the blades will circulate them around underneath, which will grind them up into small pieces. It's essentially an instant mulcher!(also works with grass clippings) Then put your chute on and bag them up in the forward direction. We did exactly this over the weekend here at my inlaws place. They live in the mountain and have tons of leaves and very light grass. I dont like the flap idea because if you lower the front lip of your deck, you're just gonna be pushing the leaves in front of you, and you don't want to pile them up there because of the hot muffler. This reverse mowing trick works with all makes and models of mowers(my inlaws have a Craftsman). I have utilized it a ton over the years both with leaves and grass clippings. FYI, I mow with the old 1964 model 110 in my profile pic. That's proof that it works because that machine does not have a mulcher or bagger on it, and it works just fine with this trick! Hope this helps!
Will: This input is excellent. Often the variations that we make to get a good job done are not so obvious, but, they do work! I did notice that when backing over the leaves the action was different. Currently, we are having rainy weather; this weekend appears to be shaping up. I am looking forward to trying this method. Thank you.

Russ