JD Model 135 riding mower parking brake jammed

JEHunter

Threads
The parking brake will not engage on my Model 135 mower. The foot-operated brake itself works OK. The orange plastic parking brake handle on the dashboard seems to be intact but the metal rod that leads down to the brake mechanism from that handle won't move up or down. The brake safety switch is in place and seems to be working. I suspect something is jammed in the area under the engine compartment but have no idea what to look for or how to get under there for an inspection. It could be something as simple as a rock or bit of tree branch that has become wedged. I'd appreciate any suggestions that would keep me from having to send the mower to the local JD dealer. Thanks.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Have you tried to jam the brake pedal hard down and moving the brake handle down while holding the pedal down? Best way to diagnose that problem is to get an assistant, remove the deck, crawl under and have the assistant operate the parking brake while you look to see what is not moving. I’m guessing the release cam is jammed on the bake lever under the chassis.

D

Deleted member 97405

You pretty much hit on what the issue could be. You'll have to follow the linkage down underneath to make sure nothing is blocking #13. See attached picture.

1675198467534.png

Last edited by a moderator:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Great time to service your JD135 & have her ready for Spring. Remove deck & have a look, inspect underside of tractor, drive belt, idlers, lube & grease all moving parts. Inspect deck after cleaning, belts, pulleys, hardware, service blades, lube & grease where needed. Change oil & tune-up. Let us know what was obstructing the brake pedal, thanks, Mark
Engine cold adjust valves to specs. in Engine Manual.

Last edited:

JEHunter

Threads
You pretty much hit on what the issue could be. You'll have to follow the linkage down underneath to make sure nothing is blocking #13. See attached picture.

View attachment 63322
Thanks for the parts diagram. Having that for reference should be a big help. In looking at the diagram, I conclude that the lug on the side of part No. 7 engages the "fin" on top of part No. 13 to keep it from coming backwards when the parking brake is on. Is that correct?

JEHunter

Threads
Great time to service your JD135 & have her ready for Spring. Remove deck & have a look, inspect underside of tractor, drive belt, idlers, lube & grease all moving parts. Inspect deck after cleaning, belts, pulleys, hardware, service blades, lube & grease where needed. Change oil & tune-up. Let us know what was obstructing the brake pedal, thanks, Mark
Engine cold adjust valves to specs. in Engine Manual.
I had all that service done in December and ran the mower only a couple of times since then to pull a garden cart. I did run over some gravel the last time I used it, so I'm expecting to find a chunk when I look,

D

Deleted member 97405

Thanks for the parts diagram. Having that for reference should be a big help. In looking at the diagram, I conclude that the lug on the side of part No. 7 engages the "fin" on top of part No. 13 to keep it from coming backwards when the parking brake is on. Is that correct?
You're welcome. #7 is the part that connects back at your transmission, so #13 does not contact it. My recommendation is to take a look under your tractor and reference the diagram. It will all make sense when you look at it.

JEHunter

Threads
Problem solved. I managed to get a good look at the mechanisms and, with my wife in the seat and pushing the pedal, we jiggled things for awhile. The problem seemed to be a frozen pivot pin (represented by parts 12-15 on the diagram). I used a solvent to clean it out and then lubed it. Works fine now. I suspect that gravel dust and moisture around the pivot pin for the couple of months when the mower wasn't used caused the problem. Thanks for the help and suggestions from other members. Greatly appreciated.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Glad you told us you found the problem . Most guys never respond back, thank you.