JD lt-155 lawn mower out of time from the spark advance

pcman888

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / JD lt-155 lawn mower out of time from the spark advance
I have a jd lt-155 with a kohler cvs-15 hp ,the winding on alternator shorted and it got the spark advance module because it fires good after i put on new one but fires on the compression stroke every time.Have checked everything has to be that but i have the service manual on it and can't locate where this part is ,does anyone know where it is at on the mower so i can find it.Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Lets start with the model and spec numbers from your engine. I have never seen a SAM on a CV15. Some of the CV16 engines had them but never seen one on the 15 hp engine. If it shorted out the Stator under the flywheel is there a chance that the flywheel wasn't torqued correctly and now has a sheared flywheel key.

boatmoter

Threads
I have a jd lt-155 with a kohler cvs-15 hp ,the winding on alternator shorted and it got the spark advance module because it fires good after i put on new one but fires on the compression stroke every time.Have checked everything has to be that but i have the service manual on it and can't locate where this part is ,does anyone know where it is at on the mower so i can find it.Thanks
it will be under the top cover and on top of the engine, it works off the outside of the flywheel, check inside your shop manual,it should be about a 0.25 air gap adjustment and if it's 15hp seems you should have 2 for both cylinders

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
JD publish the best mower service manual that has ever been made
For your model it includes engine manuals that are better than the engine makers manuals
So do yourself a big favour and buy one from JD
We will still be here for help if neeeded but the JD Tech manual will turn you into an expert ovrnight ( if you read it )