JD L120 hydro transaxle failure

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
From what i have seen the standard K46 failure mode is whining and lack of movement. As Bert said the oil is bypassing the pistons in the pump. The true fix is a rebuild kit with pump and motor blocks. You can usually get more life by changing to a thicker fluid like 20w50. It will extend the life to some extent. If the fluid is changed to a higher viscosity fluid when new it really goes a long way to make the trans last. When the fluid thins from heat and the pressure builds in the pump to the point that fluid can bypass the pistons at supersonic speeds. That causes the whining noise and it scores the walls of the pistons and pump block.

xray man

Threads
[
We'll, Bert, I'd bet on your wisdom before my own. I'm sure you've torn down and repaired more of them than I have. So far it's still working fine. Should I drain it and refill it with what you mentioned in hopes of extending the life of it? And I wouldn't intentionally post any "tosh" to mislead anybody ,(for the record.) And I don't do Facebook or Twitter. Thank you

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Easy to be misled when you are in uncharted waters
and as Zappa wrote
Wisedom is the domain of the Wise
A mythical creature long since extinct.

I was trained in science so try not repeat anything unless I know it to be correct