JD L110 DO NOT START ONLY CLICKS

JMISSASL

Forum Newbie
Threads
My JD L110 was new on 2003. It has been very reliable. Maintenance by dealer every 2 years. I changed the solenoid myself few years ago. Now suddenly stopped. Gave a boost with my car. Mowed for a while an now only gives a clicks .
I would appreciate any help with this issue. Excuse my English....

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
If you can boost it with your car, i suspect a bad battery. Do you have volt meter/ multi meter?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Check the battery voltage, be sure its set to DC Volts, 20.
with the key off it should be at least 12.2 volts, 12.5 is great.
If you can attach the leads temporarily and then try to start see what the battery drops to, if it drops to about 10 volts or less, bad battery.
or most auto parts stores test batteries for free, so if you want to take it out and let them test it you can do that.

Gumby83

Threads
If you’re still troubleshooting this, I would add not to overlook the condition of the battery cables. Older cables that are stiff and have insulation pulling away from the terminals may need replacement, or at the very least, a good cleaning at the connections.

If the battery voltage is good, check to see what the voltage is at the starter terminal while attempting to crank (black lead to negative, red lead to starter terminal). It should read within 1.0 volt of battery voltage - more than 1.0 volt difference indicates high resistance between the battery and the starter (cables/connections or solenoid). If within 1.0 volt, perform the same check on the starter case - if it’s reading more than 1.0 volt on the starter case, this indicates high resistance on the ground side (cable/connections).

There’s a few more checks that can be made depending on the results of your tests, but that’s a basic troubleshooting of the starter circuit.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Also, check to see if the charging system is working properly.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would imagine Jmissal has his mower sorted by now as he posted in November & it is now March .

Now to John4803's video.
I am sure John thinks he knows what he his doing but his video is both trash & dangerous if followed as shown.
Hopefully he will go back& edit it or even better take it down all together.

1) the first check is to see if the trigger wires have both 12 V on one & ground on the other
2) second check is to provide those power conditions to the solenoid via external jumpers ( patch leads to some )
then & only then can you condemn the solenoid as deceased .
3) he shows himself working on the power cabled with the ground battery wire connected, a big NO NO.
EVEN VERY EXPERIENCED TECHS SUCH AS MYSELF WOULD NOT CONSIDER DOING THIS FOR 1 SECOND.
The chances of grounding out the wrench and shorting the battery and the consequences of doing this are so sever it qualifies for a Darwin Award.
While he does mention removing the ground lead in the last few seconds , posting a "how to" video then saying "do as I say not as you have seen me doing" in the final few seconds is just not good enough.
Even then he only mentioned the chance of shorting the solenoid, cranking the engine & having it start, which it can not do if the key is off which should be the very first thing you do before you touch a tool .
Next he obviously has no idea about how the solenoid works when he mentions which trigger wire goes where, they are not polarity sensitive .
If you don't know then best to shut up and leave it to those who do know.

And finally one of my pet hates with very bad You Tube videos, tying to film yourself freehand , camera in one hand & tools in the other .
If you are going to continue to broadcast your ignorance please GET A STAND of some sort , selfie videos just don't cut the mustard .

This is exactly why when you see me refferencing a video channel I only recommend those by Donnyboy & Taryl as both always make sure what they post is technically correct or it does not get posted.
I have fairly high standards that stem from the time I was a part time tech school teacher and my biggest problem was getting trash out of the students heads not putting good information in.
And for those wondering about Steve that some here like to cross post to.
Booze & wrenching do not go together and never should, any boozing is done AFTER the tool box is locked up .

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Totally agree with Bert, showing someone how to troubleshoot electrical problems without following safety precautions tells me you know just enough to get someone hurt. As a retired instructor you always teach safety first, then go through procedures.