JD L110 DO NOT START ONLY CLICKS

JMISSASL

Forum Newbie
Threads
My JD L110 was new on 2003. It has been very reliable. Maintenance by dealer every 2 years. I changed the solenoid myself few years ago. Now suddenly stopped. Gave a boost with my car. Mowed for a while an now only gives a clicks .
I would appreciate any help with this issue. Excuse my English....

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check the battery voltage, be sure its set to DC Volts, 20.
with the key off it should be at least 12.2 volts, 12.5 is great.
If you can attach the leads temporarily and then try to start see what the battery drops to, if it drops to about 10 volts or less, bad battery.
or most auto parts stores test batteries for free, so if you want to take it out and let them test it you can do that.

Gumby83

Threads
If you’re still troubleshooting this, I would add not to overlook the condition of the battery cables. Older cables that are stiff and have insulation pulling away from the terminals may need replacement, or at the very least, a good cleaning at the connections.

If the battery voltage is good, check to see what the voltage is at the starter terminal while attempting to crank (black lead to negative, red lead to starter terminal). It should read within 1.0 volt of battery voltage - more than 1.0 volt difference indicates high resistance between the battery and the starter (cables/connections or solenoid). If within 1.0 volt, perform the same check on the starter case - if it’s reading more than 1.0 volt on the starter case, this indicates high resistance on the ground side (cable/connections).

There’s a few more checks that can be made depending on the results of your tests, but that’s a basic troubleshooting of the starter circuit.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Also, check to see if the charging system is working properly.