JD D100 Will Not Start

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
put the carb in full choke position, and then with your finger push the top right corner of the choke valve in, see if there is any play inwards.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
BTW, did you ever check the flywheel key

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you get any sort of ignition with using very SMALL shots of starting fluid down the plug hole and a fresh plug ?
Till that happens then you are just chasing shadows.
What we seem to have missed is the timing key in the flywheel.
Undo the flywheel bolt and check the key ways
The 2 halves should joint together to make a perfect square & I mean perfect square.
That magnet looks a little too far past the magneto coil for the piston to be at TDC

PapaDrew88

Threads
Good morning all,

Still no ignition with small bursts of starting fluid.
I checked the flywheel key way last week. I pulled it off and it looked brand new, no evidence of sheering.
I will check TDC.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Have you Checked for spark with the coil kill wire unplugged?

PapaDrew88

Threads
no play inwards on the choke valve
no spark with the coil kill wire unplugged, plenty of spark when plugged in to coil
This is the position of the flywheel at the ignition coil at TDC
1605805204495.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now I am really confused
Are you saying when you pull the black wire with the white plug that is just under the left side of the coil off you get no spark and when it is re-connected you get a good spark ?
It should be the other way round, or a good spark both ways if the safety switches are all working as they should .
Please check that black wire
It should be closed to ground with the key in the off position & open with the key turned on .
Also check it for voltage there should be none in any key position .
So as I see it ( and there are a lot of things I have never seen ) the mower has a faulty coil

PapaDrew88

Threads
Just letting you know where I am with this. I believe it is a carb problem and flooding. I ordered a new carb for $20 and going to give it a shot. When i pulled the plug out fuel ran out of the plug. I drained the oil and pulled the filter off and it had smelled like gas.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
if it dumped that much fuel, the needle failed in the carb. It limits the amount of fuel allowed into the bowl, since the float is attached to it.