jd 322 gas engine

cbare2007

Forum Newbie
Threads
My tractor will start fine and run forever at idol but once I put it in forward it runs about 3-5 min and then automatically chokes itself out. I can start it back up right away but it immediately chokes out again. When it starts to die out I can give it ten more seconds by throttling it all the way down but then immediate stop when put in forward. Any ideas. Is there some kind of hydraulic pressure switch shutting me down maybe like a low oil cutoff. All help appreciated.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...

Are you Sure it is Choking itself ?? Choked out engine will typically produce a Lot of Black smoke before dying...
My first guess ...it is the exact Opposite... And it is running Out of fuel in the carb.... & if you were to apply the choke and choke it... it may continue struggling to run... Have you tried that, and what was the result???

If it is running out of fuel In the carb... check: gas cap vent.... Fuel filters, fuel line, fuel shut off devices... and last inside the carb itself for plugged or stuck passages or needle valve.... :smile:KennyV

supertuner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like a bad fuel pump,when they fail it sometimes doesn't show up until the engine is warm.That is if it isn't blowing out black smoke.

RENICK

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have very similar problem with my same 322 tractor

It idles low but will not take throttle without dying

I ran new fuel line and filter. Still does not work

How would I check my fuel pump strength or do they just work or not? I does pump fuel just does not seem like enough fuel?

I remove carb and cleaned jets and still no luck

Cranks and idles beautiful then dies

winkiecam

Forum Newbie
Threads
WELCOME to LMF...

Are you Sure it is Choking itself ?? Choked out engine will typically produce a Lot of Black smoke before dying...
My first guess ...it is the exact Opposite... And it is running Out of fuel in the carb.... & if you were to apply the choke and choke it... it may continue struggling to run... Have you tried that, and what was the result???

If it is running out of fuel In the carb... check: gas cap vent.... Fuel filters, fuel line, fuel shut off devices... and last inside the carb itself for plugged or stuck passages or needle valve.... :smile:KennyV

i have a 322 with the 3 cylinder gas. it has a similar but different problem. it starts and runs but the will die and not start almost like its a safety switch. it woill not even turn over, the you wait a little while and the it will start and do the same thing over again. does this engine have a low oil switch that will cut it off and not start, im stumped.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welcome to these Forums....
Check if you have spark at a spark plug next time it shuts off.... if there is no spark something is killing it.
If the starter is Not engaging to turn the engine over then there is something 'Open' in the starter solenoid circuit, check pto switch, neutral safety and or seat safety switch.... :smile:KennyV