J.D. X300 loses fire in short time mow

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Won't be under the dash. If the mower has time delay when you turn the key off it either has time delay module on the side of the engine or has a circuit board connected to the ignition switch.

Hayward51

Threads
Won't be under the dash. If the mower has time delay when you turn the key off it either has time delay module on the side of the engine or has a circuit board connected to the ignition switch.
I looked all over the mower and didn't find anything that looked like a time delay. Would the ECM act like the time delay when you turn the key off ?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ok get your mowing done , carefully, for now then it will be time to track down the actual problem
At this point in time I very strongly recommend you buy the JD technical manual for your mower.
The electrical section starts by telling what each bit does & how it works , then follows up with exactly how to test the mower with nothing more complicated than a multimeter and finishes by showing exactly where on the mower each switch is hidden .
It is not cheap , but good is seldom cheap and will pay for itself in bottles of burbon not needed to calm your frayed nerves and repairs to the holes in the wall you threw your tools through in frustration .
JD seem to believe in the old engineering adage
" there is nothing so simple that works so well that it can not be made better by making it more complicated "
Even worse is JD will have multiple different wiring on the same model plus different wiring again for the USA, South America , Pacific, Europe etc .
If I had a diagram for am X300 I would have posted it but I don't .

Hayward51

Threads
Ok get your mowing done , carefully, for now then it will be time to track down the actual problem
At this point in time I very strongly recommend you buy the JD technical manual for your mower.
The electrical section starts by telling what each bit does & how it works , then follows up with exactly how to test the mower with nothing more complicated than a multimeter and finishes by showing exactly where on the mower each switch is hidden .
It is not cheap , but good is seldom cheap and will pay for itself in bottles of burbon not needed to calm your frayed nerves and repairs to the holes in the wall you threw your tools through in frustration .
JD seem to believe in the old engineering adage
" there is nothing so simple that works so well that it can not be made better by making it more complicated "
Even worse is JD will have multiple different wiring on the same model plus different wiring again for the USA, South America , Pacific, Europe etc .
If I had a diagram for am X300 I would have posted it but I don't .
Thanks for your input. I found a wiring diagram and studying it, I'm leaning toward the ECM being my culprit.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The ECM module ( if you can find where they hide them ) is an expensive part to replace when a $ 5 relay could be the culprit .

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
if disconnecting the coil kill wire(s) stops the problem, if the repair cost is too high, could one add a kill switch toggle, label it and use that when shutting down the engine? In my mind's eye, anything that might trigger a shutdown in the logic could be the failed component. For example, let's assume for now that the ECM sends a kill signal when it is told to shut the engine down. If the ECM goes bad it could do that as a failure - but if say a safety switch is going bad, it could be sending an unwanted signal to the ECM to shut down. I think the advise to buy the manual is the path I would take. It is possible that more than one safety switch is involved, or even a connector that is corroded. Meaning - let's say the ECM expects 12V on a certain pin when it is safe to run, if there is a corroded connector that causes that pin's signal to go away then that could cause it. Unless one has the manual to detail the logic the system uses, I think it would be quite time consuming to dissect how the system is supposed to work electronically.

Campers99

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the same issue on a 2012 x300 so am very interested in the result. I have done the obvious and confirmed the cap vent works, replace the seat switch, and fuel pump. I have confirmed the issue is related to spark so the ECM is next but would prefer to be able to confirm before buying a $100 part.

Hayward51

Threads
I have the same issue on a 2012 x300 so am very interested in the result. I have done the obvious and confirmed the cap vent works, replace the seat switch, and fuel pump. I have confirmed the issue is related to spark so the ECM is next but would prefer to be able to confirm before buying a $100 part.
The owner said go ahead and buy the ECM, she's paying, so I did. Installed the new ECM, started the mower fine but, key switch would not kill engine. ?? I cleaned all the safety switch connectors and PTO switch connector. I has worked without issues since. I can't say now if it was the ECM, dirty connectors, or both. Good luck !