It can't be this easy.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
M# LGT2654
Product # 960450047
S# 061815A031116

Briggs 407777 0274 G5

It used to have a Kohler twin cylinder on it. But switching to a Briggs from a JD. This is just going to be for pulling a yard trailer. No electric PTO anymore or deck, since the Brigg's has the smaller crank, from a JD that had the manual PTO lever.

First off, I still have a ways to go before I fire it up. I still have to tighten up the engine mounting bolts, connect the throttle and choke cables etc etc

When trying to sort out the wiring harness, One plug matched up from the Husq to the Briggs. For grins, I turned it over and had spark. Surely this can't be that simple, can it? That the husq that came with a Kohler is going to have the same plug connections for a Briggs?
The last time I did an engine swap there was more to it than that. But it's been so long, I've forgotten what wires and plugs I had to switch out. I remember the purple wire giving me the most trouble.

Oh, I almost forgot, I robbed the key switch from the JD that the Briggs came off of.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bought a Country Clipper a few years ago that had a blown Kohler single Courage on it. Had a junky JD 105 I think it was that had a Briggs single on it. Had to come up with a muffler. Found a new pull off on line that worked. Mounted the engine went to hook up the wiring and it was plug and play. Go figure you are not the only lucky one. LOL

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bought a Country Clipper a few years ago that had a blown Kohler single Courage on it. Had a junky JD 105 I think it was that had a Briggs single on it. Had to come up with a muffler. Found a new pull off on line that worked. Mounted the engine went to hook up the wiring and it was plug and play. Go figure you are not the only lucky one. LOL

I generally don't get this lucky. Note my pessimism.. :);)
I'm a firm believer in "If it's too good to be true, then it probably is."

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't jinx it, just ride the wave........LOL (y)

After buttoning up a few things, It fired up and ran smooth as a kitten. I couldn't test drive it because the seat safety switch needs to be done away with. All of them, in fact. And I'm going to have to find a different size drive belt.

But the alternator, at high idle was charging the battery at 13.93v.

I had to drill some holes in the frame, flip the muffler bracket, to mount the Briggs muffler (instead of the Kohler). I guess Kohler has longer pipes. And with that bracket on the Kohler muffler, the briggs pipes just wouldn't reach down in it far enough.

I think that messed with the way the hood goes on. I removed the rod that goes under the muffler mounting plate. (it wouldn't fit with the other muffler)
None the less, She's getting close.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
It looks like I'm going to have to weld extensions onto the Briggs tail pipes and go with the muffler that came with the Kohler. That's the only way to get the muffler mounting plate bolted in the right direction, and the hood mounting rod back in and the pipes deep enough to go into the muffler.
I'm enjoying the mental work out this thing is giving me. There's been a lot of "Why didn't I think of that to start with" going on.

Just for grins, I put the Kohler pipes on and they didn't match up with the muffler holes. I guess the Kohler heads are a little wider? Which is strange because the holes in both mufflers are the same width. I tried to bend one over 1/2", but for some reason my map gas wouldn't get the pipe hot enough to weaken the steel.

Forest#2

Threads
I got into about same thing recently removing aq Briggs Intek from a Cub Cadet and Installing a Kohler.

Removed the motion drive pulley and PTO from the Brings onto the Kohler, wiring plugs interchanged, minor wiring to the starter because the Kohler does not use a external starter solenoid BUT
was more user friendly to just buy the correct used Kohler muffler for the frame instead of trying to mod the Briggs muffler and also set the Briggs engine with muffler back as a spare after it was re-built.