Is there money to be made by working?

Charlie8d

Threads
If you buy, or get a FREE non-running mower , it can cost you more than it is worth to get it ready for sale . So many have bad transmissions or engines.

semimechanicman

Threads
I dont have a shop but I have a fairly large garage that slowly turned into something of a mechanic shop over the last years. (kind of lol) I usually find my mowers that I sell by using facebook marketplace, craigslist and offerup. Ive had pretty good luck with the mowers I buy (or free sometimes) to fix and usually cost originally from $50 -250 depending on the condition of the machine and cost about 100 or 150 dollars to fix... usually. I usually clean the carb because that is usually the problem of the mower apart from it being crazy dirty and abused. If it doesnt start after cleaning the carb, I check for other problems and if I have to, buying a new carb. They also usually need a few new tires and blades and usual services like oil change, greasing, and sometimes a little paint or glossy clear paint to make it shinier. After im done, I check it and mow the grass with it for 40 minutes or so to see that there are no problems. After this I put them up for sale and are 90% of the time sold after less than 5 days. Ive also had some occasions were the mower is sold in less than a day!

I also fix up some two cycle engines like blowers or weed eaters but I mainly fix push and self propelled mowers and riding mowers.

I price my riding mowers just in the middle and in my area the usual price is from 600 ( an average 2007 42" cut Craftsman in decent shape) to 1400 or so for a nice 2018 54 inch cut mower. For example a 2009 Troy Bilt Pony I sold was priced at 760 and I sold it at 720, it was in like new condition with 2 new tires, blades, carb, air, fuel, and gas filter, and just greased. I like for the machines I sell to be extremely clean so I like it and the person that buys it as well. Another example would be a 42" cut 2017 Cub Cadet XT1 I sold for 910 dollars. It also had new blades, cleaned carb, tires, filters etc and looked very nice and worked perfectly.

For the price of a standard push mower I sold was for 105 dollars. (nice looking murray 140 cc push mower) It had a sharpened blade and new carb, and oil. I bought it for 15 bucks when it was for fixing. Larger push mowers for example a honda 160 cc self propelled with bag, blade stop and choke control I sold for 250 which was also nice condition.

Ive only had one person contact me for a return of the mower but apparently didnt work properly when he used it but when I used it to cut the grass twice it worked just fine.

I only do this (apart from earning some money) for fun because I like fixing mowers but not much else. Im sort of a DIYer myself lol

SueHender

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think in retirement you just need to relax and not think about how to make money

Lawn Addict
Threads
IDK, around here getting new mowers in for Dealers is getting to be a challenge. For some reason, they can't seem to get new stock.

That said: there may be a narrow market for good used riders. Not gonna get rich, that's for sure. But might make a few bucks. Just my .02.

JordanLess

Forum Newbie
Threads
Apologies for joining the conversation so late, but I couldn’t resist chiming in. As I can see, you're enjoying working on restoring old mowers and making a little bit of money on the side. As for discounted parts, have you tried looking into salvage yards or online marketplaces like eBay or Craigslist? You might be able to find some good deals on parts there. Additionally, if you're interested in exploring more options to earn extra cash enjoyably, you might want to check out joywallet.com. They offer a variety of ideas for making money, including side hustles, online opportunities, and even some fun and creative ways to earn cash. It's always great to have more options, so why not give it a look? Best of luck with your money-making endeavors!

Last edited:

bartles

Threads
Apologies for joining the conversation so late, but I couldn’t resist chiming in. As I can see, you're enjoying working on restoring old mowers and making a little bit of money on the side. As for discounted parts, have you tried looking into salvage yards or online marketplaces like eBay or Craigslist? You might be able to find some good deals on parts there.
Thanks for your input. I do check those resources and get luck every so often. I really appreciate your advice!!

bartles

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would just like to post a warning to all who think refurbishing old equipment for resale is a good idea. Please take a good look at your liability?? In my many years of working in this industry I’ve seen countless times where people (both dealers and DIY guys) have been sued by those looking to make a quick buck. Most DIY guys don’t realize that if they are selling a piece of equipment, they have worked on, they can be liable for injuries and/or damage that may be caused by said equipment. I personally know of three guys who lost major dollars in law suits. One sold it to a relative. Even though I only repair about 2 dozen units a year and being 70+ years old I still carry a 1M liability policy to protect my family. Only takes one mistake or bad guy to ruin your “hobby”.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have to agree with Rivets. If someone gets hurt today lawyers are involved. I too carry a 1M liability policy. When someone gives you money for something you assume some liability. I don't do much flipping but when I do sell something I do a bill of sale and state on it that the equipment is used and I warranty it for 30 days and accept no liability for its use.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Even simple things like a chain loop has to have a warning bout correct use and a "Danger Sharp" sticker on it
This is why a lot of businesses get rid of surplus stock via an auction because auctions generally as "as is where is " with neither warranty nor liability ataached to it .
Down here Ebay has the same status but Fac Book Market place or Gumtree or Trading post do not .
Failure to carry insurance can be a disaster
While a friend may not want to sue you, when the bills come in and the banks are chasing the house payments that changes in a flash.
If you are not a qualified certified repair agent then you will be taken to the cleaners as you first need to prove you competencey to a court that only recognises papers from colledges.
After that you have to prove it was not your fault and the purchaser was aware of the dangers
So I ve a roll of tape that reads "Danger Sharps " it is intended for medical waste but I stick it over every chai saw blade I sharpen, every mower blade I see And on the top of a chain saw bar
And parts bad big enough for a child to place over their head has to have the suffocation warning on it which is wht I use small sandwicj bages for small itens and old cartons for bigger orders .
If I have to leave them out & they might get wet I wrap them completely with packing tape ifI do not have a bag with a warning on it .
In my 11 years of trading, only had one customer try an injury claim
While I won the case, it cost me $ 5,000 in legal fees and I got a big dressing down from the magistrate for not "properly advising the customer of the potential danger" she obviously had never cut grass in her life .
IT was only a small claim for $ 75,000 making a claim against my insurance would have added $ 5000 to my annual premium each & every year for the next 5 years