Is the Toro Z master G3 a good model?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
On the frame between the engine & the fuel tank / seat depending upon the model
Clutch bearings are not replaceable so it is new clutch time .
They are also not cheap
start a new thread about "need a replacement toro Time-master clutch "
You should get a lot of good information
When you take it off double check that it has been assembled correctly
Down here they all have Warner clutches fitted and on Warners ( don't know about others ) you can fit them with the rotor on the wrong side of the brake magnets .

And FWIW I use a long stud when fitting electric clutches to take the weight while I align the key ways
Some times I luck them strait away the other 99% it isa 20 minute battle to get them on .
Polish the PTO shaft and apply some copper anti seize .
On some you can grind away the bearing retaining tabs, fir a new bearing then MIG a couple of dabs back on to hold it in place .
As a workshop I do not do this but I do have a few clutches sitting in the "might get repaired box ".
Again a few You Tube vids with bods showing it being done , but you need to be a dab hand with the welder so you don't cook the dust seals in the bearing
If you are lucky you might be able to pop the seals , clean out the old grease & put some fresh Bentonite ( brown stuff that stinks ) grease in there but don't overdo it because the balls have to roll in the race not slide over them.

yawg

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here are the answers to the questions I asked if anyone else ever reads this.
Almost all hydro fluid comes out when taking out the filters. No need for a flush.
Bearings for PTO are 6208 and 6008. I bought them with 2RS seals. Had to grind the retaining tabs on the clutch to take them out, and just hammered back some new tabs in after new bearings were in. Easy job. My engineering background tells me that those tabs don't do a whole lot mechanically (no force act against them), they just keeps everything from wobbling off. Would probably be OK without any tabs anyway.
One of the spindle was loose, turns out the previous owner had messed with it, and seemed to have mix-matched the spacers (which come as a matched set of specced length) so the preload on the tapered bearing was incorrect. I had to get inventive to get it working.

The engine really lagged behind after I finished all the maintenance, turns out it was running on 1 cylinder only. There was spark to the other cylinder but it shocked me a lot less than the good one. Swapped coils between #1 and #2 and suddenly the other cylinder wasn't running, so it was a bad coil. Changed the coil and it now runs to spec.
I put in 5W30 synthetic but I hear those air cooled engine like the added zinc content which diesel oils have so I'll switch over to my diesel oil 15w40 when I can.

edit: Just saw your answer bertsmobile1, as it was hidden in page 2. Got it done but it would have been easier with your tips for sure. My arms were a bit sore after taking the clutch on and off a few times for double checks haha.

Last edited:

haydencampbell

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Toro Z Master G3 is generally considered to be a reliable and high-performance commercial zero-turn mower. With a 72-inch deck and 1400 hours of use, it seems like a good fit for your farm needs. The Kawasaki engine is also a trusted brand known for its durability.

In terms of comparisons to other brands, the John Deere Z930 and Scag Cheetah are both also highly regarded in the commercial mower market. Each brand has its own strengths and weaknesses, so it's important to consider your specific needs and preferences.

As for the price, it's difficult to determine whether $3900 is a fair price without knowing more details about the mower's condition and history. It's always a good idea to inspect the machine thoroughly and ask the seller for maintenance records before making a purchase.

Overall, the Toro Z Master G3 has a good reputation and could be a solid option for your farm. Just be sure to do your due diligence before making a purchase.

yawg

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Toro Z Master G3 is generally considered to be a reliable and high-performance commercial zero-turn mower. With a 72-inch deck and 1400 hours of use, it seems like a good fit for your farm needs. The Kawasaki engine is also a trusted brand known for its durability.

In terms of comparisons to other brands, the John Deere Z930 and Scag Cheetah are both also highly regarded in the commercial mower market. Each brand has its own strengths and weaknesses, so it's important to consider your specific needs and preferences.

As for the price, it's difficult to determine whether $3900 is a fair price without knowing more details about the mower's condition and history. It's always a good idea to inspect the machine thoroughly and ask the seller for maintenance records before making a purchase.

Overall, the Toro Z Master G3 has a good reputation and could be a solid option for your farm. Just be sure to do your due diligence before making a purchase.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I bought it a few months ago already for $3600 delivered. I knew there was something iffy with the engine, so the "due diligence" was not passed with flying colors, but I figured anything wrong would be likely easily fixed (which it was - bad coil). I had a bunch of other little things to fix too but I didn't mind, and it should be a strong mower for a very affordable price. The grass better watch out now!