Introduction

wrede

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2004 Gravely zero turn 148Z mower, and mow a somewhat hilly 1 1/2 acres of lawn. I added a slight extension to the hitch to accommodate my TracVac leaf/trimmings pickup unit, which is trailer mounted. The TracVac was originally purchased with a 1979 Gravely twin cylinder lawn tractor that served for 25 years, but then suffered an engine failure. The zero turn has been quite reliable but with three minor problems, which developed in the first few years. Soon after buying it a fuel pickup hose broke due to fatigue at the tank entrance fitting, and they were replaced free with a better design. The main drive pulley on the motor came loose, but luckily fell off just as I stopped in the driveway. I got a new bolt, just to be sure, and used Locktite to secure it. The third thing was that the main drive belt rubbed through a hydraulic hose, causing a leak. I replaced the hose and installed it with more clearance. Mowing performance is very good, though it doesn't mulch very well, and so I use the TracVac quite a bit, but also so I don't throw the trimmings into the planting beds. I tried the mulching blades with the "cuts" in the ends, but it's about the same. Also, one thing I quickly learned about a zero turn, especially in shady areas where the grass is thinner, is that it will make the turn, but leave a big divot. I have worked out a mowing path where I do almost all the tight turns on the driveways, and so can avoid the problem. The mower has now been trouble free for years, and so I'm pretty happy with it. For sure the frame, hydraulics, and mower deck and mountings are near enough bullet proof.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 2004 Gravely zero turn 148Z mower, and mow a somewhat hilly 1 1/2 acres of lawn. I added a slight extension to the hitch to accommodate my TracVac leaf/trimmings pickup unit, which is trailer mounted. The TracVac was originally purchased with a 1979 Gravely twin cylinder lawn tractor that served for 25 years, but then suffered an engine failure. The zero turn has been quite reliable but with three minor problems, which developed in the first few years. Soon after buying it a fuel pickup hose broke due to fatigue at the tank entrance fitting, and they were replaced free with a better design. The main drive pulley on the motor came loose, but luckily fell off just as I stopped in the driveway. I got a new bolt, just to be sure, and used Locktite to secure it. The third thing was that the main drive belt rubbed through a hydraulic hose, causing a leak. I replaced the hose and installed it with more clearance. Mowing performance is very good, though it doesn't mulch very well, and so I use the TracVac quite a bit, but also so I don't throw the trimmings into the planting beds. I tried the mulching blades with the "cuts" in the ends, but it's about the same. Also, one thing I quickly learned about a zero turn, especially in shady areas where the grass is thinner, is that it will make the turn, but leave a big divot. I have worked out a mowing path where I do almost all the tight turns on the driveways, and so can avoid the problem. The mower has now been trouble free for years, and so I'm pretty happy with it. For sure the frame, hydraulics, and mower deck and mountings are near enough bullet proof.

Welcome to LMF. Great first post, thanks for sharing your experience and tips....:thumbsup:

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Welcome to LMF! As JDgreen said, great first post. I look forward to reading more of your posts in the future. :smile: