Interesting new cordless electric lawn mowers from EGO and Greenworks

riverguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Interesting new cordless electric lawn mowers from EGO and Greenworks
Well, the Greenworks battery weighs about 4-1/2 lbs, whereas the overall weight of the mower including battery is over 70 lbs. So, the battery is a small percentage of the overall weight, and I doubt you would notice the difference with the battery position. The mower comes with only one battery, so unless you buy a second battery, only one of the battery compartments will be used.
Was planning on a extra battery. What do you think about the newer style controls on the Greenworks? I'm not sure if I'm going to buy one or not. I bought a brand new 21" Honda hydrostat drive yesterday. The battery one would be for the wife mostly. She's about to retire and thinks I'm going to let her help me with the mowing.

MowerMike

Threads
Was planning on a extra battery. What do you think about the newer style controls on the Greenworks? I'm not sure if I'm going to buy one or not. I bought a brand new 21" Honda hydrostat drive yesterday. The battery one would be for the wife mostly. She's about to retire and thinks I'm going to let her help me with the mowing.

The controls seem fine to me, but I’ve never owned a self-propelled lawn mower, so I can’t really comment on them. If this is for your wife, perhaps you might consider a smaller lighter mower that is easier to handle.

wrldtvlr

Threads
Menards has a pretty good deal on the MasterForce 80V with one battery bay and the old style handle bar and controls.

And Menards is running their 11% rebate program pretty much continuously these days.

dougmacm

Threads
The Greenworks 25" 60V mower with it's dual blade and auto switching dual battery features over complicate the mower.

It is a single motor driving a gearbox of some sort that keeps the overlapping blades timed so they don't hit each other. Like everything now a days, it is likely a sealed no maintenance gearbox so I'd be concerned with this failing prematurely.

In the description they state 25" cut, but the pictures state 25" deck. All the Greenworks made 21" mowers are a 21" deck with a 20" long blade / cutting width, so is this dual blade mower really a 25" cut or not ??

I just bought the Kobalt KMP 6080-06 80V Self Propelled on clearance at Lowes for $497.17 last Friday. It has a different thumb operated Self Propel button vs. the Masterforce more common Bale Lever like my 40V Greenworks and my old Lawn-Boys have. I really thought this thumb actuated SP button might be irritating considering I've had bale actuation for 21 years, but instead I adapted to it rather quickly and it does not bother me a bit ... it almost feels more natural and maybe even better than the bale lever since the way the handle is formed both your thumbs are right there anyway.

I'd recommend either this Kobalt mower or the Masterforce as they are simpler than the 25" 60V GW. The Kobalt has a 6Ah battery where the Masterforce has a 5Ah, but if the Greenworks batteries are truly interchangeable with MF (Kobalt & GW are not) this would be a big plus.
The Kobalt is $52 cheaper than the GW 25" 60V and $73/$10 cheaper (before/after 11% rebate) than the Masterforce, so there is that too

The blades for the 21" deck mowers are more readily available too. Both my 40V GW and the 80V Kobalt use the same blade and I'd assume it would be the same blade on the Masterforce.
Lowes stores usually keep this blade on their shelves:
.https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-20-in-Multipurpose-Push-Lawn-Mower-Blade/1000178401
Lowes states it is for 20" mowers, but this is wrong as it is a 20" blade for 21" mowers (GW p/n GLB333041179 is stamped on it).

There have also been generic Greenworks 80V batteries out there for a while and you can get them in both 3Ah (short) and 6Ah (long) sizes. The largest genuine GW battery is 5Ah.
One of these battery companies in China recently started offering a Kobalt 6Ah version so I snapped one up on ebay yesterday for $140.00+tax. This is less than 40% of the cost of a genuine Kobalt 6Ah battery ($359.00), so figured it is worth a shot.

Doug

MowerMike

Threads
@dougmacm - Just to be clear, @riverguy was considering the Greenworks 21” single blade dual battery port 60 volt lawn mower, and not the 25” dual blade model.

dougmacm

Threads
@dougmacm - Just to be clear, @riverguy was considering the Greenworks 21” single blade dual battery port 60 volt lawn mower, and not the 25” dual blade model.

Guess I did not see that you had mentioned that mower as well in the opening post ... so that 21" 60V mower comes with 1 5Ah battery and would be $49 cheaper than the Kobalt.

He did also mention he was not sure of the goofy control levers which would be a concern of mine too until I had a chance to try them out.

Both this and the Kobalt being at Lowes he could compare them side-by-side.

Doug

MowerMike

Threads
Another consideration is whether @riverguy even needs a self-propel mower for its intended purpose. It's going to be used for trimming where the tractor can't go, which is probably a lot of forward and reverse motion where a self-propel is more of a hindrance than help. Unless the terrain is hilly, I'd think a push mower might be a better choice. It's less expensive, lighter and simpler.

riverguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Checked out Menards & Lowes today. Yeah we do the 11% rebates at Menards all the time. Ended up buying the Greenworks at Lowes. Pretty much all of our mowing is on a hillside, some places steeper than others so self propel was a no brainer. If you let it roll forward a couple inches it rolls completely free so you only have to use the self propel where you want to. They showed itresize mower.jpg at $449.00 online but in the store it was $399.00 with charger and 5.0 ah battery. $100.00 off regular price. Also had the blower marked down $20.00 with a 2.5 ah battery. Ended up $604.59 total for mower kit and blower kit with tax. The controls seem to work good, maybe even better than my Honda. It's raining here so only tried it in garage. Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:

MowerMike

Threads
@riverguy - It looks like you got a great deal on that mower. Did you get the new 610 CFM model blower ?

riverguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
@riverguy - It looks like you got a great deal on that mower. Did you get the new 610 CFM model blower ?
Yes, that's the one I got. It was $179.00 online but $159.00 at the store. Charger was identical to the mower one., just the smaller battery. I'm going to hold off on the extra battery for now. Would have to order it. Either a another 5.0 ah for $199.00 or a 6.0 ah. for $229.00. The 80v system at menards would have been roughly $157.00 more. I liked the looks of the Masterforce better but the controls on the Greenworks will work better I think.