Info on stens shipping

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did you report the failure to Stens as they normal stand behind their products. But now of course I am a Stens dealer too.

Also verify the belt length as Stens might sent the wrong belt.
Pulley.jpg
The lasted a couple hours

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
View attachment 68772
The lasted a couple hours
Have a polite chat to your rep
I had some do a similar thing a long while ago & Stens replaced the pulleys and a belt .
Now there is a bit of a trick here a well
If Stens list the pulley as a replacement for the OEM one in there catalogue then they will replace them
But if you have just found a pulley that is the same dimensions as the OEM one but they do not say it is a direct replacement then they will not replace it .
I had 2 plastic V Tensioner pulleys split along the casting line when I fitted them to a JD Z445 .
Now the Stens pulley was exactly the same size, but thinner than the JD one which apparently is why they do not list it as a replacement .
I usually buy a plain pulley if possible & swap the stand off bosses so I can come to grief some times but when I can swap a $ 95 Husqvarna idler for a $ 25 Stens pulley and 2 minutes press work well worth it because the customer thinks I am really good when I charge out at $ 60 .
You have to make up profits where you can
I did go the the effort of turning up 8 tubes to support the inner race but now it is literally 2 minutes on the hand arbour press .

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I am still $40 / hr. but I am going to $50.
To replace two deck pulleys and a belt should be about 1&1/2 hours of labor book time. Your labor rate of $40/hour, and increased to $50/hour is way too inexpensive, unless you are newer and just getting started. At $75/hour you would have charged $115 versus the $50 in labor you charged. Most shops around here are $100/hour and up.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
To replace two deck pulleys and a belt should be about 1&1/2 hours of labor book time. Your labor rate of $40/hour, and increased to $50/hour is way too inexpensive, unless you are newer and just getting started. At $75/hour you would have charged $115 versus the $50 in labor you charged. Most shops around here are $100/hour and up.
On this mower I can change the mule drive deck belt and idlers in 10 minutes.
"Newer and just getting started"
😂

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
If you want to be about half the cost of average labor rate of many shops, nobody is stopping you. I don’t know how long you have been working on small engines is why I added the “newer” part.

If you can do all that in only ten minutes, then you should have charged about $5 bucks. See how that works?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I would definitely get with the rep. As both the 280-386 and 280-645 are listed as heavy duty and by oem supplier. But if you brought them through a third party like an Amazon source then that might be the problem as they probably subbed them. I had those Amazon supplier to pull that trick on me before.

I have since got with Stens and now buy from them direct just like I buy Rotary parts from Rotary instead of a third party

BTW Rotary does offer a slightly smaller pulley as a replacement for 956-3045 under PN 12275. It is only a sixteen smaller diameter. Not riveted but is spot welded. This the CC 02005079 commercial pulley.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And just think my want to charge only $10 per hour when he started this business. I had to have a serious talk with him about that rate.