I'm not THAT old...yet

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I posted this story on TBN a few years back, got to thinking about it recently, and decided to share it with everyone on this forum...

I was shopping for used books at a local thrift store, and I happened to spot a brand new, still in the carton brass halogen strip light, a premium brand name that usually sold for about $20 at the local big box home centers...and it was only $3.99 !! I had just recently purchased a new oak computer desk with a hutch, and the light would be perfect for it.

Grabbed it off the shelf, and walked to the counter, the kid running the register was maybe 19 years old, she rang the light up at about $3.00, not $3.99, and as I paid for it, I asked if the light had another markdown I wasn't aware of. She said, "no sir, we always give the SENIOR CITIZENS (emphasis added) a discount here", pointing to the sign overhead..."25% discount to those age 65 and older, PROOF OF AGE REQUIRED (emphasis added).

Well, I had just turned 55, and was feeling very healthy and energetic that day, I inquired of her, "Miss, do I really look 65 years old?" Her reply, "No, not really..." :eek:

I said, well, would you please ring this up at the marked price, and when the transaction was completed, I walked out the door, shaking my head, and muttering under my breath about the aw-dassity of today's younger generation. And while the light was a teriffic bargain, and looked great on my new desk, every time I turn it on, I will remember that incident and realize that some day soon, I will be old enough to qualify for that discount.

For the rest of you, when you are mistakenly given a senior discount, do you speak up, or shut up and take it?

grnspot110

Threads
If they offer, I take it! :biggrin: And, I do now qualify in some places. :thumbsup:

Gray hair has to be good for something --- besides making me look distinguished :eek: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ~~ grnspot110

minkyung

Threads
Respect for old age is very strong in my country.*In your story, I think many will not mind and accept the discount. But people here look at the ID to see a person's age.

indypower

Threads
I address women who I don't know as "mam" such as "yes mam" "thank you mam". I said that to a clerk who was about 25 and she got very offended at being called "mam". She yelled "MAM? I'm not 40 yet!!!" I never knew there was a minimum age for "mams".

Driller

Threads
I'm not there yet and I've never been given it. I have never forgotten as a kid though that I went to a matinee and wanted the kid price and they thought I was too old. I actually had to call my parents to bring my birth certificate to prove I wasn't 13 yet.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I posted this story on TBN a few years back, got to thinking about it recently, and decided to share it with everyone on this forum...

I was shopping for used books at a local thrift store, and I happened to spot a brand new, still in the carton brass halogen strip light, a premium brand name that usually sold for about $20 at the local big box home centers...and it was only $3.99 !! I had just recently purchased a new oak computer desk with a hutch, and the light would be perfect for it.

Grabbed it off the shelf, and walked to the counter, the kid running the register was maybe 19 years old, she rang the light up at about $3.00, not $3.99, and as I paid for it, I asked if the light had another markdown I wasn't aware of. She said, "no sir, we always give the SENIOR CITIZENS (emphasis added) a discount here", pointing to the sign overhead..."25% discount to those age 65 and older, PROOF OF AGE REQUIRED (emphasis added).

Well, I had just turned 55, and was feeling very healthy and energetic that day, I inquired of her, "Miss, do I really look 65 years old?" Her reply, "No, not really..." :eek:

I said, well, would you please ring this up at the marked price, and when the transaction was completed, I walked out the door, shaking my head, and muttering under my breath about the aw-dassity of today's younger generation. And while the light was a teriffic bargain, and looked great on my new desk, every time I turn it on, I will remember that incident and realize that some day soon, I will be old enough to qualify for that discount.

For the rest of you, when you are mistakenly given a senior discount, do you speak up, or shut up and take it?

First reaction: Why don't I have thrift stores like that in my area?

Second: Don't think/worry about it -- she's very young. Try to remember your view of anyone over 40 when you were 19.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
First reaction: Why don't I have thrift stores like that in my area?

Second: Don't think/worry about it -- she's very young. Try to remember your view of anyone over 40 when you were 19.

Sad to say, the vast majority of thrift stores in this area are on the southern side of town (5 each) and the remainder are on the west side (3 each) there is only one Goodwill within 3 miles of me, the rest are a 15 to 20 mile drive. It is very hard to find bargains these days, more people are shopping at the thrift stores and fewer are donating good items like the light I found.

Yes, I agree...to a 20 year old us guys and gals over 50 look like we are ready for a nursing home or casket already LOL LOL. What bugged me about that incident was I had just had my annual checkup a day or two before, the doctor told me I was healthier thasn the average 40 year old man, and people always comment on how good I look for my age. I thought the members here would get a laugh out of the story, I sure do enjoy telling it.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
the doctor told me I was healthier thasn the average 40 year old

HA ha ... Oh well things could be worse... you could look old AND be in poor health:biggrin:...

:smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
HA ha ... Oh well things could be worse... you could look old AND be in poor health:biggrin:...

:smile:KennyV

Or I could look YOUNG and be in poor health...I would rather look my age and be healthy.

rmancini

Threads
I turned 60 back in the summer and I take every advantage of senior discounts that I can.
The minimum age to qualify as an "old fart" varies in my area from 55 to 65 so I always ask.
For the longest time I had a full beard which eventually turned completely white. I didn't mind being a senior, but, I sure got tired of the Santa Claus jokes!:laughing:
Rich