Export thread

I'm about done with Partstree.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Warning, I'm ranting.

This is my 4th time to use (or try to use) Partstree. The first order, when I lived in Texas was exactly like it was supposed to be. Parts in stock, they got sent out that day. Everything showed up quick.
The next two time, I ordered, only to find out later, that the parts they said were in stock, were actually not. Took almost two weeks to get one part.
Yesterday, I made an order. This morning I get an email saying their was a discrepancy with my mailing address. That it wasn't the same as the billing. And they needed me to "verify." Well, DUGH!!!!!!, I'm the one that made the order. I'm the one that put in both addresses. And I'm the one that paid for it. So how much more "verification" do you need?
Now, instead of the customer getting his HH60 tomorrow, more than likely it'll be Monday afternoon now before the parts get here. UHG!!!!!!

All this verification crap is getting out of hand.

It was the same way with getting auto insurance last month. Talk to one person, which I verified "me" to one person. Then get switched to someone else who wants to verify "me" again.
The last one that did that, I told her to get all that verification info from that one that passed me onto her, and then call me back when you've verified "me."

J

jp1961

Hello,

I've ordered from Partstree several times, although i don't run a business that depends on timely deliveries. I usually try to support local lawnmower parts shops, but even they, sometimes don't have the part in stock and need it shipped to them first. Living in a rural area, it's best for me to call first, to see if they have it, if not, then online.

Lots of companies use third party verification services, it covers their ass, when dealing verbally over the phone. There is no "paper trail" when dealing verbally over the phone. I'm not an attorney and don't play one on TV,,,lol.

Regards
Jeff

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Warning, I'm ranting.

This is my 4th time to use (or try to use) Partstree. The first order, when I lived in Texas was exactly like it was supposed to be. Parts in stock, they got sent out that day. Everything showed up quick.
The next two time, I ordered, only to find out later, that the parts they said were in stock, were actually not. Took almost two weeks to get one part.
Yesterday, I made an order. This morning I get an email saying their was a discrepancy with my mailing address. That it wasn't the same as the billing. And they needed me to "verify." Well, DUGH!!!!!!, I'm the one that made the order. I'm the one that put in both addresses. And I'm the one that paid for it. So how much more "verification" do you need?
Now, instead of the customer getting his HH60 tomorrow, more than likely it'll be Monday afternoon now before the parts get here. UHG!!!!!!

All this verification crap is getting out of hand.

It was the same way with getting auto insurance last month. Talk to one person, which I verified "me" to one person. Then get switched to someone else who wants to verify "me" again.
The last one that did that, I told her to get all that verification info from that one that passed me onto her, and then call me back when you've verified "me."
I dunno but you look pretty sketchy to me.?
Give me you credit card info and social security number and i will verify you.?

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Hello,

I've ordered from Partstree several times, although i don't run a business that depends on timely deliveries. I usually try to support local lawnmower parts shops, but even they, sometimes don't have the part in stock and need it shipped to them first. Living in a rural area, it's best for me to call first, to see if they have it, if not, then online.

Lots of companies use third party verification services, it covers their ass, when dealing verbally over the phone. There is no "paper trail" when dealing verbally over the phone. I'm not an attorney and don't play one on TV,,,lol.

Regards
Jeff

I guess I'm just old fashioned. I don't need to be verified. I know who I am. If someone steals my credit cards or information, then it's on me. Unless my computer is hacked. Then it's on the anti hacking software I'm paying for, which has lifelock. But still my responsibility to have things like that since I don't know much about computers & hacking.

cpurvis

cpurvis

I guess I'm just old fashioned. I don't need to be verified. I know who I am. If someone steals my credit cards or information, then it's on me. Unless my computer is hacked. Then it's on the anti hacking software I'm paying for, which has lifelock. But still my responsibility to have things like that since I don't know much about computers & hacking.
Someone managed to charge $100+ worth of food to my credit card, without having the card--I had it the entire time. But all it took was one phone call to the CC company and they took it off, told me to shred the card, and they sent a new one. FedEx delivered it and just threw it on the floor of the porch by the front door.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Someone managed to charge $100+ worth of food to my credit card, without having the card--I had it the entire time. But all it took was one phone call to the CC company and they took it off, told me to shred the card, and they sent a new one. FedEx delivered it and just threw it on the floor of the porch by the front door.

Someone who stole your card, didn't get verified at least 2 times before making a purchase? And the FedEx guy didn't verify who he was giving the new card too.??????? Good grief.

So I'm about to move to another state, and my drivers license had just expired. I wasn't going to renew them if I was moving. So the day before the move, I went to rent a storage building. They wouldn't rent me one because my license was expired. So, i went to the DMV to renew it. But since it was expired, I had to go to the court house to get a copy of my birth certificate to verify I was the one pictured on the license. But since my license was expired, I had to go get two bills from the house to verify I was who I was.

Run down: The state DMV couldn't verify I was who I was, even with the picture ID THEY issued me. The court house couldn't use the state issued drivers license as verification, but they could use to bills with my address on it, not my face.

It's REALLY getting out of hand.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Should have used your CCW permit. Gov't issued picture ID. Had a woman freak out when i used it for ID once. OMG!

I haven't had any issues with verification. I have the Real ID Driver license, & CCW permit.

Parts tree, they did ok on my last order. No complaints. But I'm just a rez user. My thing is Harleys.

StarTech

StarTech

Government workers are quite lazy at times. Here Tennessee is issuing real id too. Well went for renewal last June. They already had previously required me to provide Birth certificate and two local bills just because moved into the state when I first got here to get a state of Tennessee driver license. They issue me a new DL for eight years that is not a real id version. Now they want to go through whole process get the star added and another renewal fee.Since I not planning any flying or going into any government building except the SS office in the near future, I am just going to let it ride.

I am still trying to figure how some window washer in California got my chipped card info. I only had the new card for short time when I got a $800 charge for window washing. Of course I got a new card now. I also went got one of RF resistance wallets. What a pain as I can't carry it around in my back pocket like I did my previous wallet which was butt compatible.

Just ask someone if they take Federal Reserve Notes when they have a sign cash only posted. Most times the first resonance is no. They don't know what a Federal Reserve Note is.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Both times my card got compromised it was at restaurants. Where else do you hand your card to someone and they disappear for a while? I use my phone with samsung pay now.

cpurvis

cpurvis

Both times my card got compromised it was at restaurants. Where else do you hand your card to someone and they disappear for a while? I use my phone with samsung pay now.
Mine got compromised in a restaurant that I'd never been in and I had possession of the card when it happened. That suggests to me that the restaurant workers were in on the scam. How they got my credit card number is a mystery to me unless it was via one of those gas pump skimmers or something similar.

If these dumb azzes would work half as hard at a job as they do in crime, they'd be rich.

B

bertsmobile1

I use cash or cheques.
Never buy anything with a card except on line & that is a debit card with just enough money in it to cover the costs .
Pay wave is the least safe way to pay for anything.
Countlees hundreds of people down here have been caught with card readers in a bag walking through crowded places while pinching small amounts from peoples digital wallets.
BEcaue the billing name is rarely the vendors name it is hard to work out just where that $ 20 was spent , and that is assuming you even check your statement.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

My accountant told me to pay by check as little as possible. Since they passed the electronic banking act you don't need a paper check to take money from a checking account. You check has your bank routing number and account number on it. All someone needs to take money from your checking account. I use the evil PayPal as much as possible when buying online. Personally, i keep my millions buried in the backyard in mayonnaise jars?

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Should have used your CCW permit. Gov't issued picture ID. Had a woman freak out when i used it for ID once. OMG!

Having a CCW permit turns your 2nd Amendment right into an accepted government privilege. I have never accepted that privilege. I stand by my right. Getting a government permit to carry is like asking them for permission. Permission to do something you're supposed to have a right to in the first place. "Shall not be infringed" has no caveats.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I use cash or cheques.
Never buy anything with a card except on line & that is a debit card with just enough money in it to cover the costs .
Pay wave is the least safe way to pay for anything.
Countlees hundreds of people down here have been caught with card readers in a bag walking through crowded places while pinching small amounts from peoples digital wallets.
BEcaue the billing name is rarely the vendors name it is hard to work out just where that $ 20 was spent , and that is assuming you even check your statement.

HA, If someone hacked into my bank account, they'd feel sorry for me and leave me a few bucks.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Mine got compromised in a restaurant that I'd never been in and I had possession of the card when it happened. That suggests to me that the restaurant workers were in on the scam. How they got my credit card number is a mystery to me unless it was via one of those gas pump skimmers or something similar.

If these dumb azzes would work half as hard at a job as they do in crime, they'd be rich.

When using the card at the pump, I always give a little tug on the reader. They pop right off, from what I've heard. I've never found one. But still give a tug, none the less.

StarTech

StarTech

Using a Debit leaves you responsible until you can prove you didn't make the purchase. CC's will give you a provisional credit while they research your claim.

Don't laugh. I don't have a cell phone of any kind for one reason so service at the home and shop. As paying bills at restaurants it is good old cash, my card never leaves my presence. The last two times have at vendors. The first was Bailey's and I have used my there anymore, just use Paypal for many purchases now as it give me a double layer of protection.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Using a Debit leaves you responsible until you can prove you didn't make the purchase. CC's will give you a provisional credit while they research your claim.

Don't laugh. I don't have a cell phone of any kind for one reason so service at the home and shop. As paying bills at restaurants it is good old cash, my card never leaves my presence. The last two times have at vendors. The first was Bailey's and I have used my there anymore, just use Paypal for many purchases now as it give me a double layer of protection.

Stens doesn't take PayPal, do they?

StarTech

StarTech

And please enlighten me what is a CCW permit?

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

And please enlighten me what is a CCW permit?

Concealed Carry Weapon permit.

L

Lord_Cavendish

The problem with paypal is that contesting a purchase/getting a refund is a pita. Getting charges reversed on a CC is easier, and your protections are in law. Used to use cash, just not practical. As for debit cards or bank checks, that's the lowest level of security, they will drain your bank account, seen it happen.

Frankly, I use 1 card for everything, it pays me back 2% into my fidelity 401k...even use it for paying utilities. Keep a few thousand dollars on hand, in clean 20's, for the zombie apocalypse, but rarely use cash.

Of course the best level of security that some folks use for purchases is a one-time-use CC number that credit card companies will issue you when you are concerned about the veracity of a seller...its attached to your normal card, but its made to use 1x.

As for 2-level authentication, welcome to the computer age, brother. You are on a forum that asks for a password, and then makes you click a box to make sure you aren't a robot, and that's for a transaction of $0.

StarTech

StarTech

OKay I No longer have one of those. Tennessee requires to go to a class and pay someone to said I am okay again. Doesn't stop from having one at the shop and home.

B

bertsmobile1

Stens doesn't take PayPal, do they?
If you have a trade account then you should be getting monthly statements and you can pay them with a cheque.
Down here you get a discount for paying when ordering but it is only 2% where as my volume discount is 15%.
And by using a cheque you don't accidentially miss a payment which on a credit card down here cops a fee + 19% / pa interest.
Statement accounts also means you have the chance of being paid by the customer before you pay your suppliers which is vital if you are running on very limited capital.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

If you have a trade account then you should be getting monthly statements and you can pay them with a cheque.
Down here you get a discount for paying when ordering but it is only 2% where as my volume discount is 15%.
And by using a cheque you don't accidentially miss a payment which on a credit card down here cops a fee + 19% / pa interest.
Statement accounts also means you have the chance of being paid by the customer before you pay your suppliers which is vital if you are running on very limited capital.

That sounds nice. But I stopped using checks a long time ago. The last check I wrote, cost me $45 for a pack of cigs. Now it's debit card only. That way I don't have to keep up with what's out, whats in. or anything else.
Plus using the debit card, the bank keeps a running tally of everything.

So I let them keep those records.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

That sounds nice. But I stopped using checks a long time ago. The last check I wrote, cost me $45 for a pack of cigs. Now it's debit card only. That way I don't have to keep up with what's out, whats in. or anything else.
Plus using the debit card, the bank keeps a running tally of everything.

So I let them keep those records.

I have 2 small businesses to keep track of stuff for taxes. I pay for everything with credit cards. Stens orders are a snap using card on file. Vendors for the other business are the same. I get nice detailed reports on line from the bank for taxes plus both cards are cash back. The cards are tied to checking accounts for each business with automatic payments so i don't have to worry about missed payments. Can't remember last time i wrote a check or used a debit card. Of course i don't take credit cards. Check or cash only. What a hypocrite.

B

bertsmobile1

The problem that I have & I am sure you have is you can have $ 5000 sitting in the yard waiting for the customers to collect & pay and $ 0 in the bank .
So with a cheque you can hold onto the cheque for a week or two till the money has come in .
Once you have given card numbers to suppliers they control when the money is paid , not you aand you have just taken the first step to loosing financial control of your business.
And that goes for everything you purchase for your business .
Everything I buy is paid for by cheque, phones , advertising, parts, fuel, insurance .
I have just gotten back to work , although not offically open again since December when we were closed because of the bushfires .
IF I had allowed everyone to take payments from my account I would by now be insolvent but I kept some back a bit paid some bimonthly paid some out of my pocket etc till there was some money coming back in .
Down here if I go into debit on my trading account the bank hit me with $ 45 for each & every transaction it honours so that can easily add up to an extra grand a month plus overdraft interest rate of 15% P/A CHARGED DAILY .
I also pay the bank $ 2 month for a paper statement so the bank still creates my records .
The other problem is if you set up a monthly payment for something , down here you can not stop it . the billing entity has to do that so if there is a problem , you have to cancel your card & get a new one.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

The problem that I have & I am sure you have is you can have $ 5000 sitting in the yard waiting for the customers to collect & pay and $ 0 in the bank .
So with a cheque you can hold onto the cheque for a week or two till the money has come in .
Once you have given card numbers to suppliers they control when the money is paid , not you aand you have just taken the first step to loosing financial control of your business.
And that goes for everything you purchase for your business .
Everything I buy is paid for by cheque, phones , advertising, parts, fuel, insurance .
I have just gotten back to work , although not offically open again since December when we were closed because of the bushfires .
IF I had allowed everyone to take payments from my account I would by now be insolvent but I kept some back a bit paid some bimonthly paid some out of my pocket etc till there was some money coming back in .
Down here if I go into debit on my trading account the bank hit me with $ 45 for each & every transaction it honours so that can easily add up to an extra grand a month plus overdraft interest rate of 15% P/A CHARGED DAILY .
I also pay the bank $ 2 month for a paper statement so the bank still creates my records .
The other problem is if you set up a monthly payment for something , down here you can not stop it . the billing entity has to do that so if there is a problem , you have to cancel your card & get a new one.

I've made a rule, and the customers don't seem to mind. Anything that's gonna cost more than $100 in part, I get parts money upfront. BUT, THE biggest thing that's kept me from getting stuck with stuff is you good folks. Those last two that I just flat turned down, was because of the advice I got here. I'm sure I'll have some. But the $100 rule seems to be going good.
Also, if a customer has more than one piece of equipment, I do each one separately. Like the push mower, rider and weed eater I took in last week. I finished the push mower first and took it back to them, and got paid. A day later, I did the same thing with the trimmer. Two days later, the rider. The customer lived close, so it was no biggy for either of us.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

You guys got some strange banking practices down there. All of my accounts are with the same bank so i can turn things on and off whenever i want. I always pay off the credit cards every month so i don't pay any interest. I am lucky enough to have a decent cushion in my checking accounts. I guess it is all in how you need to run the business. Luckily the corona virus hasn't cut into my business and Stens is still shipping parts

B

bertsmobile1

You guys got some strange banking practices down there. All of my accounts are with the same bank so i can turn things on and off whenever i want. I always pay off the credit cards every month so i don't pay any interest. I am lucky enough to have a decent cushion in my checking accounts. I guess it is all in how you need to run the business. Luckily the corona virus hasn't cut into my business and Stens is still shipping parts

We did not have a war nor revolution to break the power of the old established money hoarders.
So the banks were creted by those with lots of money to protect their money and make more money while preventing those without any money acquiring money and threaten the advantaged position of the old monied institutions .
Thus if you do not need finance you get a very favourable treatment
IF you do need finance you get treated like a criminal .
the whole purpose of it is to redistribute wealth from the poor to the rich .
So once you get into financial trouble you become a lepper down here.
THis protects people like your suppliers but makes it near impossible to get ahead till you have acquired sufficient real estate to use it as calateral by which time you have kids so you remain working for the "rich man" making him much much more wealthy .
We just had a royal commission into our banks & financial instutions if you get bored have a read of the findings , like charging dead people for financial advise . writing loans to the very young that they will never ever be able to pay off .
So yes If I have millions I can use credit cards and pay no fees at all if I have n money I get cruicified with fees & charges.
When the courier business was running well we got unlimited overdraft facility for free , once it started to go bad fees came in from everywhere .

Government workers are quite lazy at times. Here Tennessee is issuing real id too. Well went for renewal last June. They already had previously required me to provide Birth certificate and two local bills just because moved into the state when I first got here to get a state of Tennessee driver license. They issue me a new DL for eight years that is not a real id version. Now they want to go through whole process get the star added and another renewal fee.Since I not planning any flying or going into any government building except the SS office in the near future, I am just going to let it ride.

TN was NOT pushing Real ID back then. & actually you would not have to pay a full renewal fee. Just a duplicate fee. Like you lost you other one. That's what my wife did when I renewed mine for Real ID. & it is only optional at this point in TN anyhow. But I was up for renewal anyway, so I just went for it.

Because we both have motorcycle endorsements also that cost me extra. But that was expected. .

And I only use a "No Fault" credit card, Like Discover. Anything happens, I get a notice by phone & email asking if that was by me. I make a call & get refunded & they go after the crook.

Never put my bank account on the line. Plus I have mason jars buried here as well.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Plus I have mason jars buried here as well.

With money in them? Or shine?

With money in them? Or shine?

Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! nice try, sorry, I can not reveal that. Maybe both.. LOL

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Ha ! Ha ! Ha ! nice try, sorry, I can not reveal that. Maybe both.. LOL

If someone shows up at your place with a metal detector and 55 gallon drum, it's not me. lol

10-4, I believe ya.. :cool:

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

And the hits just keep coming from Partstree. OMG. Saturday, the FedEx tracking showed the parts getting here on Monday. Well it didn't show up yesterday. So I checked the tracking number again this morning, and now it's showing that only the shipping label has been created. No set delivery day now. So Partstree just told me "Deliveries are only monday thru friday." LOL.. So, I replied "The package was ordered on the 1st. Today is the 7th. And according to FedEx, it's still sitting in your warehouse. And even if it's a mess up by FedEx, being shipped on Thursday or even Friday, FedEx semi's, that carry everything from state to state, including their warehouses, still run on the weekends.
UHG!!!!!!!!! I've already had to change the completion date for this customer twice. And now I'll have to do it again.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Still getting orders from Stens fairly timely. Last few orders have been one more day than usual. Never had much luck with partstree. Had a commercial customer needing a unit back as soon as possible. Partstree said part in stock so i ordered. Week later still not shipped. Called and was told website always shows stuff in stock and they were waiting for the part i orderd to come in. WTF! That was my last order to them.
Most likely they are waiting to get your part in but they have already created the shipping label.
Stens shipped the wrong air filter a couple weeks ago but one call and they shipped the right filter without a hassle.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Still getting orders from Stens fairly timely. Last few orders have been one more day than usual. Never had much luck with partstree. Had a commercial customer needing a unit back as soon as possible. Partstree said part in stock so i ordered. Week later still not shipped. Called and was told website always shows stuff in stock and they were waiting for the part i orderd to come in. WTF! That was my last order to them.
Most likely they are waiting to get your part in but they have already created the shipping label.
Stens shipped the wrong air filter a couple weeks ago but one call and they shipped the right filter without a hassle.

Yup, Partstree has done that like twice to me. The other place I order from now and then, didn't have it. today the 6th day, I'm going to at least get my shipping back.

StarTech

StarTech

Stens has messed on the last two orders here. First was the PTO clutch for a Z925A, Completely the wrong size and the other was the after market carburetor kits for the Honda GX390 which has the GX160 bowl gaskets instead the GX390 ones.

I already got the credit for the carburetor kits but still awaiting the $340 for the PTO clutch saying they got to inspect the returned clutch.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Stens has messed on the last two orders here. First was the PTO clutch for a Z925A, Completely the wrong size and the other was the after market carburetor kits for the Honda GX390 which has the GX160 bowl gaskets instead the GX390 ones.

I already got the credit for the carburetor kits but still awaiting the $340 for the PTO clutch saying they got to inspect the returned clutch.

Those high dollar part troubles can be worrysome.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Years ago had a local shop order in a wrong part. Their mistake not mine. Part they ordered was expensive and they wanted me to pay the restocking and shipping fees to send it back. They said they would not order the correct part i prepaid them to order until i paid the return fees. Family run business and the dipstick nephew with the attitude was the one who ordered the wrong part and tried to blame me. Never darkened their doorway again. Less than a year later the owner called me and wanted to know if i wanted to buy the business. A few months later they closed and filed bankruptcy. I believe internet sales did them in, like a few other shops in the area.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Years ago had a local shop order in a wrong part. Their mistake not mine. Part they ordered was expensive and they wanted me to pay the restocking and shipping fees to send it back. They said they would not order the correct part i prepaid them to order until i paid the return fees. Family run business and the dipstick nephew with the attitude was the one who ordered the wrong part and tried to blame me. Never darkened their doorway again. Less than a year later the owner called me and wanted to know if i wanted to buy the business. A few months later they closed and filed bankruptcy. I believe internet sales did them in, like a few other shops in the area.

LOL... Betcha $5 the nephew never accepted the blame for anything.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

This has turned out to be the case of the missing parts.

As I stated earlier, the day after I made the order, FedEx tracking showed it to arrive last Monday. Monday came, and I rechecked the tracking, because it didn't show up and it stated it never left Partstree. Only shipping label was created. So the clerks supervisor finally got on the phone with me and took over the case.
She called this morning and said that she had the people at the warehouse look, and found nothing. FedEx, she said has been slow updating their tracking. (Which is BS, IMO. Because their updates are automatic when something is scanned) I'm thinking it just never got pulled or shipped.
So Partstree is going to ship another set of parts and should be here by Friday.

When these parts finally come, I'm deleting anything and everything from Partstree. Except for invoices for tax purposes and the memory of what a screwed up time I've had with Partstree.

E

enigma-2

Fraud is ever to common anymore and using a different send to address has become a red flag. Be thankful that they're watching out for you. (And themselves as well).
A good way to avoid verification is to preregister both ship to addresses on the site. I stopped getting requests after doing this.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Fraud is ever to common anymore and using a different send to address has become a red flag. Be thankful that they're watching out for you. (And themselves as well).
A good way to avoid verification is to preregister both ship to addresses on the site. I stopped getting requests after doing this.

I'm not feeling "thankful." Having to tell the customer is gonna take longer. I should've just ordered from Amazon. I hate to say that. But the customer would've already had his tiller back, plowed and probably planted by now.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

You better get used to telling customers it will take longer than expected. You are at the mercy of parts availability. You are probably like me and don't stock a lot of items. I only stock air filters, oil filters, fuel filters, spark plugs, fuel lines, some carb kits. Blades, belts, idlers, spindles and such i order as needed. If you think it will take 2 days tell them 4. Some folks will want their equipment back as soon as possible and if you say 2 days and it is 3 they will be pissed. Figure on 2, tell them 4 and if you get done in 3 they are happy.
I just had one that came in dead. Had to order parts to get it running. As soon as i fired it up i knew i had a bad belt idler so had to order idler. 2 more days. Don't make delivery date promises. Especially now with the corona thing. I don't give a delivery date unless i am sure i can deliver.
Today i got a call from a guy who this winter paid me $850 to do a full rebuild on a kohler cv15 on a JD 225. It threw the deck belt. I drove 5 miles to check it out. He got a stick up in the belt. I put the belt on and told him it rolled the belt so it should be replaced. He said orser it. I did not charge him to go out and put the belt on. He knows eberybody in the small town and he will bring me business. Customer service is sometimes better than how fast you get something back to someone. Under promise and over deliver. We all want to get equipment back to the customer as fast as possible but parts is parts.

B

bertsmobile1

Tell them a week to 10 days and get it back in 5 and you are a brilliant mechanic. fast & reliable .
Tell them 4 days and get it back in 5 and you are slow & take forever .
I always quote 1 to 2 weeks if I have the parts in stock , longer if I have to order in parts and longer still they have to come from interstate .
I keep a pile of old mowers that are too grotty to sell and will always offer loan mower if I think it will be a long time getting done.
That takes the pressure off you when things get frantic .
If their mower is really old that can often lead to a sale of the "loner "
I sell quite a few mowers like that .
Customer is using your mower, get a big quote ( honest one ) and then gets told they can keep the loaner for less than the repair .

I

ILENGINE

My state won't accept it as a valid ID at the drivers license facility

Most of the time I get parts from Partstree with 2-3 days of the order. I have had a couple times that took them a couple weeks. Just for comparison I have a trimmer head on backorder from July 29 through my normal distribution warehouse for that brand of equipment.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

My state won't accept it as a valid ID at the drivers license facility

Just for comparison I have a trimmer head on backorder from July 29
Just get them a Speed Feed head.

I

ILENGINE

Having a CCW permit turns your 2nd Amendment right into an accepted government privilege. I have never accepted that privilege. I stand by my right. Getting a government permit to carry is like asking them for permission. Permission to do something you're supposed to have a right to in the first place. "Shall not be infringed" has no caveats.
I also have to a have a FOID or Firearm owners ID card which is required to own, possess, or to purchase ammo . Plus have the FCCL(Firearm Conceal Carry License) to carry on my person. Both issued by the State police with pictures on both, and neither one qualifies as a valid ID.

I

ILENGINE

Just get them a Speed Feed head.
Takes one of those special heads for the battery operated trimmers.

tom3

tom3

Couple off topic comments from the peanut gallery, me. Looked into a CCW, every time a cop runs your plate, there it is. Seems like public information. I'd rather carry and not advertise it, I do believe in the 2nd. But then I can't remember when I've actually carried a hidden gun. But if I felt the need I have a couple and would. And for that real ID, we got ours last fall, good thing too. In the whole state of Ohio there are 5 (yes, five) BMV offices open, totally. And those places are a nightmare in normal times.

cpurvis

cpurvis

Couple off topic comments from the peanut gallery, me. Looked into a CCW, every time a cop runs your plate, there it is. Seems like public information. I'd rather carry and not advertise it, I do believe in the 2nd. But then I can't remember when I've actually carried a hidden gun. But if I felt the need I have a couple and would. And for that real ID, we got ours last fall, good thing too. In the whole state of Ohio there are 5 (yes, five) BMV offices open, totally. And those places are a nightmare in normal times.

I remember the first (and only) time I carried a hidden gun. This was a long time ago, as my telling will make it obvious.

I had to meet some men, whom I knew absolutely nothing about, to collect a reward for stolen airplane. Since I thought it would be better to have a gun and not need it rather than the other way around, so I stuck a .45 Colt revolver down the back of my pants and went to the airport to meet them. Walked right through (no metal detectors or anything back then), out on the flight line and got in the plane with five (!) men. Flew with them to a nearby airport where the plane was, collected my money and they flew me back to where we met. Walked through the airport again, armed.

B

bertsmobile1

It will depend upon who has access to the file.
Down here almost any one can can access drivers license information, for a fee.
In most cases the vendor submits your d/l number & name and it will confirm that it is correct and valid .
For a bit more money it will check the address that is shown is also valid.
It will not allow you to get an address from a license number or a number or address from a name, just validates the information you put in.
The post office sells a similar service mainly to freight companies .
All of these cost money so a business would not normally subscribe to more than one of them .
Down here the various departments also log every query on the system to prevent the users abusing them .

I would imagine it was somewhat the same up there .
Almost every one has a D/L but only 99% ( sorry could not resist that ) would have a firearms license so your cheapest & best bang for your buck would be to subscribe the D/L checking system

B

bertsmobile1

We poineered the plate running softwear and what you have up there is probably used under license from us.
The plate softwear we have runs 16 databases so the cop who pulls you over knows who you are, where you live if you or any one else in your family or residing at the same address has a firearm, convitone for drugs, violent crime, done time, has a warrant , suspended or cancelled license or fine outstanding & is behind on child matainance .
Down here this is done automatically in real time in both directions an can cope with a 6 lane expressway traveling at 80 mph.
The next upgrade will identify the vehicle to see if the vehicle matches the plate as since they abolished tax/ rego stickers a lot of people plate swap .
What has the cops annoyed is once the system makes a hit, the car lights up and they have to pull you over or get some one from control to cancel it.

I

ILENGINE

In a few areas is it public information and has resulted in the names and addresses of carriers listed in the newspaper. Of course that resulted in the names, addresses, phone numbers of the people that printed it getting plasters all over the internet. Most states restrict that information to the public. limited to law enforcement and maybe a few other agencies. Also in a lot of police jurisdictions will not stop you or issue a ticket unless you are being totally stupid for legal CCW licensees. And more and more states are going constitutional carry which means there is no database since there is no license.

When I was a kid I really never appreciated the privilege of having a DL. So in my small home town I abused it till I had it taken away.
Got labeled a "Habitual Offender" with a 10 year suspension. Did I stop driving, not at all. In fact I was driving Tri=axle dump trucks, & tractor trailers.
And in those 10 years I never got another ticket.

In time, I finally realized I have to grow up. I paid my dues & etc. So to this day I very much appreciate having a "Safe Driver" Real ID license.
And a CCW.....

Things some kids do. Live & learn is how it's supposed to go.