Ignition switch replacement on a Honda GXV270 engine in a HT-R3009 riding mower

Poppy19

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Ignition switch replacement on a Honda GXV270 engine in a HT-R3009 riding mower
I have I guess a 70"s era HT-R3009 honda riding mower. It's ignition switch failed, and I've been told that it is unobtainable. I bought a five wire generator switch with what I thought was a similar connector although the wires were obviously shorter.
1696600651180.png

The connector is NOT the same, so I had to cut the connector with the wires, off of the original switch, and solder it onto the new switch.

Fortunately I have the owner's manual, but the new switch didn't come with any diagram.
So I had to figure it out.

Here is the diagram for the original switch in different positions:
1696599532649.png
and the wire colors for the original
1696599608352.png

Testing continuity of the new switch to each wire with the switch in each of its three positions I determined:

The YELLOW and the BLACK wires of the new switch have continuity when the switch is OFF
This matches the original Black/red and Black wires of the original

The GREEN and the WHITE wires of the new switch have continuity with the switch turned to ON
This matches the Black/Yellow and White wires of the original

The GREEN AND WHITE AND RED wires have continuity in the START position
The GREEN and WHITE wires have already been designated to pair with the Black/yellow, and White of the original, so the RED needs to pair with the Black/White of the original.

I made the connections and she starts and runs as she should.

I did need to drill out the hole for the switch a bit for it to fit.

The switch only cost about $ 9.

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Ignition switch replacement on a Honda GXV270 engine in a HT-R3009 riding mower
Last edited:

Poppy19

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks @mechanic mark , I had done a similar search, after calling a couple of local honda parts dealers, who told me that the ignition switch was out of production and that there are no alternatives.
The generator switch is my guess at the best alternative. Although there are other 5 wire ignition switches available, I didn't want to have to get crimp connectors, and fool with them. I suppose that I could have done that, I just chose not to.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Go to the Rotary or Stens web catalogue
Search "ignition switch"
Then find all of the 5 pin ones and click on the "More" / "detail" buttons
They usually have the pin out connections
Most also have tiny letters cast into the back or stamped into the pins
M = magneto
B = Battery
G = Ground
S= Starter Solenoid
L or A = Alternator
If necessary pull the wires out of your plug socket and move then to suit the new switch
Some times I just use female terminals if I can not get a socket to fit the switch .