Export thread

If you were trapped on a desert island...

H

henry

I want to find out what the single most important garden tool is. So answer this question. If you were trapped on a desert island and you could only take one garden tool with you, what would it be?

Bruce Mowbray

Bruce Mowbray

Why...a hoe...of course.:smile:

T

TedBeal

It would be a cutting tool to cut the branches of trees in order to burn the wood, and it would need to be heavy duty enough to cut big branches to make a raft with to get me off the island!:laughing:

H

Honey

My huge Friskars knife that can also be used as a shovel. It has a blade on one side and teeth on the other, it is versatile and very useful, more like 2-3 tools in one.

T

Twinkle

Some good ideas here but I'm going to go for the spork. I find mine to be really useful for tough jobs and it replaces the need for a shovel and hoe. I chose this because I know I'd start making a vegetable patch or similar fairly soon after giving up on being resuced!

B

Bethieboo

Isn't a spork the little spoon fork that you get from Taco Bell to eat your beans? Is that the spork you mean or is there an actual tool called a spork?

BKBrown

BKBrown

I want to find out what the single most important garden tool is. So answer this question. If you were trapped on a desert island and you could only take one garden tool with you, what would it be?

If I knew I was going to be trapped on a desert island -- I wouldn't leave home ! I've got the tools I need here. :biggrin:

I don't know of just one "garden tool" I'd want !

T

Thunder

A shovel. You know how many different things you can do with a shovel? Among other things, you can make the head detachable, sharpen the other end and use it for spear fishing.

T

TedBeal

This is a great thread and I'm amused by all these creative and practical answers. I have to say that I've learned a lot just reading them as well as having a good laugh. :laughing:

briggs

briggs

a hatchet so i could chop fire wood need heat :rolleyes:

dria

dria

Lol, me too. I actually learned something. I did not know there was a tool called a spork. If someone had asked me to bring them a sporke before I red this I would have taken them a spoon/fork.

Two-Stroke

Two-Stroke

Great thread -- reminds me of one of my favorite movies: Cast Away starring Tom Hanks as a guy who gets stranded on a deserted (not desert) island and has to figure out how to survive. Among the problems he had to deal with was loneliness -- so he made friends with a volleyball named "Wilson".

To answer the question: I think, since the island has very little rain (desert), I'd go with some kind of general purpose tool that would help me catch some fish -- maybe a knife that I could attach to a stick to make a spear. But if the island has little rain is there a source of fresh water? If not, chances of survival are nil.:mad:

But if there is fresh water then agriculture would be possible. Which brings us back to the Sporke. I'd bring that as well as a variety of seeds and fertilizer.

T

Twinkle

I am surprised the spork is not so well known. I love mine! I remember that Castaway movie - though the ball he talked to was kind of creepy! I never thought about drinking water, perhaps there are cacti, you can get moisture from them perhaps?

Mace Canute

Mace Canute

Why...a hoe...of course.:smile:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

S

Smartaleck

I am surprised the spork is not so well known. I love mine!

I've got a knork, in fact I have a set of four, but this is a knife and fork combined or really just a fork with a heavy balanced head so that you can use the side to cut like a knife! A bit different to a spork though they sound similar. :laughing:

C

carla6

This is a good and interesting question, but if I could have one tool on a desert island I would choose a basic spade shovel. You can do so much with it if you are innovative.

R

Rose

As a horse farmer, I think I would take my pitchfork. I could use it to spear fish, :licking: and to pull up shell fish from the shallow water. It would also be good for clearing any freshwater pools on the island for drinking.

Nice thread, and funny. I always enjoy a good laugh.:laughing:

P

pebbles

I would take a rake to rake the sand obviously. No point taking a lawn mower there wouldn't be any grass to now. An axe would be good as well.