I need a riding mower that can handle tall weeds

jimigunne

Threads
Im on a country lot that continually gets covered with johnson grass 5 ft. high. I bought an old cub cadet riding mower once. It was abt 11hp. It was useless for high weeds, would bog down in them. It was only good for a lawn. So my question is whats the least expensive (like 2000.00 max) riding mower that can plough through the tallest johnson grass?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Good luck, as anything in your price range will not handle anything close to that height. You’re looking for a commercial unit at a minimum of triple what you want to spend.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
The first thing that you need to do is get rid of the Johnson Grass. It will take some time and money. You are going to have to stay on top of it. Here is an article that will help.
Of course, you could buy a small tractor with a PTO driven Bush Hog mower.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
at that price range, i would pay somebody to do it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the grass is 5' tall, no rotary will cut it because the grass stems will get bent over & bridge from one side of the deck to the other unless you drive at a crawl or jerk the mower back & forth .
I think the term for it is letting .
And then the volume of grass will overwhelm the deck
So you need some thing that will cut the grass at the base or chop it up from the top down
This leaves you with 2 options
1 a sickle mower like what is used for cutting hay
2 a drum type mower, either as a headder or flail
And neither of these will be cheap

The other alternative is an old 20-40Hp tractor from the 60's and plough the grass over a couple of times .
After a few seasons the offending grass will be gone provided you plough it in before it goes to seed as you would a green manure crop.
Over seed the ploughed ground with mustard or pasture clover which will supress the regrowth of the offending grass and can also be ploughed in or easily removed with selective broadleaf herbicides or simple iron sulphate, although the latter will acidify the soil .

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
@bertsmobile1
That’s what I meant when I said a small tractor with a PTO powered Bush Hog. 30 to 60 horsepower would be better.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And so you fully understand , a bush hog or slasher as we call them uses swing back blades on a single hub so a 6' wide mower is also 6' long.
So once 5' has passed under the deck the top will start to stand up and get chopped off then the new shorter top gets chopped off etc till the stalks are down to almost the mower height .
but a ride on will have 3 blades that are 2' long so the deck will only be a touch over 2' deep front to back which limits the height of grass to a touch over 2'

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
@bertsmobile1
I’ve operated 90 PTO Horsepower tractors with 7’ Bush Hog mowers and 15’ Flex Wing mowers. I’ve also operated a 110 PTO Horsepower Boom Mower.
A PTO powered rotary or flail mower will absolutely take care of the tall grass and brush. You have to stay on top of it with a regular mowing schedule.
Outrider herbicide will take out the Johnsongrass. But, it needs to be applied after mowing.
Same thing with a mix of MSMA+ and Oust. The MSMA+ and Oust mix will also take out the Bahia grass.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
@bertsmobile1
I’ve operated 90 PTO Horsepower tractors with 7’ Bush Hog mowers and 15’ Flex Wing mowers. I’ve also operated a 110 PTO Horsepower Boom Mower.
A PTO powered rotary or flail mower will absolutely take care of the tall grass and brush. You have to stay on top of it with a regular mowing schedule.
Outrider herbicide will take out the Johnsongrass. But, it needs to be applied after mowing.
Same thing with a mix of MSMA+ and Oust. The MSMA+ and Oust mix will also take out the Bahia grass.
No arguements from me about that
But he ain't going to find a rig like that for the $2000 he wants to spend
He might find an old 20 Hp to 40 Hp full tractor from the 50 or 60's complete with a PTO powered slasher for that sort of money, Most likely with perished tyres , lots of rust and a dicky PTO clutch
He also ain't going to find a normal rider that will cut grass that high .
When the pasture gets above 4 ' here that is about the limit for mowers although the Great Dane will eventually chew through grass that high but only traveling at a crawl.
No Idea what Johnstone grass actually is but it don't sound like fun.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
@bertsmobile1
A used 30-40hp tractor and mower will run anywhere from $5,000-$7,000.
Johnsongrass is some really tough stuff.