I lost the crab grass battle this year

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
But next year, it's on!!!!!

I couldn't get any help from the 30yr old teen ager that occupies part of the house. And so, the crab grass won this year.
I planted some bermuda seeds about 2 months ago, and quite a bit of that took off. But that was about the time the crab grass started showing it's ugly head. My plan was to kill the crab grass with vinegar, using a pump up sprayer. Which works pretty well. But there was just so much of it, I couldn't keep it at bay.
Next thing I knew, there were big patches of it. Between watering the bermuda seeds frequently, the vinegar just wasn't effective. Now the seeds have started coming up. And the 30yr old teen ager, instead of pulling the seeds before he mowed, just decided to do it the easy way and just mow. So all those seeds got mowed. UHG!!!!!!

So screw it. I'll just take on the battle next year. Try to catch the small spots early. Grab grass is pretty easy to pull, if you catch it when it's just coming up.
I think I've gotten rid of all the grassburs. At least 95% of them. I haven't seen one in a couple of weeks now.
But looking at the yard, and thinking about the billions of grab grass seeds that got mowed, is depressing. Was hoping to end that problem this year.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Fighting crabgrass is a losing battle in the first place. The seeds comes from everywhere; wind carries them, birds carry them, and they can lay dormant for years. I forgot for years against crabgrass in my gardens. Finally found 4EC pre-emergent that keep it down for up to three months in the garden but as soon the stuff become ineffective the crabgrass comes back. With it you can't reseed any type grass (including corn) until two weeks after application has passed.

For most summers it will take two applications during the year for crabgrass control. But 4EC is just what I used and there are other chemicals that can be used too.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Only good product I've used was the old Scotts weed and feed. I see now they have replaced it with their Turfbuilder stuff. Probably a friendly weakened product that doesn't work worth crap like all the other stuff on the market, but still triple priced. I've pretty much given up on the whole deal, mow it and forget it.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have 4 acres and between the moles, the weeds and the lack of rain my yards is just a goat pasture. Pretty much just gave up. Last time i mowed i cut down 4' tall Queen Annes Lace and 1' tall buckhorn and no grass. 1595602075067.jpg
This weed behind my barn is over 6 feet tall. I got a lot of weeds taller than me.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I've seen a few weeds grow like that on our lease, there's one well above 8 feet tall.\
Knock it down with your hammer! :unsure: ?

Mower King

Threads
I have 4 acres and between the moles, the weeds and the lack of rain my yards is just a goat pasture. Pretty much just gave up. Last time i mowed i cut down 4' tall Queen Annes Lace and 1' tall buckhorn and no grass. View attachment 53398
This weed behind my barn is over 6 feet tall. I got a lot of weeds taller than me.
And I thought a little clover in my yard was a bad deal....

wrldtvlr

Threads
I was clearing some areas of my yard that hadn't been touched in several years. Aside from the density, I was impressed by how thick the stem was on some of the weeds. Don't know what they were, but some had stems over an inch thick, green, but almost wood like density. Had to use a brush cutter to get through them.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have 4 acres and between the moles, the weeds and the lack of rain my yards is just a goat pasture. Pretty much just gave up. Last time i mowed i cut down 4' tall Queen Annes Lace and 1' tall buckhorn and no grass. View attachment 53398
People on HGTV pay a fortune for "landscaping" like that. Add some running water and a couple big rocks and you could be on TV.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I guess i need to start looking for some big rocks.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Crab grass, when it's growing and green, is awesome. But then about the first of August, it starts dying and you can't keep it green. I tried a spot in my last yard, to just grow crab grass. Thought of maybe filling up the yard with it. But then it all turned brown.
The friggin root system on that stuff is like Don Kings hair.