I lost the crab grass battle this year

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
make sure you know the difference between Dallis grass and crab grass.

At present, my go-to formula for spot treatment is 4 oz of Bonide (BND069) - Sedge Ender Weed Control Concentrate, plus, 2oz of Image 100099405 Kills Nutsedge Concentrate in a 1 gal pump. It has helped me a LOT with most standard problems (spurge and dandelions, etc.) as well as Crab grass and even sandspurs and asiatic dayflower. It can stress St. Augustine but I seem to have avoided that problem.

I also prefer Dithiopyr (Dimension) for a twice-yearly pre-em. Helps with Crab grass and sandspurs.

Dallis grass gets pulled or gets the RoundUp depending on where it is.

I now seem to have a very stiff, low/creeping, mat-forming woody weed in a few spots. small, linear leaves on green branching stems, the leaves are alternate. I niticed it recently when I mowed a little lower than normal - it is 'under' the St. Augustine. It grows sideways! Dunno what flowers or seeds look like. I don't have a lot of it, just can't ID it.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
make sure you know the difference between Dallis grass and crab grass.

At present, my go-to formula for spot treatment is 4 oz of Bonide (BND069) - Sedge Ender Weed Control Concentrate, plus, 2oz of Image 100099405 Kills Nutsedge Concentrate in a 1 gal pump. It has helped me a LOT with most standard problems (spurge and dandelions, etc.) as well as Crab grass and even sandspurs and asiatic dayflower. It can stress St. Augustine but I seem to have avoided that problem.

I also prefer Dithiopyr (Dimension) for a twice-yearly pre-em. Helps with Crab grass and sandspurs.

Dallis grass gets pulled or gets the RoundUp depending on where it is.

I now seem to have a very stiff, low/creeping, mat-forming woody weed in a few spots. small, linear leaves on green branching stems, the leaves are alternate. I niticed it recently when I mowed a little lower than normal - it is 'under' the St. Augustine. It grows sideways! Dunno what flowers or seeds look like. I don't have a lot of it, just can't ID it.

Cheap white vinegar, a little soap and a dash of salt kills everything. And it's all cheap.
My problem with the weeds is that I didn't get to them soon enough.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
I just used Double Duty from Ace. Next spring, I think I'm going back to Hi-yield, less fertilizer.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Cheap white vinegar, a little soap and a dash of salt kills everything. And it's all cheap.
My problem with the weeds is that I didn't get to them soon enough.

I do have Asiatic Dayflower coming up between foundation and patio so, I may try salt/vinegar there. Thanks.
But our little town's water is quite high in salt so, I'm reluctant to use any on the lawn. It gets more than enough from the sprinkler!

D_H

Threads
How do you get rid of Dallis Grass!!?? Digging is not an option, ground is like concrete (seriously) and there's a lot. Straight roundup concentrate on it or what? Someone with more experience help me out. What are the steps to a better lawn? Step one: purchase Flamethrower?

spazatac

Threads
How do you get rid of Dallis Grass!!?? Digging is not an option, ground is like concrete (seriously) and there's a lot. Straight roundup concentrate on it or what? Someone with more experience help me out. What are the steps to a better lawn? Step one: purchase Flamethrower?

I spent the last two weekends digging/pulling weeds and afterwards, I didn't need to mow because Ive never used fertilizer.

Why are we obsessed with trying to keep up with the Jones's and their golf course lawns? Who cares about dandelions and crab grass? Dig up your thistles and invasive mulberry bushes/trees. There are so many more important things to be concerned about during these times, so open your eyes and cancel censored platforms, like there trying to cancel you.

But I digress.. Spreading some granular barricade two times a year wouldn't take much time and honestly, thats what I was going to ask about.

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads

If you don't have a lot of them, then using your water hose (with a nozzle), soak the ground with high pressure, next to the base. On at least two sides. Wiggle the roots out, or dig with a shovel.
I only had about 10, so it didn't take me long. I had extra dirt (from the pasture) to fill in the holes.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
As stated above.

1631387073998.png

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
1. Hire spray service for one year. Make sure they come back if you still have weeds between services. This will get your lawn turned around for not much fuss.

2.Then you can treat yourself. Pre-emergents are a must for grassy weeds like Dallis and crab. Ortho has good stuff at home e' cheapo you can use. Follow the directions to a T and use protective clothing.

What I've found out, I have 1/3 of an acre. Pricing is roughly the same hiring it out as me doing it. Talking about fert and sprays.

Stay clear of organic fertilizers like Milorganite. Way expensive and only have 5% nitrogen and a small bit of iron. Takes me 6 bags at around $18 each just for Milorganite alone. You are looking at 93% or 94% filler crap per bag of useless material you just paid for that does NOTHING for your grass.

Great fert value for a fast release nitro is Miracle Grow's yard forumla. Very high in nitro and other minerals for a cheap price. Hard to beat this stuff. All useful product and easy to load in the car.

1631387829032.png

Attachments

• 1631387714463.png
    1631387714463.png
    107.7 KB · Views: 1