I have a 6.5hp briggs on a poulan pro mower. The coil will spark a few times and quit, spark and quit.

moodymac

Threads
  • / I have a 6.5hp briggs on a poulan pro mower. The coil will spark a few times and quit, spark and quit.
could you swap over the flywheel from the other machine? it can take some effort if you need a puller, but it may be worth a shot?
No, they share some common parts, but the flywheels are different.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / I have a 6.5hp briggs on a poulan pro mower. The coil will spark a few times and quit, spark and quit.
If the flywheels are different, then the coils may be different??? How about posting all engine numbers from both units, so we can do some investigating deeper.

moodymac

Threads
If the flywheels are different, then the coils may be different??? How about posting all engine numbers from both units, so we can do some investigating deeper.
120k02-0418-e-1 on the Murray 22 in walk behind trimmer I just happened to be rebuilding (and was waiting on parts for) when I started working on 123k-0217-e1 the Poulan Pro lawn mower (problem machine). Both the original coil on the Poulan, and the new coil, are the same. Both failed to produce consistent spark on the Poulan, but both worked on the Murray.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First, the second number should be 123K02. Both engines use the same coil and flywheel. Coil number should be 590454. Have you removed and checked the flywheel key?

moodymac

Threads
First, the second number should be 123K02. Both engines use the same coil and flywheel. Coil number should be 590454. Have you removed and checked the flywheel key?
No, however, on visual inspection the flywheel and crank slots are exactly lined up, and the key is in place.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
According to the IPLs both engine should have the same flywheel PN 691987. IF they are different that maybe the problem.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get a compass, a real one with a swinging needle, not your phone
Sit it on top of the coils & slowly rotate the flywheels ( check both engines )
I am hazarding a guess that the magnets on one have reversed or are compromised
As the flywheel passes the compass , the needle will swing either N ( showing the magnet is south out ) or S ( showing it is north out ) or will swing showing the magnet is orientated length wise ( not usual ) .
You can get a very rough measure of the strength by moving the compass back and seeing how far away the flywheel moves the compass needle
From what you have posted to date, using substitution to draw a conclusion the flywheel is the problem.

Magnets loose power over time, loose power with exposure to heat , loose power with exposure to mechanical actions like hammering or with mower engine rubbing on the coil legs .
Coils get hot during use , heat increases the resistance of the coil and if the magnet is marginal to start with then after a few revolutions it could end up being outside the operating range .

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
According to the numbers you posted they both use the same flywheel. Seeing you have two different flywheels, have you checked to see if everything is exactly the same? Magnet location in relation to key slot.slot, Flywheel diameter, Magnet size, etc. As stated I think you’ve found your problem

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And are you sure the blower housing with the model number on it belongs to the engine it is on.
More than once I have been caught out because the covers had been swapped and what was under the hood was not the original engine.

moodymac

Threads