I guess i am doing it all wrong

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not trying to diss the guy but i do find it interesting that all these years all i needed was youtube.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I guess I’m with you and have also been doing it wrong all these years. I’m going to sell $5000 of my tools because all you need is about $250 in tools. Drop my liability insurance, as I’ll only fix small easy stuff and won’t worry about an idiot who sees a way to sue me. Upgrade my computer to get a better picture of the U-tube videos. This will be great, because I don’t have any worries, neighbors won’t be bothering mr with big stuff, better half won’t whine about the smell in the garage and I’ll still make tons of $$$$$. Oh,Oh, I forgot, I don’t have a Facebook account, Guess I’ll have to keep doing it the way I have learned with out a computer.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I guess I’m with you and have also been doing it wrong all these years. I’m going to sell $5000 of my tools because all you need is about $250 in tools. Drop my liability insurance, as I’ll only fix small easy stuff and won’t worry about an idiot who sees a way to sue me. Upgrade my computer to get a better picture of the U-tube videos. This will be great, because I don’t have any worries, neighbors won’t be bothering mr with big stuff, better half won’t whine about the smell in the garage and I’ll still make tons of $$$$$. Oh,Oh, I forgot, I don’t have a Facebook account, Guess I’ll have to keep doing it the way I have learned with out a computer.
That about covers it.

He clears a grand a month only fixing push mowers. If he makes $50 profit on each mower that is averaging 20 a month or close to 1 a day. Nice gig i guess.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think he is full of BS
he did 120 jobs last year at $ 50 profit per mower = $ 6000, not $ 8000.
So he started off showing how you only need 20 tools then added another 30 mid way through
No ring spannars so how does he do valve lash ? come to think of it, no feeler gauges either .
So if they are all the tools you need what is in that $ 250 set of tool draws he is sitting on ?
No vacuum / pressure pump
A sharleton parts swapper who is adding to the urban myth that we are all brain dead rip off agents .

OTOH the person I know that does make astounding money does nothing but push mowers as a home service
So he only does services , no repairs , charges a fixed $ 45 & guarantees you mower will run all season.
IT works because he bundles them into a close area so it is a case I am coming on Monday, leave your mower where I can access it .
Thus he can do 20 mowers on a good day . He keeps very good records so knows exactly what will be needed for every day before he starts and exactly when things like pull start chords / blades need replacing .
Bar blades are swapped out for pre sharpened ones & swing backs get replaced .
He uses a pump to drain oil & a set of syringes to replace it, amazing how much time it saves not having to measure the oil out & check the oil level after .
And of course, no diagnosis time.
We all know that if a mower is serviced each & every year without fail the it will usually run all season without fail so he got a reputation for being a mower genius when all he is doing is ensuring the owners get proper maintenance done on their mowers .
He works a 3 day week ( Tue-Thur) doing regular services & leaves 2 days free in case he has problems or has to go out of area for a mower that does not work ( guarantees the mower will run all season so it has to be honoured ) .
I bumped into his at one of my wholesalers where he was picking up 6 x 100 pair trade packs of blades .
He is RGS's biggest $ value parts customer
He also sends a lot of repairs , trimmers / blowers & saws to me because he only does push mowers .