I don't want some wimpy thing

Harriet

Threads
I'm going to be investing in a leaf blower to help with spring clean up this year. My old back can't take all of the raking like when I was younger. Do you think an electric one or a gas powered one is the way to go? I don't want some wimpy thing either. Any suggestions?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it is an area that you have reasonably close electricity... electric is lighter, easier to start, no fuel problems.

For the close things, I use the removable power head from my rigid 2 in 1 shop vac... it makes an excellent and handy power blower...
:smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm going to be investing in a leaf blower to help with spring clean up this year. My old back can't take all of the raking like when I was younger. Do you think an electric one or a gas powered one is the way to go? I don't want some wimpy thing either. Any suggestions?

Gas blowers are more powerful than electric but the extra weight and requirements to pull start them will tax your back badly...go with electric, period.

Harriet

Threads
Two votes for the electric type. OK--I'll start my shopping and research with electric models first. I will probably end up looking them ALL over, but at least I have a starting point! I'm kind of not crazy about having to deal with a cord though.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm kind of not crazy about having to deal with a cord though.

With the light weight and ease of starting, I think you will get to like the cord...
If you get one get a cord winding storage device, there are several types, starting for just a few dollars and up... But they make fooling with a power cord a lot easier... no more tangles. :smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
With the light weight and ease of starting, I think you will get to like the cord...
If you get one get a cord winding storage device, there are several types, starting for just a few dollars and up... But they make fooling with a power cord a lot easier... no more tangles. :smile:KennyV

Kenny, I got one of those turn-the-handle cord winding things that hang on the wall, it was more trouble than it was worth. Now I just use those H-shaped orange or black cord storage gadgets. But if you have the room, the absolute best cord storage unit is a plastic milk crate or one of the storage cubes that is about the same type. Know what is funny, somehow when I was younger I was ending up with all those plastic milk crates, can't recall where I got them, now today, I don't even remember the last time I saw one somewhere.

I just did a Google search and learned the old type were made of nylon and were very durable, but they would be so costly to produce today they switched to making the cheaper ones from PVC.

LandN

Threads

an electric powered blower (at most dept. stores) are going to be just what you don't want...wimpy. the blowers of years ago were hard to pull start and were hard on you ,but, there are some gas blowers now-a-days that feature 'easy start systems' where it is a LOT less strain on yourself when starting the blower and a lot of models are better balanced for easier use.you should really go to a ope dealer and try to pull an 'easy start blower' and see what you think.gas and oil mix may be an issue but it is a small price to pay for such a big difference in power, my folks (85 years old) run with gas blowers an love them.your right,raking is hard on the body while taking hours to do it , or cut the time much shorter by just using a good blower.i have had both electric and gas blowers for years. but only you can tell what your back will accept for a work-out. :smile:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
an electric powered blower (at most dept. stores) are going to be just what you don't want...wimpy. the blowers of years ago were hard to pull start and were hard on you ,but, there are some gas blowers now-a-days that feature 'easy start systems' where it is a LOT less strain on yourself when starting the blower and a lot of models are better balanced for easier use.you should really go to a ope dealer and try to pull an 'easy start blower' and see what you think.gas and oil mix may be an issue but it is a small price to pay for such a big difference in power, my folks (85 years old) run with gas blowers an love them.your right,raking is hard on the body while taking hours to do it , or cut the time much shorter by just using a good blower.i have had both electric and gas blowers for years. but only you can tell what your back will accept for a work-out. :smile:

Great post !!! :thumbsup:

BGC

Threads
I have one of each because I have an old electric one that still has its get up and go. Did you get one yet and if so what kind did you get?

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Perhaps you should get the electric first, since you have a reletively small lot "under 1 acre" if you feel it doesn't have the stuff get a gas powered one. The electric one will be more convenient and great for quick blow offs of the walk, driveway, garage, or porch. It's so much quicker than a broom.
I use the electric. I don't have a gas powered blower so I really don't know how much more powerful they are. I'm pretty sure that mine would not be very efficient blowing leaves out of grass especially if they were moist. I suppose it would depend on the size and type of leaf.
I guess what I'm trying to say is: if the electric doesn't work well for leaves I think you may find a practicle use for it anyway. If the gas blower is too much for you it's pretty much useless and your going to have to sell it for considerably less than you bought it for (new).