i blew an oil filter and now i can’t get it to run.

alvinjohn62

Threads
  • / i blew an oil filter and now i can’t get it to run.
i have a husqvarna yth 24v48 mower with a 24 hp v twin briggs. While mowing the motor died and i found out that I blew an oil filter. Changed the filter, filled with oil and now it wont run.

My question is: is there a low oil pressure switch that shuts off the ignition when oil pressure drops? Or did my motor die due to damage to the motor?

alvinjohn62

Threads
i mean all the oil gush out from the oil filter and then the motor shut down. i guess the filter was not tightened enough and it loosened over time.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does the motor spin freely by hand and is there compression?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Typically low oil switches either trip a light or sound an alarm on mower engines
when they are wired in to protect the engine a low oil switch prevents the engine cranking so you can's start an engine with no oil in it.

Engines that are left unattended like pumps or generators usually have the low oil switch wired to the coil so they shut down if the oil gets too low

I have never seen an oil switch on any Husqvarna branded mower full stop
However I am regularly wrong so go to Husqvarna's web page and download your mowers parts manual .
At the front is your circuit diagram
Note you will need to have your model & serial number off the tag handy .

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wow, never heard of a filter coming off. Most of the time you need Arnold Schwarzenegger to remove it for you. Subscribed.....

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Wow, never heard of a filter coming off. Most of the time you need Arnold Schwarzenegger to remove it for you. Subscribed.....
That is the reason that Briggs came out with a service bulletin to tighten oil filters to 100 in/lb because of filters coming loose. Kohler had issue a few years ago due to the filter manufacturer using oil to help seat the O ring washer and some of the oil was getting trapped behind the seal and then after several heating cycles would come loose and leak.

I find half a dozen a year with filters that are leaking around the seal when they come in for service. Can remove them with just your finger tips.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Most mowers i get in are either holy s-word tight or i can spin them off with my hands.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well it comes down to the fitting instructions most of which are hand tight + ( some fraction of a turn )
So bill the bricklayer can strip the threads before he gets to hand tight while Peter the paper shuffler gets to "hand tight" 3 revolutions before the seal touches the machined face .

alvinjohn62

Threads
ok I killed my motor, got zero compression.