Export thread

i am curious to see what your fav engine is

briggs

briggs

i would like to know what your fav engine is and what engine you dont like ...

I am a brigs and strattion fan as well as Honda....Tecumseh is my least fav easy to work on yes but find more go wrong with them ..Just my opinion lets here yours lol:eek:

K

KennyV

For gasoline engines I agree with your line up... especially with the Tecumseh having the most problems...
With Diesel engines, I have to go with Kubota, Wow they build a very dependable engine... :smile:KennyV

173abn

173abn

don't have a favorite gasser but Yanmar and Kubota are my favorite diesels. russ

grnspot110

grnspot110

I'm partial to Kohlers myself. I do have a Yanmar diesel too (JD 790 Comact Utility)! :smile:

As for least favorite, There's a reason Tecumseh is no longer in business! I do still have a couple of them, 10" tiller & generator. :frown: ~~ grnspot110

briggs

briggs

For gasoline engines I agree with your line up... especially with the Tecumseh having the most problems...
With Diesel engines, I have to go with Kubota, Wow they build a very dependable engine... :smile:KennyV

I have to agree with you on the Kubota i forgot to list diesel as well opps lol....Those darn T.C can be a pain ..I like honda they run good I have one thats 15 years old now and it runs like it did when it was new ...I have always liked Brigs easy to work on ...Not sure about the intek tho there a fussy unit lol

briggs

briggs

I'm partial to Kohlers myself. I do have a Yanmar diesel too (JD 790 Comact Utility)! :smile:

As for least favorite, There's a reason Tecumseh is no longer in business! I do still have a couple of them, 10" tiller & generator. :frown: ~~ grnspot110

lol i hear you on why they are no longer around ...I remember 2 years ago i replaced 15 engines for people on snow-blowers and they where 8 to 10 hp T.C engines ..They blow rods like mad or the carbs are screwed up ...I like the kohlers to lots of power and built well

briggs

briggs

don't have a favorite gasser but Yanmar and Kubota are my favorite diesels. russ

good choice :thumbsup:

C

cohen

I'm getting a lot of insights here. I see a number of affirmations about Kubota. Many friends swear it's a good choice, especially in tropical conditions.

JDgreen

JDgreen

I'm getting a lot of insights here. I see a number of affirmations about Kubota. Many friends swear it's a good choice, especially in tropical conditions.

Does Kubota manufacture their own engines? Just wondering.

173abn

173abn

JD Green,I do believe they do make their own engines,diesel as well as gas. russ

173abn

173abn

after doing a little research I see were Kubota uses Kohler engines however I would say over 95% of the Kubota models use Kubota engines. russ

briggs

briggs

They are a good motor not to bad to work on ether if you understand how diesels work...

briggs

briggs

anyone like cat motors :confused3:

S

stuckinnj

Gas - Kawasaki, Kohler, Honda - the rest just don't matter.
Diesel - Kubota (RTV), Yanmar (JD 4310) & 7.3l Turbo (Ford F-250)

As for working on them - if they don't break, you don't have to worry about how difficult they are to repair. Just maintain them like you'll keep them forever. My Cub 1450 is older then my kids and I didn't have to send it to college:laughing:

K

KennyV

anyone like cat motors :confused3:

If you are referring to BIG cat engines.... Yes they are great.
The smallish 'Cat' labeled diesel engines that you will find in mowers ... I'm not that sure of (yet), they are not made by cat and have not been around long enough to prove out... Their injector pump is made by Perkins so the I pump should be good...
Small under 100 HP diesels #1 Kubota, #2 Yanmar...
I am sure there must be some great small size diesels in Europe that have not had a lot of exposure here in the states... :smile:KennyV

K

KennyV

Does Kubota manufacture their own engines? Just wondering.

Like russ said ... Yes they do make both Diesel and Gasoline engines... They are wonderful to work on...
The diesel engines are absolutely perfectly machined, the engineering is second to none... :smile:KennyV

Here is a link to their Kubota Engine America info site...
Kubota Engine America - Compact Diesel Engines

K

KennyV

Gas - Kawasaki, Kohler, Honda - the rest just don't matter.
Diesel - Kubota (RTV), Yanmar (JD 4310) & 7.3l Turbo (Ford F-250)

As for working on them - if they don't break, you don't have to worry about how difficult they are to repair. Just maintain them like you'll keep them forever. My Cub 1450 is older then my kids and I didn't have to send it to college:laughing:

You know I keep forgetting about that 14 HP Kohler in my 1450 CC, It has LOTS of hours on it and is so dependable I often don't give it a thought. Very reliable long lived tractor/engine... :smile:KennyV

Attachments

JDgreen

JDgreen

Like russ said ... Yes they do make both Diesel and Gasoline engines... They are wonderful to work on...
The diesel engines are absolutely perfectly machined, the engineering is second to none... :smile:KennyV

Here is a link to their Kubota Engine America info site...
Kubota Engine America - Compact Diesel Engines

Thanks for the link, I love small diesel engines, drove commercial straight trucks with big diesels for 30 years and always wanted a diesel powered vehicle of my own but when you drive only a few thousand miles a year it's hard to justify paying big bucks for the diesel engine.

About Briggs, back in '89 I bought a MTD rototiller with the 5 hp Briggs, it gets used only 10 hours a year at most but it's always full throttle operation. Know what I have had to do as far as maintenance and repairs in that time, other than an annual oil change?

Three air filters, five spark plugs, replace one starter rope. It always starts in one or two pulls even after sitting all winter long. Thats reliability for you.

briggs

briggs

If you are referring to BIG cat engines.... Yes they are great.
The smallish 'Cat' labeled diesel engines that you will find in mowers ... I'm not that sure of (yet), they are not made by cat and have not been around long enough to prove out... Their injector pump is made by Perkins so the I pump should be good...
Small under 100 HP diesels #1 Kubota, #2 Yanmar...
I am sure there must be some great small size diesels in Europe that have not had a lot of exposure here in the states... :smile:KennyV

i drove dump truck for a while i didn't mind the big cats ether lots of power ...I havent had one of the smaller ones com in yet ..but heard they are not to bad and wondered what others thought of them ...

173abn

173abn

One of my brother in laws gave me his rototiller he bought for his dad new in the early 60s.has a little 5hp b&s.I did'nt have no use for it because I have a Yanmar pto tiller but my boy wanted to till his g.f. garden so I pulled it out of the barn,put some gas in it and it started right up.Surprised the heck outta me.I forget to say put new oil in it. russ

C

cottom

Kohler is my favorite in the garden tractor field. The K series is rock solid, and long living, I have a Cub Cadet with a K241 that is over 40 years old.

N

noma

Briggs hi

I'm with you i like briggs engines and kohler. I have a few Briggs the one i don't like to much is Briggs 20 hp els the air filter cover is right on top and when you open it up and if there is any grass clipping near by they fall right down in the carb and they are hard to get out again so once i have the cover off i put a clean rag in the carb intake hole so nothing fall in there while im look at the filter to see if i have to clean or change out with a new cleaned one. Other then that it very good engine.

briggs

briggs

Kohler is my favorite in the garden tractor field. The K series is rock solid, and long living, I have a Cub Cadet with a K241 that is over 40 years old.

they did make a great motor 40 years thats great and i bet she still purrs like a kitty

briggs

briggs

Briggs hi

I'm with you i like briggs engines and kohler. I have a few Briggs the one i don't like to much is Briggs 20 hp els the air filter cover is right on top and when you open it up and if there is any grass clipping near by they fall right down in the carb and they are hard to get out again so once i have the cover off i put a clean rag in the carb intake hole so nothing fall in there while im look at the filter to see if i have to clean or change out with a new cleaned one. Other then that it very good engine.

right on good to see another brigs fan ..I do agree with you that els had some design probs. they could have made it a little better ..I feel the same about the inteck as well nice motor if they didnt blow head gaskets all the time or drop the push rod ..I like the good old brigs motors and the I/Cs they where built tough and easy to fix ..Ihave about 6 of the older ones and they all work great

I

indypower

It depends on it use. For riding mowers my favorites are Kohler & Kawasaki. For pushmowers & snowblowers its Tecumseh. The reason so many Tecumseh engines blow is due to how easy it is for homeowners to increase the RPM of the engine, there for overreving them for long periods of time.

briggs

briggs

It depends on it use. For riding mowers my favorites are Kohler & Kawasaki. For pushmowers & snowblowers its Tecumseh. The reason so many Tecumseh engines blow is due to how easy it is for homeowners to increase the RPM of the engine, there for overreving them for long periods of time.

this could be part of the prob ..I also know they had a bad run there for awhile ..I replaced about 19 of them in one winter they all chucked rods and and smashed holes in the block ..it was mostly 8hp and 10hp ones ...The snow king seemed to be a little better ...I dont mind them but man i have 6 snowblower frames sitting here with no motors because i used them for my clients and cant find any lol .....But also if they dont blow i dont make money right :thumbsup:

H

hornet

I've only ever used a mower with a briggs and stratton engine, so a little biased, I have heard that honda engines are quite good.

briggs

briggs

I've only ever used a mower with a briggs and stratton engine, so a little biased, I have heard that honda engines are quite good.

I like brigs myself easy to work on and get parts dont blow up very much I am a big Honda fan also i have 2 ..T.C make an all right lawnmower engine the only thing i dont like about them is the fly wheel key that offset key was one of there flaws ....I had one that was running great it was mine parked it went to use it the next time and it back kicked and i smashed my knuckles bad ...Fly wheel key was messed up and i hadn't hit anything with it

lizard

lizard

Robin stationary engines are as good or better than Honda.:eek:

briggs

briggs

Robin stationary engines are as good or better than Honda.:eek:

to be honest i have never worked on one yet ..or seen one for that matter ...send me some info i would to look at one on line

lizard

lizard

to be honest i have never worked on one yet ..or seen one for that matter ...send me some info i would to look at one on line

Just 'Google'......robin............they are made in japan and north america.
They are the Fourth largest engine manufacturer in the World.
FUJI HEAVY INDUSTRIES:confused2:

K

KennyV

Robin has been around for quite a while... I have a couple small 2 cycle Robin engines... Very nice machining and well engineered.. :smile:KennyV

J

junebug1701

My least favorite is Techumseh. I've always like the Briggs, but now my favorite is the Suzuki on my Toro--it sounds like a motorcycle! The only bad thing is the parts are expensive:

100_0470.jpg

lizard

lizard

how about a B.S.A engine.........made in England..........these were good many moons ago.......pity a very good engine.:ashamed:

lizard

lizard

McDonald diesel watercooled 6 Horse power..........made in Australia......over 50 years old and still starts first turn over!:biggrin:

173abn

173abn

Lizard,I remember BSA motorcycle.A 6hp diesel,that sounds cool. russ