Hydrostatic Transaxles on everyday riding lawn mowers

4950cycle

Threads
  • / Hydrostatic Transaxles on everyday riding lawn mowers
Hi, I'm a newbie here , I notice a lot of riding lawn mowers boast "Hydrostatic Transaxles". But all the riding lawnmowers I've ever worked on have what looks to me is all direct mechanical drive componants variable pulleys, internal gears and such . I've noticed no fluid drive hoses or seals. And have opened them up to replace worn out axle gears and such only to find a gear box full of nothing but grease. Whats Hydro about it ? How do they get away with this boloney ? :rolleyes:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I suggest you haven't been around for a while. Goggle these manufacturers and you will see what a Hydrostatic Transaxle is. Torq Tuff, Peerless, HydroGear, Spicer/Dana. Take part one of these and the only gears you will see are those which make up the differential. This is no baloney to those of us who repair them, there is a big difference between a six speed gear transmission and a hydrostatic transaxle.

sgmgarden

Threads
Welcome to the forum :smile:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi, I'm a newbie here , I notice a lot of riding lawn mowers boast "Hydrostatic Transaxles". But all the riding lawnmowers I've ever worked on have what looks to me is all direct mechanical drive componants variable pulleys, internal gears and such . I've noticed no fluid drive hoses or seals. And have opened them up to replace worn out axle gears and such only to find a gear box full of nothing but grease. Whats Hydro about it ? How do they get away with this boloney ? :rolleyes:

I understand your thinking.
We see the word hydro and think there is a pump with hoses going to a motor.

Like a car has a hydromatic tranny

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

4950cycle

Threads
Than where does the " fluid " come into the picture ? I'm almost sure where motorized machanics comes in Hydro usually means something is hydrolic about it. Unless this is just a word used to marketing them ? I just see a pulley driven simple little muti speed non-synchronized gearbox. Unless I just haven't run into the certain fluid drive type yet ? But don't they call all these riding lawn mower transaxles Hydrostatic ?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Than where does the " fluid " come into the picture ? I'm almost sure where motorized machanics comes in Hydro usually means something is hydrolic about it. Unless this is just a word used to marketing them ? I just see a pulley driven simple little muti speed non-synchronized gearbox. Unless I just haven't run into the certain fluid drive type yet ? But don't they call all these riding lawn mower transaxles Hydrostatic ?

Man I wish I could explain it but I can not.
I have taking then apart and like you can not find a reason to call it a hydro.

There are guys that use them on mowers they play in the mud with. They take them apart clean them out and fill with heavy duty grease.

There are a couple guys on here that can explain this to us maybe they will help out.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

4950cycle

Threads
Thank you Carscw. There are guys on here that are inferring I have no idea what I'm talking about when I say I see nothing " Hydro " about these lawnmower transaxles. Thanks again for confirming I know what I am looking at Carscw ! :rolleyes: to them that don't know what Hydro refers to when it comes to drive systems.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I guess you mean me. When talking about hydrostatic drives, I assume you mean drives or units which include a variable pressure pump, some sort of controlled pressure pistons, a relief valve system, a fluid which is used to transfer the energy and hoses connecting this unit to one or more hydraulic motors and/or cylinders, depending on the size, to do work. The pressure pump is powered is powered by either an electric motor or fuel driven engine. Today's tractors, as well as many other pieces of equipment can now use this type of propulsion system, because the technology is available to put all these parts into a unit just a little larger than the old 6-speed geared transmission. In my opinion, that is the reason it can be called a hydrostatic transmission or trans axle. It has all the components, except hoses, of what you are talking about. Some company's (Simplicity, Wheel Horse, etc) even run their power steering and PTO cylinders off the same pump with hoss. Both the same in different size packages.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
googling will give most people more than they ever wanted on this topic. Interesting note to me is these transmissions have a traction problem (mine). Ebay is full of used ones. Engineering sites lay out 4 or more varieties of them. Some are servicable. My Craftsman dyt 4000 has worked ok now for 10 years . No maintenance checks in the owners manual. FYI