Hydro-Gear ZT 3100, 150 hours, service done at 75 hours. Right side is much slower. Tried to adjust, no luck.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Hydro-Gear ZT 3100, 150 hours, service done at 75 hours. Right side is much slower. Tried to adjust, no luck.
From my distributor SKU look-up.
1717515914606.png

I buy direct from my distributor so I don't know of another source currently but just Google the model number above..

This because I am a HG service center and do get a discounted price on the parts and whole goods.

clubairth

Threads
  • / Hydro-Gear ZT 3100, 150 hours, service done at 75 hours. Right side is much slower. Tried to adjust, no luck.
OK thanks again for checking. Our first attempt will be to take it apart looking for a possible broken brake pawl. If that's not it we will probably be buying a replacement hydro. Since it just locked up all of a sudden and the fluid looked fine. It must be a mechanical failure internal to the hydro?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you want a warranty on it. It will have to purchased and installed by an authorized dealer. Authorized dealer sales across the counter also voids the warranty

clubairth

Threads
Understood and good to know.

clubairth

Threads
Wanted to come back for more advice?
Got the hydro blown apart and found the problem causing the lock up?
The brake setup was much different on this one than what we were expecting and it was not broken.

Found destroyed springs in what I "think" is called the cylinder block?

Here are the broken items. No debris in the hydro and we were puzzled as the unit was still locked solid with no movement at all. All the pieces of the springs were trapped inside the small cylinders. Does appear there is some metal to metal wear on the part that springs ride on.

Hard to see but some rubbing?

Wear on Metal Part.JPG

Broken Springs1.jpg

There are two of these assemblies in each hydro as one is the pump and the other is the motor. Here is the other one and all looks normal?
Good Springs.jpg

Looking for parts and advice?

Attachments

• Good Springs.jpg
    Good Springs.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 1

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Going to need the pump unit and at least the center section. I would go ahead and get the motor also, and change all three items as a unit.

clubairth

Threads
Thanks for the advice. Having trouble finding the part numbers needed?
Any suggestions? We do want to replace all 3 items as you recommend.

We got the correct hydro number up thread but the service manual I have has no part numbers in it?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The 7 piston pump is part number 70723 ($105.06) The motor assy block is 72882 ($53.12) and the center section is 71561 ($227.06) and the seal kit is 73107 ($41.36)

And make sure to make a note or mark the charge pump cover so it gets reinstalled the same direction. If turned 180 degrees will not supply oil to the 7 piston pump to purge, or even operate properly.

Turner66

Forum Newbie
Threads
Out of curiosity, what happens to the center section that it needs to be replaced?
Thank you.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Out of curiosity, what happens to the center section that it needs to be replaced?
Thank you.
Sometimes nothing. But most of the time the mating surface were the piston mates up looks like the scrathed up area on the bottom of your piston motor, or worse. The Hydro-gear approved test is if you run a fingernail across the surface and it catches it is damaged beyond use.