Hydraulic wheel motors

mnymiser1

Threads
Just wanted to introduce myself, I've been in the hydraulic repair business for over 30 yrs and there isn't anything I haven't seen. I had a guy bring in 2 motors from an Exmark and 1 was a Parker and the other a Hydro gear. He said he put the Hydro gear on about 3 yrs ago and had no problems. Just proves that wheel motors are interchangeable depending on the mount. Any way I'm here to answer your questions on wheel motors if you are having problems.
Thanks Mike Johnson. If you have major questions, you can e-mail me mike@marathonmotorswest.com

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Welcome to the forum. Unless its something simple I sure can't see myself working on the hydro motors. We have a local hydraulic shop that I would bring them to. Without proper tools and knowledge you can soon get over your head then it starts costing money.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnMowerForum!

I moved your thread to the Small Engine & Mower Repair forum. :smile:

chance123

Threads
I have a comment/question
On the Exmark pump/motors, they require Mobil 1 synth oil (I think 15w50) Now on the Scag hydro system, they say to use 50w plain old "motor" oil. The pumps and motors look to be the same/similiar on both these two machines.
Here is where I am stumped. I have "never" "ever" had to replace a pump OR wheel motor on a Scag. On the Exmarks? I lost count years ago on all the pumps and wheel motors I have replaced. They both use the 10 micron filter.
I disassembled one of the exmark pumps and the swash plates are destroyed. I am tempted to switch to motor oil in all my customer's Exmarks.
Any thoughts?

mnymiser1

Threads
This is what Hydro-Gear recomends The fluids used in Hydro-Gear products have been
carefully selected, and only equivalent, or better
products should be substituted.
Typically, an engine oil with a minimum rating of 55
SUS (9.0 cSt) at 230

F (110ー C) maximum operating temperature and an API classification of SJ/CD
is allowed. Refer to the vehicle manufacturer for
recommended oil. We also repair parker motors that are used on gutter broom motors on street sweepers. Here are the differences Scag & Exmark use Parker motors on some of their equipment Model TF0240XXXXXX. Street sweepers use TF0280XXXXX. Tymco. a major sweeper maker recommends ISO32 Hydraulic oil. When we test our wheel motors we use ISO 32 Hydraulic oil in our test stand.

I have a comment/question
On the Exmark pump/motors, they require Mobil 1 synth oil (I think 15w50) Now on the Scag hydro system, they say to use 50w plain old "motor" oil. The pumps and motors look to be the same/similiar on both these two machines.
Here is where I am stumped. I have "never" "ever" had to replace a pump OR wheel motor on a Scag. On the Exmarks? I lost count years ago on all the pumps and wheel motors I have replaced. They both use the 10 micron filter.
I disassembled one of the exmark pumps and the swash plates are destroyed. I am tempted to switch to motor oil in all my customer's Exmarks.
Any thoughts?

chance123

Threads
Thanks for the reply, but the specs that you provided can not be found on our oil containers. My main concern was, "why or how" does the Scag that recommends inexpensive motor oil, last forever, when the Exmarks that require the very expensive Mobil one need pump/motor replacements so often? I thought of operator error, but the same crews use both of these machines.

tdm

Forum Newbie
Threads
Question, I know nothing about these types of motors/pumps, however I have a rail kart right now running a 1600cc VW air cooled engine. I am wondering about the possibility of swapping that out for about a 30 hp kohler and trying to drive the rear wheels with a pump and motors like these mowers. Is this even possible and what type of speed would be possible with this? Any thoughts or insight as I have no idea if this would work.