Export thread

Hustler

B

Benjudy

I have 2 Hustlers and have the same problem on both with an additional problem on one. They will not start. Won’t even click. And one of them keeps breaking the belt when it was running. Any suggestions please.

Douglasdzaster

Douglasdzaster

Check safety switches and clean the connections. Double check that the blades are not engaged. I say that because I’ve seen it happen a lot. As far as your belt breaking check the pulleys for wear (bearings) You may need a new mandrel assembly.. Does it rub a flat spot on the belt before it breaks it?

B

bertsmobile1

Won' start wont get much in the way of useful help

We are not there drinking your beer and looking at your mowers
So we need detail and no detail is too insignificant.
So what do you see, hear smell ?
what happens from the time you bum hits he seat till you get off & kick the mower .?

StarTech

StarTech

Won' start wont get much in the way of useful help

We are not there drinking your beer and looking at your mowers
So we need detail and no detail is too insignificant.
So what do you see, hear smell ?
what happens from the time you bum hits he seat till you get off & kick the mower .?
As Bert said we are not there. We need the equipment model number from the serial number tag. There are usually two belts so which is breaking.

I do suspect you got one of the 42" Raptors that I have seen a lot of drive belt breakage.There is few common problem that causes this but we need to know if it is the drive or deck belt that is breaking.

As for not starting. Does the starter even spin the engine or is it not even operating? Each is a different problem.

Douglasdzaster

Douglasdzaster

As Bert said we are not there. We need the equipment model number from the serial number tag. There are usually two belts so which is breaking.

I do suspect you got one of the 42" Raptors that I have seen a lot of drive belt breakage.There is few common problem that causes this but we need to know if it is the drive or deck belt that is breaking.

As for not starting. Does the starter even spin the engine or is it not even operating? Each is a different problem.
He said it won’t even click when trying to start. Which is why I suggested checking all connections,safety switches etc. I should have said to start with the battery and don’t forget the ignition switch. I agree with needing more information. Model and serial number and which belt etc.
Talk to us Benjudy.

B

bertsmobile1

Click from the starter solenoid ( potential safety switch problem )
Click from the fuel solenoid ( potential battery failure / blown fuse )
Low oil so the cut out is working as it should
Lots of options and too many to start guessing with .

StarTech

StarTech

Or it could even like the Honda engine with a solenoid starter.

After repairing the engine. The solenoid would only. Did voltage drop test across the whole starter and had the battery voltage. I finally pulled the starter suspecting the solenoid. IN a way it was the solenoid. It couldn't shift the starter Bendix. The reason it couldn't shift the Bendix was because of rust on the starter shaft. Disassembled cleaned rust off, lube and reassembled. Oh it was a pain to get off and on the retaining ring. Starter now works fine.

Unless the OP chimes back in with the equipment numbers nothing can be done.

H

hlw49

Check to see if the brake switches are being activated when you fold the handles out. We sell Big Dog built by Excel as well and I see this problem quite often.

Mr. Mower

Mr. Mower

Sub'd

The Chairman

The Chairman

I have 2 Hustlers and have the same problem on both with an additional problem on one. They will not start. Won’t even click. And one of them keeps breaking the belt when it was running. Any suggestions please.
Make sure the handles are all the way out. inspect the neutral switches that are at the bottom of each one and check that they are closed. I had the bolts drop out of one switch and that stopped me cold. Both switches have to be closed, in order for the starting circuit to engage. Of course, you could have other electrical problems, such as a bad battery, a broken/missing wire, a bad ground, or even a bad switch. That you have it on both of these makes me feel you might not be fully in neutral.

As for the belt, if it's the drive belt, well I've had all sorts of issues with mine. There is a bolt just in front of the engine, on which the swing arm that holds the idler pulley swivels. You HAVE to tighten the lock nut on it after you replace the belt in order to get the slop out. If it bounces a bit high, the belt will hit the fan and possibly cut it or ruin the fan. I went with a 50x1/2" Kevlar fractional v-belt and replaced the idler pulley to resolve that problem. I have a 60" Raptor SD. I also replaced the spring with a turnbuckle and installed the upgraded axle supports.

FWIW, you gave me enough info to give you a start on what's wrong. No, I don't need to know your model number or even that it's a hustler to see your starting issue as probably having something to do with the safety interlocks. The interlocks make it a bit harder to figure out what's broken, but they're important to a safe operation. My blades cut out yesterday and I have to suss out if it's the wiring or the clutch. I'll be bypassing the safety in the seat for that but once I have it figured out and fixed, I'll reconnect it.

M

MParr

Must not be too big of a problem. The OP hasn’t been back.

B

bertsmobile1

Must not be too big of a problem. The OP hasn’t been back.
Like a lot of people it looks very much like his problem was so pressing & he was so important that it was posted on multiple forums .
No real problem with this except the people who have zero social skills rarely bother to at least come back to the forums they posted on with a closed message.
I am on several other mower forums as well and see this all the time
Way too many with an over inflated sense of their own self importance

H

hlw49

Yea like the guy that demanded I be fire because he answered his phone and I walked off and left him to talk on his important phone call. When he wanted me to tell him how to put the motion belt on a mower he did not buy from us. Go figure.