Hustler

Benjudy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have 2 Hustlers and have the same problem on both with an additional problem on one. They will not start. Won’t even click. And one of them keeps breaking the belt when it was running. Any suggestions please.

Douglasdzaster

Threads
Check safety switches and clean the connections. Double check that the blades are not engaged. I say that because I’ve seen it happen a lot. As far as your belt breaking check the pulleys for wear (bearings) You may need a new mandrel assembly.. Does it rub a flat spot on the belt before it breaks it?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Won' start wont get much in the way of useful help

We are not there drinking your beer and looking at your mowers
So we need detail and no detail is too insignificant.
So what do you see, hear smell ?
what happens from the time you bum hits he seat till you get off & kick the mower .?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Won' start wont get much in the way of useful help

We are not there drinking your beer and looking at your mowers
So we need detail and no detail is too insignificant.
So what do you see, hear smell ?
what happens from the time you bum hits he seat till you get off & kick the mower .?
As Bert said we are not there. We need the equipment model number from the serial number tag. There are usually two belts so which is breaking.

I do suspect you got one of the 42" Raptors that I have seen a lot of drive belt breakage.There is few common problem that causes this but we need to know if it is the drive or deck belt that is breaking.

As for not starting. Does the starter even spin the engine or is it not even operating? Each is a different problem.

Last edited:

Douglasdzaster

Threads
As Bert said we are not there. We need the equipment model number from the serial number tag. There are usually two belts so which is breaking.

I do suspect you got one of the 42" Raptors that I have seen a lot of drive belt breakage.There is few common problem that causes this but we need to know if it is the drive or deck belt that is breaking.

As for not starting. Does the starter even spin the engine or is it not even operating? Each is a different problem.
He said it won’t even click when trying to start. Which is why I suggested checking all connections,safety switches etc. I should have said to start with the battery and don’t forget the ignition switch. I agree with needing more information. Model and serial number and which belt etc.
Talk to us Benjudy.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Click from the starter solenoid ( potential safety switch problem )
Click from the fuel solenoid ( potential battery failure / blown fuse )
Low oil so the cut out is working as it should
Lots of options and too many to start guessing with .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Or it could even like the Honda engine with a solenoid starter.

After repairing the engine. The solenoid would only. Did voltage drop test across the whole starter and had the battery voltage. I finally pulled the starter suspecting the solenoid. IN a way it was the solenoid. It couldn't shift the starter Bendix. The reason it couldn't shift the Bendix was because of rust on the starter shaft. Disassembled cleaned rust off, lube and reassembled. Oh it was a pain to get off and on the retaining ring. Starter now works fine.

Unless the OP chimes back in with the equipment numbers nothing can be done.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check to see if the brake switches are being activated when you fold the handles out. We sell Big Dog built by Excel as well and I see this problem quite often.

The Chairman

Threads
I have 2 Hustlers and have the same problem on both with an additional problem on one. They will not start. Won’t even click. And one of them keeps breaking the belt when it was running. Any suggestions please.
Make sure the handles are all the way out. inspect the neutral switches that are at the bottom of each one and check that they are closed. I had the bolts drop out of one switch and that stopped me cold. Both switches have to be closed, in order for the starting circuit to engage. Of course, you could have other electrical problems, such as a bad battery, a broken/missing wire, a bad ground, or even a bad switch. That you have it on both of these makes me feel you might not be fully in neutral.

As for the belt, if it's the drive belt, well I've had all sorts of issues with mine. There is a bolt just in front of the engine, on which the swing arm that holds the idler pulley swivels. You HAVE to tighten the lock nut on it after you replace the belt in order to get the slop out. If it bounces a bit high, the belt will hit the fan and possibly cut it or ruin the fan. I went with a 50x1/2" Kevlar fractional v-belt and replaced the idler pulley to resolve that problem. I have a 60" Raptor SD. I also replaced the spring with a turnbuckle and installed the upgraded axle supports.

FWIW, you gave me enough info to give you a start on what's wrong. No, I don't need to know your model number or even that it's a hustler to see your starting issue as probably having something to do with the safety interlocks. The interlocks make it a bit harder to figure out what's broken, but they're important to a safe operation. My blades cut out yesterday and I have to suss out if it's the wiring or the clutch. I'll be bypassing the safety in the seat for that but once I have it figured out and fixed, I'll reconnect it.