Export thread

Hustler Raptor SD PTO switch ripped off

drumship

drumship

I ran into an old trailer mowing and the red PTO button got ripped off and at the same time the trailer i hit turn the key so the mower went off with the blades engaged.

I replaced the PTO switch but the mower still thinks they are engaged and wont start!

How can i get it started?

Thanks!
Ken

M

mechanic mark

Take a look at wiring schematic & troubleshooting sections. Let us know if this helps, thanks, Mark
Inspect all your wiring by hand making sure everything is tight & secure. Next disconnect negative cable from battery & let it rest away from battery for 5 minutes, then reconnect negative cable to battery & start engine.

drumship

drumship

Take a look at wiring schematic & troubleshooting sections. Let us know if this helps, thanks, Mark
will take a look thanks!

B

bertsmobile1

Did you get the correct PTO switch ?
I carry around 10 different ones and they will all fit & plug in but only the right one will work .

drumship

drumship

Did you get the correct PTO switch ?
I carry around 10 different ones and they will all fit & plug in but only the right one will work .
Well i am pretty sure it is correct it looks identical and said it was for my model....

StarTech

StarTech

My lord it is a common 3 pole double throw switch. Now Hustler is only using two poles of the switch.

My first question. Does anything works?

drumship

drumship

My lord it is a common 3 pole double throw switch. Now Hustler is only using two poles of the switch.

My first question. Does anything works?
negative...it thinks the blades are still engaged...wont crank.

StarTech

StarTech

If you don't heard any relays clicking especially the kill relay when you are sitting on the seat then it is likely you have blown the main fuse. It is the same if the start relay does operate when you turn the ignition switch to start position. I am not talking about the starter solenoid. Also according to the wiring schematics your hour meter should come on in the run position.

drumship

drumship

If you don't heard any relays clicking especially the kill relay when you are sitting on the seat then it is likely you have blown the main fuse. It is the same if the start relay does operate when you turn the ignition switch to start position. I am not talking about the starter solenoid. Also according to the wiring schematics your hour meter should come on in the run position.
Thank you very much and I will look at it in a bit and report back.

drumship

drumship

the main 15A fuse is not blown. I do not hear any clicking when in start position. The hour meter is working correctly.

B

bertsmobile1

Hustler usually put their wiring diagrams in their parts book
So go to the Hustler > support > manuals and download your manual
Pull the plug off the back of the PTO switch and jump the plug with a short wire with a spade terminal on each end.
On the subject of the plugs pull them off and push them back on tight .
If you have problems working out which wires to jump them post the full mower details off the ID tag so we can pull up the right wiring diagram
OR "Print" the page with the wiring diagram on it as a PDF then export or save it as a JPG then include it in a post as a photo.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

With the key on if you engage and disengage the PTO switch with everything in the mowing position do you hear the PTO clutch engage?

StarTech

StarTech

Come on the wiring on mower is one of simplest you will find and still have any safeties operating.

1629465215596.png
1629465255487.png

According the cross reference of the 776476 PTO switch this is the pin out. Matching colors indicate continuity between terminals.
b1sc88-1.png

Can be be as simple as the PTO connector plug in backwards if no locating blank was used. Either way the kill relay should be operating as well as the start relay even if the wrong PTO switch was installed.