Husqvarna Z254F Stripping Mandrel Pulley

KRoss480

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’ve got a Z254F that is eating through mandrel pulleys. I’ve checked the spindle and everything looks good, the splines on the spindle look good. Any other thoughts or ideas to try?

I let the shop take a look at it and they agreed everything looked good, they replaced the pulley and it stripped out after 3 hours of using it. I bet I’ve gone through 4 pulleys within the last 3 months.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Are you properly torquing it on installation? The nut needs to be torqued at to least the same torque as the blade mounting screw (bolt) which is 55 ft/lbs.

KRoss480

Forum Newbie
Threads
Are you properly torquing it on installation? The nut needs to be torqued at to least the same torque as the blade mounting screw (bolt) which is 55 ft/lbs.
I can’t say for certain cause I don’t have a torque wrench, but I have gotten that thing fairly tight from what I can tell. I would “assume” the shop would have torqued it correctly when they replaced it, but that pulley only lasted 3 hours before it stripped out again.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most auto parts store will rent you (refundable when you return) a torque wrench.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I can’t say for certain cause I don’t have a torque wrench, but I have gotten that thing fairly tight from what I can tell. I would “assume” the shop would have torqued it correctly when they replaced it, but that pulley only lasted 3 hours before it stripped out again.
I wouldn't count on it if what I have seen out the local shops around here. They just hire bodies not brains to do the work.

KRoss480

Forum Newbie
Threads
I wouldn't count on it if what I have seen out the local shops around here. They just hire bodies not brains to do the work.
That’s kinda what I figured, I’ll try and get my hands on a torque wrench to make sure that’s correct.

If we assume that it was torqued correctly and it is still being stripped out, would the spindle be the next thing to look at?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have also found people will over tighten the nut, then the next time they will have a nut which is starting to shear the threads. At this point it looks good, but will not tighten properly.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Also check your IPL to see if you pulley should have a spacer.
I have seen some in the shop where the spacer is omitted so the nut bottoms out on the threads without clamping the pulley tight enough
Also there are several variations of the pulley nuts
Without naming names ( for fear of self incrimination ) I know of one tech who has been caught out a couple of times because he used the wrong nuts or forgot the spring washer
, forgot the spacer or put one that should go under the pulley under the nut .
Thankfully he usually runs each mower for at least an hour before returning them because we all make mistakes

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It is be note that Husqvarna does use thread distorting nuts and they do damage themselves on removal and sometimes damages the threads of the spindle shaft too

And Bert has a good point about the spacer washer as Husqvarna change the bearings in the spindle and eliminated the spacer washer but many of uses after market bearing and must install the spacer before installing the spindle pulley. It easy to tell which bearings are as newer one have a raised center that is the thickness of the spacer.

KRoss480

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’m seeing on the parts diagram that some have the spacer and some do not, I’m gonna have to check mine and see if it has the raised center or not then go from there.