Husqvarna Model R322T AWD Performance: Is the AWD feature worth the added cost?

Arnesto

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Husqvarna Model R322T AWD Performance: Is the AWD feature worth the added cost?
I live in NE Minnesota and the local Husqvarna dealerships have not sold this particular model. Any advise-comments would would be helpful.

Threads
  • / Husqvarna Model R322T AWD Performance: Is the AWD feature worth the added cost?
I moved your thread to the Husqvarna Forum. :smile:

If the terrain of your yard is hilly, AWD might be useful.

anrbob

Forum Newbie
Threads
I finally got my R322T with a 48-inch side discharge deck the other day. After having a heck of a time getting the drive belt on, I was able to get in my first mow.

PROS: It can handle my hill with ease. I was even able to mow a circle around a small tree that is located on the steepest side of the hill (I know, not the smartest thing to do, but I wanted to put it through as much as possible to see what it can do). It does tend to slow down a bit going uphill on the steepest portions, but that is fine with me. Also, I was able to run the mower parallel with the hill. There is definitely some leaning, but I never felt too uncomfortable and it felt much more stable than a garden tractor. Going downhill is fine, just some getting used to (slow and steady wins the race).

I will have to figure out how to properly adjust the deck, but the initial cut was still very nice. I even had some professional landscapers (mowing the neighbor痴 house) tell me that my mower was very interesting and the cut looked awesome. It only bogged once when I tried to run over a massive clump of clippings.

Cutting around trees and tighter areas is great. I can see where I want to go and as long as I take it a slow, I can get around almost anything I want. I am able to get to areas I know a ZTR or a garden tractor would never be able to get.

I love the fact that can have the mower blades still run when going in reverse.

CONS: Nothing too big, but going in reverse with an articulating AWD mower is definitely taking some time to learn. This issue isn稚 bad for a simple back-up on the ground, but when I am trying to come off a trailer with a steep ramp, it痴 almost like trying to direct a go cart with a trailer attached.

Another thing is the lack of power steering. I have absolutely no problem with it (since it as AWD, it sometimes feels like I do have power steering), but I can see it maybe being a problem for some.

The owner痴 manual is very vague about some aspects, like putting the drive belt on. After some searching, I managed to download an exploded-view parts list off the Husqvarna website since the manual didn稚 come with one.

The cutting height adjustment has a scale of 1-10, but it is not in any defined measurement like inches or centimeters. It痴 a guessing game as to how high you are cutting.

My first cut; while learning all the controls and figuring out the lay of my land, it took me about 1.5 to 2 hours for my 1.1 hilly, bumpy, obstacle filled, high grass lot. I am sure after a few more mows I will be able to get it around an hour or under.

So far, I am pretty pleased with my purchase. I have yet to use the flip deck option due to the belt was so hard to get on. Hopefully, over time, the belt will loosen up and I can start cleaning out the deck with some ease.

Razor5000

Forum Newbie
Threads
I live in NE Minnesota and the local Husqvarna dealerships have not sold this particular model. Any advise-comments would would be helpful.
It's a husqvarna Swedish made mower....they discontinued some and change models every cpl years it seems. I have the R120s. Front deck articulating rear engine mower... its not 4x4 like the r322t, but it pulls, BY FAR, better than any mower I've ever ridden or had.!!!! BY FAR.!!!!! Like a goat on a mountainside.!!!