Husqvarna HU600L blade adapter failed, completely sheared off

jeremy2854

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Husqvarna HU600L blade adapter failed, completely sheared off
Hi,
This was the first husqvarna mower I've purchased. Used two seasons. Change oil, spark, air filter, remove blade to get sharpened, every winter. Just pulled the blade off, when bolt came loose, rained a bunch of little metal fragments everywhere, noticed the blade adapter, part number 421782, was completely sheared off.
Ever seen this??
What might cause this to happen??
2013-03-15154522.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is caused by one of the following. Loose blade bolt or the blade bolt came loose because when the blade was installed the star pattern was not aligned properly and shifted while in use, slipped and again the bolt came loose.

Tater

Threads
Hi,
This was the first husqvarna mower I've purchased. Used two seasons. Change oil, spark, air filter, remove blade to get sharpened, every winter. Just pulled the blade off, when bolt came loose, rained a bunch of little metal fragments everywhere, noticed the blade adapter, part number 421782, was completely sheared off.
Ever seen this??
What might cause this to happen??

Honestly, I am still wondering why they fixed something that was not broken... I'm 76 yo, done a darn lot of mowing and never had a problem with the round shaft type blades, then I park my 60" zero turn 89 mod. Wheel Horse and get my new 61" zero turn Husqvarna with the splined/geared type blade attachments and right off the bat I sling a factory installed blade off, damaged but didn't really destroy the splines/gears so I still use it although I have had it happen again on another blade (after sharpening and installing myself) almost hitting my new Silverado PU and also making a good ding in the underside of the deck, this should not be happening, someone could get seriously hurt... I am now really double/double checking that the fit into the splines are correct and all 3 blades are tight plus...
That is all I know to do, just double check the fitment & make sure the blade bolt is properly torqued... I also ask the question, can the blade adapter part number 421782 be replaced without buying the whole spindle/pulley assembly...???
Thanks, and have a good one...Tater...

jeremy2854

Forum Newbie
Threads
yeah, the entire spindle/pulley had to be replaced. Husqvarna makes there no way to directly contact them directly, scary if I need parts in future. HQ's website instructs customers to contact their authorized service centers, several of which were nearby me in the north ohio area.
Unfortunately when I went to the first place, they sold a couple saws, couple mowers, but had no idea how to get parts, told me to call husqvarna, but didn't have a number.
Second place same thing.
Just went ahead and bought the best priced one I could find, which happened to be e ba y. 25 bucks.

The screw part # 851084, also appeared to have been "ground" down thru a few threads, and was also replaced, 5 bucks.

Made sure all parts in their respective grooves when reassembling. Hopefully no more of these repairs.

Tater

Threads
yeah, the entire spindle/pulley had to be replaced. Husqvarna makes there no way to directly contact them directly, scary if I need parts in future. HQ's website instructs customers to contact their authorized service centers, several of which were nearby me in the north ohio area.
Unfortunately when I went to the first place, they sold a couple saws, couple mowers, but had no idea how to get parts, told me to call husqvarna, but didn't have a number.
Second place same thing.
Just went ahead and bought the best priced one I could find, which happened to be e ba y. 25 bucks.

The screw part # 851084, also appeared to have been "ground" down thru a few threads, and was also replaced, 5 bucks.

Made sure all parts in their respective grooves when reassembling. Hopefully no more of these repairs.
Thanks Jeremy, that's about what I figured...
Have a good one...Tater...

Timbro

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just put my third blade adapter on, and it sheared off all of the star pieces in the first three minutes of mowing, just like the others did. I'm about done with this mower. Am I doing something wrong?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The manufacturers name in the end says it all
Sintergy
Thus it is a powder metal pressing
They used to be a forging
Decades ago engineers found you could not directly substitute a powder pressing for a machined part let alone a forging
Nothing wrong with powder pressings, most car gearboxes are full of them but the part has to be designed to be made from a powder pressing from the start.
I suggest you get an aftermarket holder from Rotary, Stens , Prime Line or Rotary.
These are all an upset forging
So either Husqvarna's regular supplier in China could not supply them so they sought a local supply at the same price or it was just a cost cutting exercise that would have done Henry Ford proud .
And the other question is how low are you cutting your grass and how often do you strike things like tree roots, solid garden edging etc.

A powder pressing like that should be used with a system like this swing back adapter so there is no shock loading on the star .
However your government decided that Americans are too stupid to use swing back blades so they would fly off and chop every one's legs off

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The manufacturers name in the end says it all
Sintergy
Thus it is a powder metal pressing
They used to be a forging
Decades ago engineers found you could not directly substitute a powder pressing for a machined part let alone a forging
Nothing wrong with powder pressings, most car gearboxes are full of them but the part has to be designed to be made from a powder pressing from the start.
I suggest you get an aftermarket holder from Rotary, Stens , Prime Line or Rotary.
These are all an upset forging
So either Husqvarna's regular supplier in China could not supply them so they sought a local supply at the same price or it was just a cost cutting exercise that would have done Henry Ford proud .
And the other question is how low are you cutting your grass and how often do you strike things like tree roots, solid garden edging etc.

A powder pressing like that should be used with a system like this swing back adapter so there is no shock loading on the star .
However your government decided that Americans are too stupid to use swing back blades so they would fly off and chop every one's legs off
OTOH you would probably do better sending the failed one to Sintergy and asking them why their adapters have failed 3 times in row.
Their might just have been a manufacturing problem with them that they are not aware of .
2130 Industrial Blvd, Reynoldsville, PA 15851, United States
Sintergy have have gone to the effort of putting their name on the part which shows they are proud of it and take responsibility for its performance.
Be polite.
Tell them you are confused because this has never been a problem with older models .
Ask them if the new part is now considered a service part that has to be replaced with every blade change

If they get back to you please post it here as if this is an ongoing problem we need to know so others can be given correct advice

Last edited:

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I just put my third blade adapter on, and it sheared off all of the star pieces in the first three minutes of mowing, just like the others did. I'm about done with this mower. Am I doing something wrong?
Did the mower work alright for a long time then have the problem that led you to replace the adapter? If so, you may have not found the real problem. The sheared adapter may be a symptom of the real problem. Since I don't own one I have no idea but I would look at anything that lets the load fluctuate - things like bearings that bind, belts that flop around etc..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
have a close look at the photo
Me thinks you might find this is a walk behind
Despite Jeremy not bothering to tell us so .