Husqvarna 265ACX (or 260ACX) Automower.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
That's a good idea. I'll assess the situation when I do the next wheel. Can that expanding foam can be easily cut and trimmed, once it's set? I suspect it can. Or maybe use petroleum jelly smeared over certain parts, so it can be pulled away from where it's not wanted?

it is a VERY good adhesive so, some kind of release agent or non-stick aluminum foil, wax paper, or 2 sheets of plastic, etc. would be necessary. It does cut well-enough, I've found a serrated knife seems to work best.

a test run or 2 in some expendable containers would be a good idea.

Perry

Threads
Re: Husqvarna 265ACX Battery Replacement

After some three years, Coxy has slowed. I suspect that one battery pack has died, or both battery packs are nearing the end of their lives. Mowing time between charges is significantly shorter, as is time in the charging station.

No supply available in New Zealand until January 2017. The price is eye-watering: $NZ1012 for the pair. (Two are needed)

An Internet search for the item (part no. 578 84 87-02) brings only a few results and most are from Europe - Germany predominately. Price there is circa $NZ555, with no indication of freight costs.

Anyone else been down this battery replacement path?

This is what an original battery is supposed to look like.

10692_0.jpg

Note: It appears that the 578 84 87-01 is the NiMH version of the battery pack. The 578 84 87-02 is the Li-ion battery pack

MowerMike

Threads
Have you considered the possibility of having the battery packs rebuilt ? I've had similar battery packs rebuilt by an electronics store, and it was considerably cheaper than buying the OEM battery pack.

Perry

Threads
That's a tricky one. The job of actually installing the new battery packs is something I'm going to get the dealer to do, being the local outfit that supplied the mower. Coxy has a computer interface plug that (after battery replacement, I suppose) is hooked up to the dealer's computer running Husqvarna software called autocheck. A number of usage counter values and other recorded details are read from Coxy, into the dealer's computer, then appropriate values in Coxy are reset to zero. Not something that the home handyman can do, obviosly. Like certain other e-devices on the market, there is the possibility that non-OEM battery packs would lack a certain chip and so be rejected by either Coxy's on-board micro-processor or the dealer's software module.

Even if I tried to do it myself, I would not be able to do what the dealer's software can. There would be no warranty problem with me attempting the task, as the guarantee expired, a year ago. The OEM pack is Li-ion. There are a range of 'knock-offs' available at much lower prices (half), but they are NiMH, not Li-ion.

I have done cordless drill battery pack replacements, myself, so have a small idea of what's involved. That aside, I think it's better to give the local dealer the job. I've had good service from them, since day one, too.

I'm now on the way to arranging the purchase of replacement battery packs from Germany. I have located a shop there where they speak fair English and give the impression of being quite good at what they do.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Encourage the local dealer to have the parent company 'authorize' a local electronics shop to rebuild Husqy battery packs - could be beneficial for everyone in the future.

Perry

Threads
Could be. But I'm not holding my breath. Even if the local dealer thought it was a good idea. To do that would erode HV profit margins. Few companies would willingly do that.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
Not all manufacturers view repair as a profit center. For us (embedded computers) repair is a part of customer service.

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
That battery looks like a typical rc car battery pack. Like a 7.2 volt Nimh pack except for the wacky wiring. Maybe you could swing by the rc shop of battery shop.

Perry

Threads
Replacement battery packs

As far as I know, Coxy uses two x 22v Li-ion 4250Ma battery packs, in parallel.

There were plenty of NiMH knock-off types on eBay, but no Li-ion.

Anyway, I've bitten the bullet and two packs are now somewhere between Germany and New Zealand, being trundled along by DHL.
(The tracking number doesn't work)

I propose to retain the old battery packs to see if some of your suggestions might work. I've re-powered a couple of cordless drill battery packs, so I know re-powering can sometimes be done.

I think these battery packs, robocan fly spray dispensers and some cordless drills have a thing in common. To keep the OEM purchase price down, the refills / replacement packs / whatever are where some off-set or cross-subsidy profits are hoped for.

1 Lucky Texan

Threads
the 18650 cyl. batt (18.6 × 65.2 - ~68mm with prot. crct.) is probably in a vast majority of Li-ion powered products. is the present pack's dimension some multiple of those battery dimensions? Quite possible they are the newer 21700 size, maybe 12 in that 'pack'.

anyway - I bet you can rebuild your old packs.

Last edited: