Husqvarna 2348 starter motor - lessons learned

TheWatfordFox

Threads
Success. I'm not a mechanic, but with very generous help from this forum I have succeeded in getting my mower started again. I thought it might be helpful to sum up what I learned

The Problem
1. When I tried to start the mower, the starter made an attempt to engage the flywheel but didn't turn the engine over. I oroginally assumed that this was a flat battery.
2. Had the battery checked - no problem
3. Then moved onto the starter. Checked this by shorting out the solonoid with a jump lead fitted between the red battery terminal and the red lead on the starter. The starter tried but was unable to turn the engine
4. Assumed at this point that the problem was the starter motor, so decided to remove it

The Fix
1. Removed the battery
2. Removed the plastic blower housing top cover and screen
3. Downloaded the Briggs and Stratton repair manual from their website
4. Removed the air guide to expose the starter motor
5. Starter motor is held in place by two 1/2/" or 13mm bolts. Managed to remove the rearward bolt easily. The forward bolthead was occluded by the starter motor. After lots of advice about how to get this off, the simplest method was to use a 100mm long T40 Torx screwdriver bit (」3 of Ebay)
6. Tested the starter motor by attaching it to a 12v battery - appeared to spin freely, but the plastic gear was chewed
7. Sourced a repair kit locally - 」10 inc new gear, spring, retainer, clutch drive, spring washer and c clip
8. Struggled to remove the old c clip, so just attacked the clutch drive with a hacksaw, removing it bit by bit, until I could get the retainer to drop down the spindle and expose the c clip
9. Managed to push off the c clip with 2 screwdrivers. I noted that some people had lost the clip this way, and enclosed the motor in a plastic shopping bag so that when the clip flew off, it was contained by the bag
10. Spent 2 hours fruitlessly trying to refit the new c clip. Watched several youtube videos (do all engineers have beards ?!) then got the breakthrough...
11. Stood the Motor on its base, spindle up. Placed a 3/8" open ended spanner over the retainer, with the c clip and spindle poking through. (I had tried a 3/8" socket but this didn't work)
12. Gave it a gentle but firm tap with a hammer, and the clip slid onto the spindle
13. Used a screwdriver to make the final push to get the c clip into its slot around the spindle tip
14. Tested the motor with a 12v battery
15. Refitted the starter
16. Started first time
17. Deep joy and smugness

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Perfect ... and a great ending...
I like that you test or have tested... instead of just replacing...
Also repairing the bad piece, instead of R&R the complete starter... Great job... :smile:KennyV

TheWatfordFox

Threads
Thanks Kenny - it is very satisfying to mend something and get it working again. :cool: