Husqavarna Lawn Tractor - Limited slip

dhwooda

Forum Newbie
Threads
I recently bought a new Husqavarna lawn tractor - I bought the LS version due to having a steep slope on my lawn and wanting the Limited slip version. After bveing disappointed in the performance of the Limited slip option I found out that only two of the three LS models are actually limited slip. Now I have to trade this in and trade up to a Limited slip mower or stay with what I have. I sacrificed the mowing capability (compared to my old Simplicity) to get the limited slip and now have an ok tractor -- Simply said do your research better than I did -- even the dealer didn't know the facts on this mower to give me the correct guidance!

:frown:

noma

Threads
Hi dhwooda

Welcome aboard, sorry to hear about your new mower. Its hard to find just what a person wants and to find a dealer that knows.

173abn

Threads
dhwooda,I'll second that welcome.This is a great forum. Sorry to hear about your new mower not living up to your expections . russ

outdoors Joe

Threads
I'm sorry that the dealer didn't give you the right information about the mower. When I'm looking for something that is going to cost a lot, I check it out online. It's saved me from making some costly mistakes.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I recently bought a new Husqavarna lawn tractor - I bought the LS version due to having a steep slope on my lawn and wanting the Limited slip version. After bveing disappointed in the performance of the Limited slip option I found out that only two of the three LS models are actually limited slip. Now I have to trade this in and trade up to a Limited slip mower or stay with what I have. I sacrificed the mowing capability (compared to my old Simplicity) to get the limited slip and now have an ok tractor -- Simply said do your research better than I did -- even the dealer didn't know the facts on this mower to give me the correct guidance!

:frown:

I am sorry you had to learn this the difficult way, and thank you for sharing your experience with the rest of us. Your post reminded me of something I experienced with my older JD 318...it was a hydrostatic drive, with a pedal for each rear brake, a number of times I lost traction with one rear tire and was unable to move, yet a gentle application of the brake for the spinning tire often transferred the power to the other side. I don't know if this type of behavior was typical of other brands, might be a dumb suggestion but if your new tractor has hydro and a pair of brake pedals give it a try.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Steering brakes are on some garden/lawn tractors... they are one of the links from real tractors used in AG applications...
The application of selective wheel brakes works great and is available on a few high end cars today as computer operated 'traction control'
... you were just ahead of the automotive development curve AND you were doing the job the computer is doing today... :smile:KennyV

Attachments

• Hotrod Side.jpg
    Hotrod Side.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 115
  • Hotrod Mirrors.jpg
    Hotrod Mirrors.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Hotrod Rear.jpg
    Hotrod Rear.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 69
  • Hotrod Front.jpg
    Hotrod Front.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 72

lizard

Threads
Yes i see what you mean , but a limited slip differential is suppose to lock both rear driving wheels and not differentiate........this is truly false advertising!:mad::mad:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes i see what you mean , but a limited slip differential is suppose to lock both rear driving wheels and not differentiate........this is truly false advertising!:mad::mad:

Limited slip will allow for some slippage, clutch packs in the differential...
a true locking differential will not allow any slippage... I have ran the limited, ok on snow, but a true locker like the Detroit locker, (I had that in my 'fun' car years ago) that is a no slip...

For tractor usage the locking drive axle is a bit different... push a locker pedal and work great, need to unlock to allow you to turn right or left...

A Husqavarna limited slip I would guess is more like the clutch pack version used on cars and trucks. I am not familiar with how Husqavarna Lawn Tractor Limited slip was intended to function... :smile:KennyV

handirifle

Threads
Some Husky mowers have a locking diff, that is foot operated like a real tractors. A limited slip diff is NOT a locker. Sorry you were either misinformed or mislead. My guess is a lot of dealers do not understand the difference.

To me, the limited slip confuses more people than not. The limited slip drive both wheels WHEN BOTH HAVE TRACTION, but when one slips, you're done. It's supposed to transfer some energy to the other wheel, but in my experience, it a good theory, that never works, at least for me it hasn't. A locking diff, will spin both wheels at the same speed, all the time, when locked, thus unless you are on a slippery surface, ie. mud, or snow, you have to disengage it to turn or you can snap differential gears

As was posted, if there was some way to apply a brake to the spinning wheel you could get the other one to bite. I live on very moist land, and traction is a BIG issue for me. I'd LOVE a 4WD mower, and am seriously considering stepping up to a Kubota BX series with a belly mower, just to get 4WD.

I have studied the Husky mowers a lot, and there are only a few models with a LOCKING differential, but most have a limited slip.

Sorry you found out like this.

ingigo

Threads
I have a YT48XLS, the limited slip differential locks the rear differential as soon as it detects wheel spin. It works perfectly for difficult mowing. No buttons or pedals, but it will rip up sod until you learn how to use it. I was at the dealer today viewing the Husqvarnas and Simplicities. With both, you either have a Garden tractor with a beautiful large transmission, no PTO really, but honestly I found no difference other than a switch to engage the locked differential, 22" narrow tires and a transmission that it mounted to most of the rear chassis...remarkable. If you are only mowing evil terrain I strongly suggest the XLS.