HRX217HYA K4 vs K5

HONDA-GUY

Threads
Anyone know the major differences between the K4 and K5 models? I can tell the air filter cover and the shroud is different but i am wondering if anything else was "tweaked" Maybe Robert could chime in?

Threads
Essentially there are no differences. None that matter in my opinion. I have the K3 and the K5, and the only differences I notice are that the red engine cover is a slightly different shape, they went with a black pull rope instead of white, and the exhaust cover differs slightly. I don't know which of those changed from the K4 to the K5. So to sum it up if I was offered a K4 for a cheaper price than a K5 (introduced 5/1/15), I wouldn't hesitate to get the K4. You'd be happy with both.
Have a safe Thanksgiving.

k3 k5.PNG

Here's a copied post from Robert on the same topic:
Okay, found it:

First, understand the K-number (a.k.a. "version number") bumps up when there are significant changes.
Next, when a new model is introduced, the K-number can bump up for all other similar models, so they share the same K-number. This can happen even if there are NOT big changes.

Such is the case with the HRX217HYA. The K4 and K5 versions are essentially the same. The fan cover shape changed, and revised weight specs show the K5 version is a about 1 lb. heavier than the K4. Such minor updates would usually just be documented as a running changes, but instead, all HRX models got a bump to K5.

Honda introduced a new model to the HRX family, the HRX217[K5]VYA, and other HRX models with Smart Drive got updated with Select Drive. These were big enough changes to justify a bump from K4 to K5. Now the remaining HRX siblings, the hydrostatic-drive HYA and hydrostatic-drive/electric start HZA were also bumped to a K5, even though the only change to them was the shape of the fan cover. :rolleyes:

HONDA-GUY

Threads
Thanks for the info! I guess if I had searched the forum I would've seen that he had covered it already. Lesson learned......