How to make file size smaller for pictures so that I can show pictures from my phone it keeps saying they are too large.

bogdaN

Threads
  • / How to make file size smaller for pictures so that I can show pictures from my phone it keeps saying they are too large.
I would like to ask Administrator if they can do something to post pictures Easy.My neighbor was helping me once ,but that take 20 clicks not easy to remember for baby boomers.
I think that is why we don't see to many pictures.Thanks and Happy New Year.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
  • / How to make file size smaller for pictures so that I can show pictures from my phone it keeps saying they are too large.
upload them to an image host, and then paste the link in the URL box from where you would normally upload a picture
1703515144222.png

wekjo

Threads
Can anyone please tell me how to reduce the size of the file for my pictures so that I can post them from my phone.
What I do is first move the files from phone/tablet to my desk top. You can do this via a USB cable. I have used a free picture program for about 20 years with no problems to view pics and crop them. Then I just save them and they are usually about 1/3 of their prior size. The program is called Xn View for windows.

old yooper

Forum Newbie
Threads
The reducing the size is sorta dependent on what operating system and or if you are on a pad, phone or computer. I just went through this and it took a few searches before I found a way to do it. I basically had to save the photo as a pdf and then when saving the pdf, used an option that let me choose what size and what I wanted the picture saved as. The photo went from a 30 mb raw photo to a 5 mb jpg. This was done on a Mac, so Windows or Android machines will more than likely be different.

Kiss4aFrog

Threads
Like Wekjo just above I also use my laptop/desktop. I'm running a free program (irfanview) that I've had for well over 10 years. No spyware, no ads, it's run smoothly. It has way more features than I use but it's great for reducing photo size for posting on line and it also allows you to rotate a photo so you're not posting something upside down or sideways.
----> https://www.irfanview.com/
On my laptop I have "Phone Link". It's Microsoft, it's also free. It allows you to Bluetooth connect your phone to your computer so no cables needed. You can either download the photo from the Phone Link app to "downloads" and then attach it to your post and delete or save it to a folder as it's something you want to keep and attach it to your post from the folder location.
Irfanview would be used after after you download the photo to a location on your computer. In a lot of cases I save the original with a tag "LG" and then a second photo that has been reduced to the 640x480 ?? posting size with a suffix of "SM" The reason I save them both is the larger one is better for detail on a larger monitor screen and should I want to share the photo in the future I have one ready to go. Maybe it's just my OCD but it works for me. :)

donslawns

Forum Newbie
Threads
Try this red neck solution:
If you are taking a picture of a file, like a flat bastard file try using a smaller file or move your cell fone further away so the file will not be too large for the screen shot.
LMAO! OK smart guy what if it's a standard mill file?

Roy697

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have android. Downloaded RESIZE App. Easy to use and share resized pictures.

the.doc

Threads
In your search engine type "compress jpg" or "compress png" or whatever file type your photos are. You'll get back lots of web sites that will do it for free. You upload the file to the website, tell it the level of compression that you need, and download the result.

Also, sometimes I have to email a photo to myself from my iPhone in order to copy it to my laptop. When I do that, the phone offers me several levels of compression to use for that transfer. Once it's done, I drag the compressed file from the email to my desktop.

Mad_mat222

Threads
There are many free apps available. I use apple. On iPhone and iPad I use “Resize”. Very easy. Open app, select photo and save to required mb count. Can crop and do a few other things as well. Android would have similar options. Saving photos such as pdf and converting will effect you image quality and May struggle when using certain file types like .png

PGB1

Threads
My Motorola Android phone only takes giant photos with multi-megabit file sizes and large dimensions. It's easy & quick to shrink the file size and the dimensions on a Mac computer. (I don't have an iPhone or iPad, so I don't know if these work on them.)

If you happen to have a Mac available, the below methods work for jpg, png or any photo format. (Doesn't work on pdf) You can do one photo, or a bunch of them at once.

One Photo At A Time Method:
Copy the photo to the computer with a cable, e-mail or any of the seemingly endless methods.
Open the photo in Preview App.
Go to "Tools" in the Menu Bar, then click on "Adjust Size" in the list that will appear.
Choose any size, or make a custom size and save it by clicking "File-Save" or CMD-S (Hold Command Key and tap the S key)
You can also change perspective. (Example: If it was 1200 x 1400, you can make it 800 x 1400- or whatever you wish.)

The photo will temporarily look tiny on the screen, but close & re-open it to have it appear in a normal size window as though the photo was always your new size. You can keep it as a photo, export it to another format or save as pdf.

Multiple Photos At Simultaneously:
Put the ones you want to shrink in a folder on the Mac computer
Open the folder
Choose "File - Select All" or press CMD-A
Right-click any of the photos
Click "Open With" and choose "Preview"
In Preview, click "File - Select All" or press CMD-A
Go to "Tools" in the Menu Bar, then click on "Adjust Size" in the list that will appear.
Choose any size, or make a custom size and click File-Save or CMD-S.
The photos will temporarily look tiny on the screen, but close & re-open them to have them appear in a normal size window as though the photos were always your new size.

I hope this will be helpful to you or to someone else who reads this in solving this aggravating giant photo dilemma.

Paul