How much compression should a Briggs V-twin engine in a rider have?

Sigma.40

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / How much compression should a Briggs V-twin engine in a rider have?
2000 Huskee Wide Cut GT 26hp. I was cutting the grass and it was running excellent. Suddenly started running a little rough, then the rpm’s dropped, the throttle lever did not change anything and then it died. Now it cranks but won’t start. The fuel filter is full of fuel, the spark plugs are only a few months old. I cranked it with the plugs out and I feel decent size puffs coming out of the spark plug holes. My compression gauge is 60 miles away at work. Trying to decide if it’s worth it to drive 120 miles round trip to get it.

The compression doesn’t blow my hand away but i definitely feel it. The mower was ran out of fuel in November and stored in the garage since then.

EDIT- I realize that I’m also skipping the checking for spark. My spark tester is also at work and the auto parts store here doesn’t have one.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds to me like you have a blown head gasket. Have you checked with a local auto parts store? Many have free loaner tools where you pay a fee up front, but the fee is returned when you return the tool. Leak down tester will give to a better idea of the problem, than a compression tester.

Sigma.40

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds to me like you have a blown head gasket. Have you checked with a local auto parts store? Many have free loaner tools where you pay a fee up front, but the fee is returned when you return the tool. Leak down tester will give to a better idea of the problem, than a compression tester.
I broke down and made The 120 mile trip to work and back. Compression is 125psi. I have no spark on either bank. I’ll try to figure out why tomorrow.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
We do kinda need the equipment and engine numbers.

But with ignition not firing. First thing would be to pull the engine's shroud and disconnect both coils kill wires at the coils then try starting.

Sigma.40

Forum Newbie
Threads

But with ignition not firing. First thing would be to pull the engine's shroud and disconnect both coils kill wires at the coils then try starting.
Ok, I will do that. If it runs with the kill wires disconnected, what will that tell me? If it starts, could I mow my lawn like that and fix the issue afterwards?

The engine is Briggs and Stratton 407777

Sigma.40

Forum Newbie
Threads

I disconnected the kill switch wires and it started. It ran well for about 20 seconds and stalled. I then checked for spark with the switches disconnected and there was none.