how many of you repair small engines as a hobby? $$

natenkiki2004

Threads
  • / how many of you repair small engines as a hobby? $$
I'm getting into it as a hobby myself. I've found that a lot of people just want to be rid of non-working lawnmowers & other equipment. They don't want money out of it, they just want the garage space back. Most of the time they're simple fixes too. Post an advertisement on Craigslist saying that you want free/cheap fixer-uppers and that you'll pick them up. I've gotten several free & cheap deals that way. Best time is in the spring, right when everybody is preparing to get their lawn equipment ready and they find out that it won't start or runs poorly. Right now, people will be starting to prepare snowblowers so you could get in on that OR find people that want to be rid of their old mower that barely made it through this season.

I think Craigslist is a great starting point. Post an advertisement at various places, ask around, talk to the guys at NAPA and whatnot. Once the word gets out that you fix mowers and whatnot, you'll have people dropping things off in your yard like twinfords does :)

91c1500

Forum Newbie
Threads
Many thanks for the reply, i'll try that. I'm going to get some tools Friday if this paycheck allows since mine have been 'lost'... I needed new ones any way haha. Enough rambling, thanks again.

Oh yeah another slight derail, do you (or anyone else here) know of a site like alldata.com for mowers, lawn tractors, weed eaters, etc? I ask because, while i did go to school for small engines, i never claim to know everything and sometimes all i can do is look at something and scratch my head trying to figure out the problem.

natenkiki2004

Threads
I didn't go to school for any of this. I bought a mower somewhere around 1.5-2 years ago because trying to use an electric weedeater on 6 acres is a pointless battle :) Before then, I had maybe 15 minutes experience of running small engines and absolutely no experience working on them. Now, I feel I know a couple things and have troubleshooted & tuned up engines with information I've only gotten from the Internet. Do Google searches with the model number and you'll find other people asking questions about your specific unit. Check out PartsTree.com, they pretty much have all the diagrams for anything. I've found that MTD (who owns a ton of sub-companies; Cub Cadet, Yard-Man, Bolens... on and on...) is very receptive to online inquiries about diagrams & parts. Briggs & Stratton is the same way, they have diagrams and owners manuals online for pretty much any engine, you just have to plug in the numbers which are usually on the top of the blower housing.

The Internet is a mighty tool if you know how to use it correctly :)

T-LeDoux

Threads
Hi I am new here and am retired so I started tinkering with small engines to pass the time. My son works at a scrap yard so he keeps me busy working on Mowers and small engines, Plus I have access to free parts :)Most of my work is for friends so I don't make a lot of money at it. Just out of curiosity what should I charge for repairs seeing how I am not a licensed mechanic?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hi I am new here and am retired so I started tinkering with small engines to pass the time. My son works at a scrap yard so he keeps me busy working on Mowers and small engines, Plus I have access to free parts :)Most of my work is for friends so I don't make a lot of money at it. Just out of curiosity what should I charge for repairs seeing how I am not a licensed mechanic?

I am a retired machanic but just for something to do repair anything small like mowers, motorcycles, etc, I just charge 10 dollars a hour plus parts. Don't make much money at it but by the end of the year I end up with 3 to 4 thousand in the bank. Nice for a small trip for my wife and me. Free parts has to even be better because that is my main expence.

twinfords

Threads
Yup, like a said in my first post, I just stumbled onto repaireing small engine equipment. fixed family members stuff, best friends stuff and from there it just grew into fixing everything with an engine and more, i charge $40.00 an hr plus parts, i pick up and deliver as well, sometimes do stuff for free or barter. yes 33 trimmers some are beyond fixing some are fixable. newspaper ads are good as well. lots of older folks still read the paper and have older (nicer equipment they would part with).

picked192

Forum Newbie
Threads
What was a hobby by souping up mopeds in my early years and taking a liking to chainsaw tuning has turned in to a very serious business for 27 years now.
The business has evolved from very busy with saws and mowers to sleds and quads and an upswing again to trimmers and mowers.
Still enjoy tuning a good two stroke,but looking to slow down and retire.:drink:

T-LeDoux

Threads
I have just started repairing small engines as a pass time. What do most of you pay for your chain saws, weed whackers and mowers ? Does it depend on the make or do you just have a set price you pay for used equipment ? Thank You :smile:

twinfords

Threads
I have just started repairing small engines as a pass time. What do most of you pay for your chain saws, weed whackers and mowers ? Does it depend on the make or do you just have a set price you pay for used equipment ? Thank You :smile:

i usually get everything for free / trade in. i never pay more than $50.00 for a walk behind mower, trimmers (free) they are not worth fixing. disposable society. chainsaws can get ugly with scored P/C's i usually pay $20 - $25 for saws.

twinfords

Threads
i actually try and stay away from riders, by the time you just do a full tuneup etc it could cost you $250- $300 in parts and labor, then you have to sell it. if i get it for free then i have some room to work on it.