How do I test the ignition solenoid?

CNC Pro

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings all,
I have a Craftsman model # 917270923 riding mower with the 19.5 Turbo Twin Cylinder engine. It has been sitting for 3-4years and I have been trying put it back to work.
I purchased a new battery at the end of last fall, but never got a chance to install it. It spent the winter in the garage in the mower (but not connected). The other day I connected the battery and it was no surprise to find that it had lost its charge.
I connected some jumper cables to it from my truck and gave it a few turns (with the spark plugs removed) just to get things turning and oiled after its long hibernation. I put the spark plugs back in, fresh gas, and a few more turns still no luck. But what I did notice was that the starter began to slow down, then it would not turn over anymore.
The engine turns, but nothing more from the starter. I was afraid a new starter was in my future.

Yesterday, I went through it with a multi-meter checking ALL the switches on the machine and everything seems good (even the battery is showing a charge). I wondered if it could be the ignition solenoid or the ignition switch, so I bypassed them with the jumper cables and connected to the starter positive and the battery negative lead. A quick touch to the truck battery had the mowers starter jumping to life.
So now i am left thinking it is the ignition solenoid or the ignition switch. How do I test the ignition solenoid?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
If your starter turned with direct jumpers, it is probably not the starter or solenoid. I would start by making sure the new battery is fully charged and clean ALL the wiring connections (even if they don't look dirty). Poor contact connections can cause severe current loss and cause weak starter operation.

CNC Pro

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is good advice BKBrown, I will check those connections. I was just wondering if I by-passed the solenoid using the method of direct connection of the positive jumper cable to the starter? I suppose the solenoid was tested when the negative jumper lead was connected to the battery. Right?
I have attached a photo of the solenoid in question.

Attachments

• solenoid.bmp
    229.7 KB · Views: 53

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'd get the battery charged and connections clean before buying any new parts. Good Luck ! :thumbsup:

CNC Pro

Forum Newbie
Threads
My head and my wallet agree with you whole heartily BKBrown!
Thank you for your help

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Actually, your original thought of the solenoid is probably right. If you can direct-jump the starter and it turns over no problem, but it's weak while using the key - by all means, do what BK suggested, and clean everything good - but if it is still weak, the solenoid is the culprit. The contacts inside it are probably pitted and burned.

This very issue has happened to me at least 4 times on different machines! Good luck, though! Might just be a dirty connection! :thumbsup:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have attached a photo of the solenoid in question.

I'm glad you posted the picture... as the title of your post drew me to this thread...
I had to see what an ignition solenoid is...? I have made ignition relays, and some refer to relays as solenoids...
but I wanted to see what you had...

That is a Starter Solenoid.
And as mentioned, start with a freshly charged battery...
You already have a multimeter, use it to find a Voltage Drop across any suspected switch, relay or solenoid... it's the fastest and only positive test you can do. Using the ohm meter function will not normally show a bad connection... Using the voltage function and measuring the voltage dropped across any device will always show where the electrical problem is.... :smile:KennyV

CNC Pro

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just tried to start it again after 2 days of charging on a 2 amp charge (it's fully charged)... still nothing. Although I did hear a click from the solenoid (I believe). So I guess I'll have to get the multi-meter out and see if I can pick up were the voltage drop is.

GentlemanFahmah

Threads
Just tried to start it again after 2 days of charging on a 2 amp charge (it's fully charged)... still nothing. Although I did hear a click from the solenoid (I believe). So I guess I'll have to get the multi-meter out and see if I can pick up were the voltage drop is.
OK - I'm willing to bet that your battery ground cable connection to the frame of the mower, the one buried up and underneath, is loose.

When the solenoid clicks, it's not getting enough juice and that could be not from a weak battery, but from weak connections.

Clean BOTH ENDS of BOTH battery cables with a wire brush and then tighten them up snug and report back.

james47

Forum Newbie
Threads
my craftsman 42in kohler 15.5 mower would just click, click ended up jumping the solenoid with a screwdriver she spun over and cranked fine ..oh and turn the ignition switch on. (it's been sitting up all winter) Guess I need to replace my solenoid!