Honda's future in the 21 in. Battery Lawn Mowers

GrumpyCat

Threads
The idea of buying a new $200+ battery every few years has NEVER sat right with me either.
Still using my 2016 EGo 7.5 Ah battery. Why do you think you need to buy a new battery every 2 years?

EGo batteries have a 3 year 100% replacement warranty. If one registers the 10Ah battery warranty within 90 days the warranty is 5 years.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Still using my 2016 EGo 7.5 Ah battery. Why do you think you need to buy a new battery every 2 years?

EGo batteries have a 3 year 100% replacement warranty. If one registers the 10Ah battery warranty within 90 days the warranty is 5 years.
Because very few people actually register for a warranty. Because outdoor power equipment batteries don’t always last past three years or so, fact. Because the batteries by themselves are very expensive.

Blaine B.

Threads
Lawnmowers and cars are apples and oranges. If an electric car would be able to travel long distances in a day, were economical and had the infrastructure to support them, then folks may more readily consider them. Now a lawnmower, not as bad, but there are considerations still. Electric mowers are still very costly and most people aren't that keen on ditching a perfectly good mower to buy another that costs far more. And in this economy, that's a huge ask while people are struggling just to keep their head above water.
As far as gasoline is better, well, look at that car travelling from New York to Chicago. A 12:30 trip of about 800 miles is doable in a day. While you can adopt a different mindset, the reality is that an electric car makes this trip a PITA or even impossible with at least 2 stops to recharge (@ 1-10 hours based on charger type and battery condition) making this trip at best 14:30 and an overnight stay at worst. Unless somehow in the electric world the laws of physics no longer apply. Not to mention an even longer trip. I know folks that own property in NY and FL and drive to vacation in FL. The longer the trip the worse the experience. Don't forget, that the electric infrastructure simply will not support all electric vehicles. The current infrastructure is in need of upgrades and that is for everyday life currently. It can't handle plugging in every device to go electric. A mindset of gasoline is better prevents the total collapse of the electric grid and the standard of life we currently enjoy while the brighter minds overcome the range/capacity limitations and develop the infrastructure to handle those changes.
The lack of range and lengthy charging times are the perfect combination to be utilized in order to significantly reduce the amount of private travel that the serfs are allowed to do.

GrumpyCat

Threads
Because very few people actually register for a warranty. Because outdoor power equipment batteries don’t always last past three years or so, fact. Because the batteries by themselves are very expensive.
Oh, I didn't know my batteries "don't always last past 3 years." So far, all have.'

And yes, name brand EGo batteries are not cheap. Aftermarket EGo batteries are of lesser quality, live down to your expectations. But EGo uses 18650 cells for which high quality replacements are available for reasonable prices. When time comes I'll tear down my EGo battery(s) and replace the cells.