Honda Trimmer

smitts961

Threads
Just wondering if anybody is using any Honda trimmers commercially or even just residential? I've been reading a lot about their mini 4 strokes. Not looking to buy one, just looking for some info on them. Thanks for replies

JSB33

Threads
Will be interested in hearing feedback on these as well.

Threads
Here is a review I found: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=373877

Honda Trimmer - HHT35SLTA - Mini Review

"Bought one of these this past weekend after doing a ton of research on all the prosumer/commercial trimmers...Stihl, Echo, Shindaiwa, and Husqvarna. Previously used a Husky 125L (predecessor to the 128L). The Husky was total junk and I had continuous problems with it.

Yes the Honda was expensive but I still think it's a tremendous value and well worth the price. It is obvious that Honda put some serious engineering into this product. The motor has TONS of torque to power through some of the toughest weeds without breaking a sweat. It's extremely quiet and in fact, when running at higher rpms, the string makes more noise than the engine itself. At idle it will sit there for long periods of time without me needing to worry about it loading up with fuel/oil like a typical 2 stroke. It actually sounds like one of Honda's small generators.

As several had mentioned the head wasn't the greatest, I went ahead and got the high capacity Echo speed-feed head (do an internet search). This head in itself is amazing as it holds tons of string, and you don't have to take it apart or off of the trimmer to reload with string. Highly recommended!
Pros with this trimmer: tons of power, quiet, no gas/oil mixing, idles great, tons of torque, Honda reliability, great build quality, included shoulder strap and googles, 2 year warranty, can be fitted with brush blade, easy to start.

Cons: slightly heavier than others. This really didn't bother me at all since it's well balanced and comes with a shoulder harness/strap. In fact, I experienced less kickback with hitting rocks and fences, I think due in large part to the additional weight. I trimmed for about 4 straight hours and didn't get fatigued in the slightest. Seems to use more fuel than my old 2 stroke trimmer as I had to fill up about 3-4 times and my old one probably would have only been 2 times, however I'm not sure how the gas capacity of each compares and I expect this one to use less fuel once broken in. Also, the engine on the Honda is considerably larger than my old one (35cc versus 28cc).

If you want a very high quality trimmer that should last years and has less noise and headaches, then this is the trimmer for you. Well worth the premium paid for quality!"

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just wondering if anybody is using any Honda trimmers commercially or even just residential? I've been reading a lot about their mini 4 strokes. Not looking to buy one, just looking for some info on them. Thanks for replies

I personally wouldn't waste my money on a Honda trimmer. Reason being there to heavy to use for extended periods, that's one of the reasons nobody using them commercially.There lightest being 13 lbs and there heavy weight is 15.4lbs and I think but not sure about all three but I believe there all Flex cables and there warranty is 1 year on commercial. The HHT35SLTA mentioned does have a 35cc engine and weighs 14.8 but comparing it to the Stihl 110R with the 31cc 4 mix engine @12.1lbs and both costing $379 I wouldn't waste the gas to go look at a Honda.

dfbrown

Threads

I have a 25cc and the 35cc trimmer and the 31cc edger all that honda makes. I origionally bought the 35cc and love it but a little heavy when your trimmer 8 yards in a row non stop and you will use about 30% of the power it has or regular or little higher grass so you wont use the power anyways. the 25cc is 13.2 lbs which is comparable to echos and some stihl models. I use them commercially and I love them. weight is good on the 25cc, smooth smooth power almost electric if that makes sense and engine is very quiet, uses much less fuel then premix fuel thats for sure and you do not smell anything as far as fumes near your head as the trimmer is running. I HATE the 4 mix stuff and friends of mine have them from stihl and shindawai the valves always need adjusted and carbon up pretty bad and the sthil is a nice unit and i like the grip a little better then the honda but NOBODYS gonna tell me those motors are not lightswitches as far as power goes. If you can imagine when you use about say 35% throttle when your just trimming and try to hold it there, the stihls are lightswitches and very hard to hold consistant throttle. I have used the 90s 110s and 130. the 2 stroke 250r doesnt do this which tells me its the charastic of the stihl 4 mix. The honda oil is stupid easy to changes and uses next to nothing. Air filter set up is great and hardly needs cleaning. starts 2nd pull all the time. DUDE its a honda what else can you say there really isnt anything to bash about it. Being picky it could always be lighter sure and a nice rubber grip where your right hand goes would be nice but not necessary. Also you will love the honda trimmer line as its very very quiet and easy to reload. I wouldnt buy anything else!:thumbsup:

smitts961

Threads
Yeah I did notice in the specs that they were a little on the heavy side. I actually just bought a Stihl FS70, which is a 2 stroke, mostly because of all the stuff I've heard about valve problems. I'm sure its not that bad, but just figured I'd go more low maintenance. I am a friend to all equipment though and always love to hear opinions on all kinds of stuff:laughing:! Thanks for the replies!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a 25cc and the 35cc trimmer and the 31cc edger all that honda makes. I origionally bought the 35cc and love it but a little heavy when your trimmer 8 yards in a row non stop and you will use about 30% of the power it has or regular or little higher grass so you wont use the power anyways. the 25cc is 13.2 lbs which is comparable to echos and some stihl models. I use them commercially and I love them. weight is good on the 25cc, smooth smooth power almost electric if that makes sense and engine is very quiet, uses much less fuel then premix fuel thats for sure and you do not smell anything as far as fumes near your head as the trimmer is running. I HATE the 4 mix stuff and friends of mine have them from stihl and shindawai the valves always need adjusted and carbon up pretty bad and the sthil is a nice unit and i like the grip a little better then the honda but NOBODYS gonna tell me those motors are not lightswitches as far as power goes. If you can imagine when you use about say 35% throttle when your just trimming and try to hold it there, the stihls are lightswitches and very hard to hold consistant throttle. I have used the 90s 110s and 130. the 2 stroke 250r doesnt do this which tells me its the charastic of the stihl 4 mix. The honda oil is stupid easy to changes and uses next to nothing. Air filter set up is great and hardly needs cleaning. starts 2nd pull all the time. DUDE its a honda what else can you say there really isnt anything to bash about it. Being picky it could always be lighter sure and a nice rubber grip where your right hand goes would be nice but not necessary. Also you will love the honda trimmer line as its very very quiet and easy to reload. I wouldnt buy anything else!:thumbsup:

Let me see if I get this right I should buy a Honda and settle for a 25cc engine that weighs 13.2 lbs with a 1 year warranty and cost $349 when I can have a Stihl 4 mix 90R with a 28.4cc engine that weighs 11.7 lbs with a 2 year warranty at a cost of $287 icon_scratch.png doesn't seem like a good deal to me and if your friends are telling you they have a Shindaiwa 4 mix unit, well just tell them there dreaming because I don't believe Shin makes a 4 mix. Shindaiwa is nothing more than a glorified Echo.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah I did notice in the specs that they were a little on the heavy side. I actually just bought a Stihl FS70, which is a 2 stroke, mostly because of all the stuff I've heard about valve problems. I'm sure its not that bad, but just figured I'd go more low maintenance. I am a friend to all equipment though and always love to hear opinions on all kinds of stuff:laughing:! Thanks for the replies!

The thing about Honda is and you read about more and more here and on other forums about people having problems with them, someone is always having to have some type of repair done. Few years back they were a great machine but anymore seem they have gone in the toilet.

JSB33

Threads

How does the Honda perform when you turn it up to do edging? And loading up or loss of power?