Honda plastic fan slipping against flyweel when starting

gotflute

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Honda plastic fan slipping against flyweel when starting
New to the forum, but I am having a wonderful issue with my Honda self propelled lawn mower.

Apologizes if this has been talked about a lot, but I couldn't find anything using the search function for the forum.

Lawnmower is about 2 years old. The pull cord seemed to slip when starting, to the point where the pawls do not rotate the flywheel. When I can get the flywheel to turn, the mower starts and runs fine.

It has the GCV160 engine.

Purchased a new pull start assembly from shop in town for $8 (figured it was easier than messing with the existing plastic assembly. Went in easy. Pawls engage, however, after one start... same problem.

Open removing the cover and inspecting the flywheel... the fan assembly bolted to the flywheel (and where the starter engages) is made out of plastic. It seems, even when bolted down with a washer and 3/4" nut, to move when I turn it independent of the flywheel--> so when the starter is engaged, the fan assembly is the only thing turning... slipping against the flywheel.

I have removed the fan by removing the 3/4" nut (requiring a impact wrench and a block to keep the blade from moving along with the flywheel), cleaned it, then reinstalled it, torquing the nut down. Problem is still there...

Is this a common issue on these mowers with this engine? I think these fans used to be made out of metal...? Do i just have a "bad" fan, so replacing this should fix the problem?

Thanks in advance for your time in helping me with this problem.

Jason... in Texas.

Born2Mow

Threads
The Hondas I'm familiar with the pull cord is just the pull cord and rewind spring. The ratchet sits atop the engine fan. Because of its location, the ratchet can get filled with bits of grass and leaves from mowing. You're supposed to blow all that AND the top of he engine off once a year.

Use compressed air or a leaf blower to clean out the ratchet. Do not use WD-40 type products because they'll simply attract MORE trash back to the same area. You may need to use an old tooth brush or similar "stimulator" to get all the trash out. The ratchets usually start to work properly again (for another year) after a thorough cleaning. Shouldn't need any more parts.

DO NOT use a pressure washer because you'll get water into the fuel at the tank and carb. Bad idea !!

Hope this helps.

gotflute

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks for the response.

The pull cord assembly, rachet included, works 100%--> I have replaced that whole unit, secured by 3 bolts to the engine.

My issue is what that whole unit interfaces with: the problem part is bolted to the flywheel with a large 3/4" bolt and large washer. It looks to be the fan assembly that rotates with the flywheel, and is the interface that links up the starting unit, allowing the starter to turn the flywheel...

It is this plastic fan/receiver that seems to be too "lose". If I turn it as hard as the starter would to start the mower, it slides against the flywheel instead of rotating the flywheel (which I what I think it should do).

I can't image this is how the mower should work, but wanted some feedback before just replacing another part...

thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The cup should be held tight by the flywheel nut / bolt ( too lazy the check the parts book )
The fan is sandwiched between the cup & the flywheel
Some have litle pins tp help locate them and if not aligned with their corresponding holes, they act like a spring when you are tightening the flywheel

gotflute

Forum Newbie
Threads
The cup should be held tight by the flywheel nut / bolt ( too lazy the check the parts book )
Ok. thanks. That is what I thought. I assume the 1" washer is the cup.

In my case, the washer/nut doesn't seems to full secure the plastic fan down; hence, the pull start spins the fan, not the fan + flywheel.

"Some have litle pins tp help locate them and if not aligned with their corresponding holes"

Do the pins also lock the fan down, or do are they just there to agined the fan, so it interfaces with the starter properly?

I will consult a exploded diagram to see fi I am missing any bits (sorry, should have done this before posting), and will report back, for others who have wrenches but not expereience working on lawnmowers: the shops here are a two week turnaround, and I thought "why not".

Thanks, all.

~Jason in Texas.

gotflute

Forum Newbie
Threads
For anyone in the studio audience, attached is an exploded view flywheel from the variation of the model 160 engine I own.

The part in question is labeled part #2 in the diagram. It is plastic.

Seeing it is ~$4, I think I'll see if I can source this locally, throw it on there, and see if it fixes the problem. Otherwise, I hate to break something to fix it, but putting something on the bottom of the plastic part to keep it from slipping would, for the time being, "fix" the issue.

Am I wrong that it is weird that this part is made of plastic? Did these used to be metal? Not sure why, when you are design an item to cool something hot while being in the elements, you would use plastic coupled to the metal flywheel by the pressure from a bolt.

At least it gives me something to complain about while my wife comments that the mower does not, in fact, start.

Attachments

• Fan.png
    Fan.png
    81.2 KB · Views: 14

calibrium

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi gotflute,
I understand that I am reviving a fairly old thread. But I ran into the same issue with my Troy Bilt TB240 lawn mower that has a Honda GCV160 engine. Would you happen to have the part number for the plastic fan? And have you had any luck in starting the mower after replacing? Any update or reply would be appreciated!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If the fan is warped or the four plastic post are broken off the fan will move. These four posts [Circles in Red] sits in four holes in the flywheel. There is also a flywheel key area circle in Yellow so the fan only goes on one way.
1652792401074.png

Also there are hundreds of the GCV160 versions out there so you need know exactly you have as the flywheel and fan maybe different.